Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:08 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times

Advertisements

Watching the evening news here in the West at about 6:00pm, Nov. 4th, I'm witnessing a probable Landslide Victory for Barak Obama. This election is, after all, a referendum by the masses on 1) The Iraq War, 2) The Economy, 3) The Federal Government's responses to Katrina and 4) The perception of Big Business's greed and their apathy to us citizens. True or not. Valid or otherwise. Given the attitude and apparent arrogant behavior of Messers Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeldt and Ms. Rice over the past 8 years, did we expect otherwise?

How to proceed in a positive way now? I'll understand if you disagree on my thoughts noted above, but it's likely that new gun control legislation will arise. Even if McCain pulls a rabbit out of his hat, its likely that the House and Senate will be at the least under majority Dem control, and it's even possible the Democrats will hold a supermajority in at least one of these venues.

I'd suggest that we all make letter or e-mail contact with our newly elected or returned Members of Congress and the Senate, regardless of their party affiliation, and let them know, pleasantly and positively, that as per the FBI's latest Uniform Crime Report, local (city, county, state) firearms crime is down due to Concealed Carry Permits, that the Assault Weapons Ban sunsetted for a reason (it had no measurable effect on crime), and whatever other rational statistics are available. Post valid supporting numbers if and when you find them. Suggest that our elected officials should be careful not to blame innocent law-abiding gun owning citizens for the behavior of criminals and illegal immigrant criminals taking advantage of our falled Border Security measures. Additionally, you might remind them that the shooting sports build family values of bonding, positive father and mother interactions with their sons and daughters, and that it also generates team spirit when the shooters are on a team or if they represent their school, county and state.

IMO, if you're not a member of the NRA now, you really should join.

Your ideas here will be welcomed and openly discussed, hopefully in a friendly and positive exchange forum. Please; we have enough problems on this topic. Let's keep this discussion civil. To that point, let's note that this isn't a thread for the vitriolic comments and insults of anti-gunners. I'd respectfully recommend to them that strident anti-gun rhetoric belongs on another thread. Thanks!

To our participants, I'd advise the following:
if the "the gun control special interest lobby" trys to butt in, we should be systematically but politely ignore them as it isn't the intent, stated topic or focus of this particular thread. Just don't respond to any taunts or insults. Know when you're being baited and take some enjoyment in not feeding their ire. For that, thanks!

With that....

Last edited by rifleman; 11-04-2008 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
Some good thoughts here. I'm nervous about this issue, as well as a number of others, given the direction in which the country is apparently heading, at least for now. However, it is better to do something to protect your rights than just to complain. About the last part of your post, concerning how to handle people who butt in with taunts and the like, well, that's not supposed to happen in this Great Debates forum which is supposed to have been created with the intent of promoting more civil and high-minded debate than we see at the Politics forum. Let's hope that turns out to be the case. We shall see.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
Our Constitution gives us the right to "keep and bear arms"--don't let our elected officials forget that--and if they do, vote them out!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,869,653 times
time to load up on some Remington stock (as an investor). As a patriot, it's time to load up on some semi automatic weapons before the assault weapons ban is reinstated. Plus, I reckon they'll sell for a nice premium on the black market. Not sure where this quote came from but, "the second amendment wasn't meant for hunting bambi, it was meant for hunting politicians."

Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Thats a good idea Rifleman.
I'm pretty much in constant contact with my legislators anyway & they know how I feel. I think if more people contacted them on a regular basis, not just when something raises hackles, they would take it more seriously. As it stands I get the feeling when talking to them that although they understand that its obvious that relaxed carry laws & crime decreasing at the same time make any argument that more gun control will reduce crime silly, they get much more pressure from both the constituency & their colleges to back more of it. Same with the assault weapons ban.
We still have one in CT & like the federal one its had no impact on crime. But they dont hear enough from gun owners that it should be repealed.

They bank on the majority of us ignoring it or maybe because most do not write or call thy feel we are alright with it. I have to think that if we all made ourselves heard it would go much further than thinking the NRA or GOA or whatever lobby group you choose to support is enough. Theres nothing like a phone call or written letter from a constituent.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
The best thing you can do to insure the future right to own firearms would be to take your kids out on an outing with a .22 rifle and a few empty pop cans (just remember to pick them up and take to a recycler). See if you can get a few of your kids friends and their parents interested in going along too. If they are not into shooting sports introduce it to them. A .22 rifle and a few tin cans in a safe area to shoot can be an experience that a kid will always cherish.

GL2

Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,161 times
Can someone please explain to me why anyone in this country (that's not in the military) needs an assault rifle? I have yet to hear an actual reason for owning a weapon whose only purpose is to kill any many people as possible as quickly as possible.

And what's with all the fear that the government is going to take away your guns? Obama actually supports the second amendment.

Guns - Issues - Election Center 2008 - CNN.com

Voted for 2006 amendment prohibiting confiscation of firearms from private citizens, particularly during times of crisis or emergency

Old 11-05-2008, 07:30 AM

18,354 posts, read 26,479,237 times
We need to keep on top of the repubs in the senate to filibuster any gun bans. There are some dems who will not go along with the gun banners like pelosi et al and we need to make sure they know we aren't in the mood for that garbage. Make sure they know 2010 will be another 1994 if they try anything.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 AM

68 posts, read 265,197 times
Good ideas rifleman. Adding to gunluvver2's suggestion on kids and .22's. The NRA supports a program called Women On Target. My club sponsors 3-4 events a year. For a nominal fee ($20-$30) the ladies receive basic training on safety and firearm operation for about an hour then about 2 hours of range time with a club member. All guns and ammunition are furnished, though they are free to bring their own gun. The events are usually grouped by pistol, rifle or shotgun. With rifle or pistol they usually start with a .22 then can move up to something larger (like those evil assault rifles). Lots of smiling faces, especially once they hit a few 10 rings or break a clay.

The club occasionally sponsors events for the general public also. If you can get some media there so much the better - assuming they're not going to do a hit piece. It is a great experience for everyone and they can learn that guns have nothing to do with hunting necessarily. It's amazing how many people think an AR-15 (so called assault rifle for the non-gunnies reading) is a machine gun.

The more people we can get involved and the more kids the better.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,339 times
It's premature to assume that President Obama will issue executive orders or sign constitutional amendments to take away people's guns. I don't think there's an interest in confiscating your Glock 9 mil or your Kalashnikov collector's item as much as there's a concern about the irresponsible proliferation of firearms by and to the wrong hands.

In fact, it's not premature; it's simply not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates