U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM

113 posts, read 154,515 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I also found this amazing set of suggestions. Just how could we get this in front of President Obama? It's very good stuff!

Western Standard

I'll be quiet now. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by thotful1; 11-06-2008 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: a typo error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:54 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,948,477 times
Quote:
Now That We Have a Black President Elect, Can We Abolish the NAACP?

Who is "we"?

As well, what if anything, is it that the NAACP has done to you specifically that you think "we" should abolish it?

Last edited by backfist; 11-06-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 12:05 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,039,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Senator Obama's ancestors were not slaves. They owned them.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/548552,CST-NWS-otreemain09.article (broken link)
He's 1 black man in this country. I'm not implying that he's from slaves. But the majority of blacks here are. Why do you think they have last name like Collins, Harper, White, Smith, Perry, Jackson, McGrath, etc. Those are their former masters' names.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 AM

956 posts, read 2,647,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Here's why: because of the First Amendment. People are free to organize for whatever reason they wish (other than committing crimes or putting on an armed rebellion), and you are free to bash them to your heart's content. The most you can do against a non-profit is revoke its tax-exempt status; but even that would be a tall order when it comes to the NAACP. No government in the US has the authority to abolish a private organization.
Yes, I know they're free to organize, but there's also no social stigma attached to such an organization, though shouldn't there be? Just try starting an NAAWP and see what results.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,137,411 times
I am really not in favor of any kind of racist organization and the NAACP has always been racist. It is for the advancement of one race only. That is racist! I have friends that are members, but I always wondered why they would join such an organization.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,948,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am really not in favor of any kind of racist organization and the NAACP has always been racist. It is for the advancement of one race only. That is racist! I have friends that are members, but I always wondered why they would join such an organization.
Did you ever ask your racist "friends" why they are members? Or perhaps you don't want to know the answer.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:44 AM

272 posts, read 430,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
And for that matter, all other racially based organizations for so-called "minorities", that were once intended to thwart "institutional racism"? If not, I'd like to hear why.
How about abolishing religious conservatives too?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,846,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Senator Obama's ancestors were not slaves. They owned them.

Son of presidents and tribal chiefs :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: News (http://www.suntimes.com/news/548552,CST-NWS-otreemain09.article - broken link)
This is true.

I think it's a nice development to see someone who isn't completely white, but Obama's not as ground-breaking as people think. First of all, we're not the first democracy to elect someone of a different race to lead. Second of all, Obama is half-white and his black half is not descended from slaves and both of his parents were highly educated with advanced degrees. Finally, he's a Harvard graduate who "sounds white".

When we see a true black person get elected, like the presidents in "The 5th Element" or "Idiocracy", then we can say that color is no longer a factor. Until then, Obama should only be considered the first grey president and not the first black one.

Look at the following:
Harvard Law
Columbia University
Professor at U-Chicago
White Mother with Ph.D
Father has graduate degree from Harvard

So if this is the big change in the background of the president, why does it look so much like all the others?

I'd like to see:
Self-made millionaire
Reformed Convicted Felon turned preacher
Mother was on welfare and food stamps while working at Popeyes
No idea who his father is

Yeah, right.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,605,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
And for that matter, all other racially based organizations for so-called "minorities", that were once intended to thwart "institutional racism"? If not, I'd like to hear why.
Because institutional racism has not been thwarted.

This was one of my fears about Obama's win. That all of a sudden, people would think racism doesn't exist any more. It does. I don't think it's as bad as it was in the 60's, but don't think for a minute that there are people passed over for jobs because of the color of their skin.

Now, the NAACP started out with good intentions, I believe. But just as with anything, infighting and politics get in the way. There are, unfortunately, a significant amout of African American's who believe in reverse discrimitation, and are just as bigoted as KKK members.

Just the fact that we even had to have a discussion on Obama's race, or whether or not he's "black enough" shows that race is still a factor, subconciously or not.

Until the day comes that EVERYONE can be treated equally, without any negative ideas about a person because of his name or skin color, and no need to hire someone because "he's a brother" or not hire them because "he's a conservative white guy", there will still be a need for organizations to speak up for various minority rights.

But yes, there is a double standard. One cannot develop a "Society for the Advancement of White People" without being called a racist.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,022,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
As well, what if anything, is it that the NAACP has done to you specifically that you think "we" should abolish it?
I think that the irrational hatred of that organization stems from the years of white amerika being bashed for being racist. It is just the natural backlash directed towards an organization that is by its very nature racist. I could care less about it myself, like you said, it does not effect me at all. But when one group of people organizes to do the same thing that they say is wrong with others, it just seems stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or