U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times

Advertisements

I DID have another positive idea late in the middle of the night. We recently were enjoying a particularly nice venison roast when my wife bit into something v. hard. Turned out to be a bit of lead shrapnel from the 165gr Hornady spitzer which my son's Win 88 had launched into the target. I had never personally experienced this situation myself, but it of course seems quite possible.

Lead is quite immobile in the environment, as in old shot or an old bullet laying out in a field, given the usual moderate pH (acid or base level) of the soil. But in the highly acidic environment of our stomachs, it will quickly dissolve. Now, I'm sure that having, say, 100mg of pure lead dissolve and enter into your system from just one meal might not be so very good for you short or long term!

So for all MY hunting, I'm changing to 1) premium bonded bullets (keeps the lead firmly attached to the outer bullet shell, or better yet 2) Barnes solid brass/bronze alloy types. For birds, I've pretty much changed to steel or, preferably, bismuth or any of the other new hybrids.

Point is, why couldn''t we agree to all do this and propose it, among other positive things, in a pro-active presentation to the Fed Fish & Wildlife. No banning of lead bullets, but just for most hunting apps. Within proper limits, it would be seen as an effort on the part of sportsmen to introduce and manage a visible "green effect". Frankly, the cost to us would be minimal, as you wouldn't have to use the higher priced versions for sighting in, target use or varmint hunting. Just the final few bullets we use to dispatch our intended edible big game in the field.

To cap this idea off, you do know, right, that there are groups out there right now who already want to ban all lead bullets as being somehow cruel to the animals, or as causing problems in the field through unintended ingestion of shot pellets in some wetlands (actually it has happened here in WA St. Migrating swans out on Puget Sound have died due to ingestion of #7.5 lead shot that has been sitting out there in the tide flats for >>20 years).

A couple of otherwise harmless shooting club ranges out here in the Pacific NW have been successfully shut down by ill-informed local activist legislators pandering to the unjustified fear of lead leaching into the aquifer. That, FYI, just doesn't happen. In the worst case of a somewhat acidic soil substrate, as in a pine or coastal rain forest, the target range owners can occasionally "mine" the spent lead off the site, and can also spread a layer of lime on the soil to raise the pH.

We would just be heading their restrictive ideas off at the pass and simultaneously we'd be seen as being positively pro-active. Instead of just beligerent and against any and all of their "good" ideas.

Well, just an idea...

Last edited by rifleman; 11-15-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
Default Update, much later on!

As an FFL dealer, I'm now under fairly constant barrage about getting primers, brass and bullets for my reloading customers. Pretty hard to do, and it appears to not just be a temprary thing.

Any ideas from you guys? I've heard that there may have been some "wink-wink, nudge-nudging" going on from the new Admin Justice Dept guys, who are going to introduce a legislated requirement that all new ammo be serial numbered, along with the bullets. About as likely as serial-numbering Mcdonald's burgers, yes?

What's next? We'll need to step on the neck of that expensive lunacy as well, but meantime you may want to stock up on your hunting and target components.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:49 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,855,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
As an FFL dealer, I'm now under fairly constant barrage about getting primers, brass and bullets for my reloading customers. Pretty hard to do, and it appears to not just be a temprary thing.
I think it will last at least 4 years and maybe 8. As you know the demand for all things gun related is just through the roof. I hope you are not one of those dealers that is taking advantage of this surge in buying and raising your prices.

Quote:
Any ideas from you guys? I've heard that there may have been some "wink-wink, nudge-nudging" going on from the new Admin Justice Dept guys, who are going to introduce a legislated requirement that all new ammo be serial numbered, along with the bullets. About as likely as serial-numbering Mcdonald's burgers, yes?
The ammo serialization was shot down (pun intended) in committe last year in the MS state legislature - link. Basically some guy thought up this idea and patented it. He then hired a firm to draft legislation. Finally that same firm lobbied (aka legally bribed) state reps to introduce it. If you listen to the NRA interview with this guy, it has never even been put to a proof of concept -
link. If this legislation ever gets passed, this guy gets a fee for every one of the BILLIONS of rounds of ammo manufactured. It will also put an end to re-loading and imports.

Quote:
What's next? We'll need to step on the neck of that expensive lunacy as well, but meantime you may want to stock up on your hunting and target components.
I think the DOD de-milling of spent brass last week was just a test to see how the gun community would react. At least we were swift and vocal about it which resulted in a positive outcome for us....I'm stocking up when I can find something to buy. Lake City Armory sold out of 250,000 rounds of .223 in 6 hours when they put it up on their web site.

-Robert

Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,689,444 times
Quote:
To cap this idea off, you do know, right, that there are groups out there right now who already want to ban all lead bullets as being somehow cruel to the animals, or as causing problems in the field through unintended ingestion of shot pellets in some wetlands (actually it has happened here in WA St. Migrating swans out on Puget Sound have died due to ingestion of #7.5 lead shot that has been sitting out there in the tide flats for >>20 years).
This has also led to the death of California Condors - an extremely endangered species.

Condors are scavengers, and a hunter's gutpile is about as inviting a meal as you can provide for a them. Having it laced with lead is a virtual death sentence. BURY YOUR GUTPILES! (please )

I'm a very avid pro-gun citizen, and I'm not an enviro-nut or anything, but I do care about the environment and the wildlife out there, and I have a particular interest in birds. Using lead-free ammo for hunting, and/or burying your gutpiles just makes sense.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
anti gun is demonic. neither GOP nor democrat, if democrat owns its mores the pity.
there is no opposition to gang bang ownership at all ---just working people with a clean record ---something does not smell right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates