U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM

13,374 posts, read 7,310,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Can someone please explain to me why anyone in this country (that's not in the military) needs an assault rifle? I have yet to hear an actual reason for owning a weapon whose only purpose is to kill any many people as possible as quickly as possible.
By definition, "assault rifle" is a military rifle that has select fire, meaning it can be used in fully automatic mode. These are already unavailable to the general public unless you go through an extensive background check, and pay a $200 per firearm tax. Also, full auto weapons are VERY expensive as they are no longer allowed to be made nor imported so the supply is very limited. By expensive I mean tens of thousands of dollars and up EACH!

What you are talking about are not "assault rifles". They are military STYLED, but SEMI-AUTOMATIC only. They are no more dangerous than a semi-auto hunting rifle, but because they look military, some people get all upset. People buy these mostly for target shooting as they are fun to shoot and can be very accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:32 AM

13,374 posts, read 7,310,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

Again, Rifleman, I apologize.

And that is how a gentlemen conducts himself!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM

2,584 posts, read 9,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
IMO, if you're not a member of the NRA now, you really should join..
I agree with that, in fact Wed morning (11/5) I joined with a 5 year term.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 PM

545 posts, read 2,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
By definition, "assault rifle" is a military rifle that has select fire, meaning it can be used in fully automatic mode. These are already unavailable to the general public unless you go through an extensive background check, and pay a $200 per firearm tax. Also, full auto weapons are VERY expensive as they are no longer allowed to be made nor imported so the supply is very limited. By expensive I mean tens of thousands of dollars and up EACH!

What you are talking about are not "assault rifles". They are military STYLED, but SEMI-AUTOMATIC only. They are no more dangerous than a semi-auto hunting rifle, but because they look military, some people get all upset. People buy these mostly for target shooting as they are fun to shoot and can be very accurate.
Thank you for your explanation, and for correcting my misunderstanding. Looking back at my question as you quoted it, I can see why it might be construed as being a little angry. For that, I apologize. I am by no means anti-gun, but I have not ever owned a weapon (unless you count the BB gun I owned as a child) and the last time I fired a shotgun, I was in fourth grade. It was not something I was raised with, so I apologize if my ignorance comes across as arrogance.

Now, I do have another question. I remember hearing somewhere (and I apologize that I don't remember where I heard it) that these semi-automatic weapons could be converted to automatic without too much trouble. Is that accurate, or is that the media making things out to be worse than they actually are?

Pilot, thanks again for the explanation.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Thank you for your explanation, and for correcting my misunderstanding. Looking back at my question as you quoted it, I can see why it might be construed as being a little angry. For that, I apologize. I am by no means anti-gun, but I have not ever owned a weapon (unless you count the BB gun I owned as a child) and the last time I fired a shotgun, I was in fourth grade. It was not something I was raised with, so I apologize if my ignorance comes across as arrogance.

Now, I do have another question. I remember hearing somewhere (and I apologize that I don't remember where I heard it) that these semi-automatic weapons could be converted to automatic without too much trouble. Is that accurate, or is that the media making things out to be worse than they actually are?

Pilot, thanks again for the explanation.
I apologize if I misconstrued your original post slaleman.

Someone I think in this thread, but it might have been another on the forum, talked about being able to do it.
While its possible in many cases to convert a semi auto version of a military arm to automatic its not something that just anybody can do.
The earliest civilian versions were the easiest because you could swap out parts. Most of todays guns thats no longer the case. You have to modify the internals & its not very easy to do safely. I think its mostly antigun propaganda since you never hear of it being done.

If you are mechanically inclined its not often difficult to see what needs to happen, making it happen in a controllable way is another matter.

Now, that behind us, Are you considering buying a gun?
If you even think you might like to now is the time. IMO anyway. Even if our new President doesn't push gun control guns will go up in price simply because he might.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,669,058 times
Tuesday, I voted Obama. Wednesday, I went down to the County Courthouse and picked up my first CWP. With a 10 day turn around time from application to issuance, the Sheriff who signed my application will definitely be getting my vote come next election time.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Tuesday, I voted Obama. Wednesday, I went down to the County Courthouse and picked up my first CWP. With a 10 day turn around time from application to issuance, the Sheriff who signed my application will definitely be getting my vote come next election time.
Wise decision. Of course it wont mean much if he gets his way & bans all CWP. But I dont think thats happening anytime soon. Congratulations!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM

51,067 posts, read 29,145,480 times
Good thread Rifleman, and good responses by everyone. Like arctichomesteader said, we need to remind people in the House and the Senate about what happened in November of 1994. I also remember Clinton's words, when pro-gun representatives and senators replaced those who voted for the anti-gun bills that passed in 1993 and 1994. "America, we hear you".

I am a life member of the NRA, since 1987, and I am also a member of the Second Amendment Foundation, so I hope Obama and everyone else in Washington know that we will not stand silent if they try to destroy the Second Amendment.

Take gang bangers and drug dealers off the streets, and keep dangerous criminals locked up. Punish criminals, not decent law-abiding gun owners.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,669,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Wise decision. Of course it wont mean much if he gets his way & bans all CWP. But I dont think thats happening anytime soon. Congratulations!
No, I don't have the slightest unfounded concern about it. Thank you!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 PM

6,111 posts, read 4,865,873 times
The constitution also says that you can "keep and bear arms" it also says in order to have "a well regulated militja". I think we need to do more to have a well regulated militia and should use this to require:
1.Gun owners should have liability insurance to cover them for negligent discharge of their firearms.These policies should be large enough to cover accidental wounding and wrongful death lawsuits. I'll leave it up to tje insurance industry to compute the premiums Also the insurance industry can deside whether they would refuse to sell insurance to those that have mental illness. After all we refuse health insurance to sick people.
2 There should be a regularly scheduled gun safety inspections to insure that the gun meets certain technical requirments for safe operation. Excessive wear or poor alignment of a gun sight would be grounds for removal from service. Just like a poorly maintained car.
3 All gun owners wishing to discharge a gun must have a gun operation license license or a learners permit. The license wouod be granted after you pass a gun operators safety test, had your vision tested and demonstarted at least 20/70 vision with adequate field of view and no major blind spots , and demonstated basic marksmanship. We expect more of car owners than gun owners even though guns kill as nearly as many Americans as cars do. You can have as many cars as you want. The crime is driving them without a valid license. It should be same with guns. Finally, guess what happens to drivers license when you commit a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates