U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:32 PM
 
253 posts, read 937,161 times
Reputation: 265

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Because institutional racism has not been thwarted.

This was one of my fears about Obama's win. That all of a sudden, people would think racism doesn't exist any more.
"Wow Hilary Clinton just got elected as President everybody!! I guess sexism will never exist anymore! Yep that's right, as of the day of her election, sexism no longer exists people! It disappeared that very night! Dismantle all of the womens' rights groups, take away the shelters for abused and battered women, shut down all of the private organizations and dismiss all of the cases for sexual harassment and discrimination from now on. They no longer serve ANY purpose whatsoever!! We have a woman for president! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!"
Interesting how absolutely inane and mindless a certain brand of logic looks when you dress it up in a different outfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM
 
956 posts, read 2,646,924 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well, according to the rules, *reasonable* reply in a debate forum consists of more than telling a person they need a dictionary.
If you don't want to explain your "Where did I say that" question, fine, I will simply bow out--I agree that there is only so much that can be said.
I never stated that I wanted to ban any organization, yet a poster stated that I indeed said that I did in the title of this thread. Where exactly am I supposed to go with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2008, 04:14 AM
 
1,218 posts, read 3,582,943 times
Reputation: 1141
You can't abolish any race-centric organizations. Racism is big money in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 AM
 
18,111 posts, read 16,453,088 times
Reputation: 9748
I'd say it has pretty much outlived its usefulness now, even as early as maybe 10 years ago. Were there any organizations that pushed for getting african americans to play professional sports on all white teams after Jackie Robinson was allowed to play? Maybe for a few years. Affirmative action is also going to quickly go the way of the dinosaur.
I have to wonder though how Obama will be treated. Will he be criticized just for being biracial no matter how he does, or will his being biracial be reason to make excuses or to puff up his accomplishments? Those that only see race will be his worst enemies, white or black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 AM
 
31,990 posts, read 17,268,878 times
Reputation: 34701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
I never stated that I wanted to ban any organization, yet a poster stated that I indeed said that I did in the title of this thread. Where exactly am I supposed to go with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
And for that matter, all other racially based organizations for so-called "minorities", that were once intended to thwart "institutional racism"? If not, I'd like to hear why.

When you title a thread, "...Can We Abolish the NAACP?" and "If not, I'd like to hear why?" what are posters supposed to believe?

It sounds like you are using "we" a little freely.

What is the mission of the NAACP? And how is the election of Obama providing just cause to abolish the NAACP? Do you feel it is part of a "reverse discrimination"?

And what specific activities fall outside of the NAACP mission by its members that Huckleberry raises? Shouldn't those activities be addressed rather than abolishing the whole for the actions of a few?

Conversely, should the KKK should have been abolished when Jimmy Carter was elected? (Okay, sarcasm there, and not a logical one, but you get the point.)

NAACP Mission

The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.

Vision Statement

The vision of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights and there is no racial hatred or racial discrimination.


*NAACP - Our Mission (http://www.naacp.org/about/mission/index.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
 
956 posts, read 2,646,924 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
When you title a thread, "...Can We Abolish the NAACP?" and "If not, I'd like to hear why?" what are posters supposed to believe?

It sounds like you are using "we" a little freely.

What is the mission of the NAACP? And how is the election of Obama providing just cause to abolish the NAACP? Do you feel it is part of a "reverse discrimination"?

And what specific activities fall outside of the NAACP mission by its members that Huckleberry raises? Shouldn't those activities be addressed rather than abolishing the whole for the actions of a few?

Conversely, should the KKK should have been abolished when Jimmy Carter was elected? (Okay, sarcasm there, and not a logical one, but you get the point.)

NAACP Mission

The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.

Vision Statement

The vision of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights and there is no racial hatred or racial discrimination.


*NAACP - Our Mission (http://www.naacp.org/about/mission/index.htm - broken link)
I am wondering why the leadership of the NAACP does not disband the NAACP. Why do they not state that, since we now have a "Black" president (though he's also White and Arab), we no longer need an organization which is intended to advance Black people in the U.S., because it has now been demonstrated that somebody who is not White can be elected into the most important job in the U.S.

Furthermore, I know what the NAACP actually means in their mission statement, as do others like me who pay attention to these things, just as we know what codewords such as "diversity" and so fourth are intended to convey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2008, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,091 posts, read 10,488,886 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
I am wondering why the leadership of the NAACP does not disband the NAACP. Why do they not state that, since we now have a "Black" president (though he's also White and Arab), we no longer need an organization which is intended to advance Black people in the U.S., because it has now been demonstrated that somebody who is not White can be elected into the most important job in the U.S.
Your arguments carry more weight when you're not spouting urban legends about Obama. Is Barack Obama a Muslim? - Urban Legends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2008, 04:44 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Reputation: 6944
No because racism will live on forever. Also Blacks will probably always be a minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2008, 05:52 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 4,337,401 times
Reputation: 850
Default You mean a

bi-racial president -elect? I do not consider him to be a "Black President," when the mother that GAVE BIRTH TO HIM, was a WHITE woman!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 03:11 AM
 
956 posts, read 2,646,924 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Your arguments carry more weight when you're not spouting urban legends about Obama. Is Barack Obama a Muslim? - Urban Legends
Where did I say Obama is a Muslim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top