Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times

Advertisements

Would eliminating income tax and replacing it with a national sales tax be a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yes.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 AM

I like the idea of a national sales tax because a consumption based tax would be fairer all around. If someone wants to live the high life, they would pay for it. My reservations with it are that it might discourage consumerism in this country, and encourage people to seek out the higher end items in other countries (via mail or other methods) and essentially avoid the tax. I also wonder if it would create a black market for high end items.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Would eliminating income tax and replacing it with a national sales tax be a good idea?
Makes it tougher for the faux Robin Hoods to keep the peasants in their place...
Makes it tougher for the covetous covey with compulsions to count the other guy's coin.

Sounds good to me!
I'm in!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I love the idea.. It would convince people to save more money when they saw just how much things cost

The problem is twofold though

The government would probably take less money in, which would cause things to be cut
A national sales tax would probably lead to large job losses, if people decide to save more money, that means less money going out for things

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I like the idea of a national sales tax because a consumption based tax would be fairer all around. If someone wants to live the high life, they would pay for it. My reservations with it are that it might discourage consumerism in this country, and encourage people to seek out the higher end items in other countries (via mail or other methods) and essentially avoid the tax. I also wonder if it would create a black market for high end items.
And we don't have that black market now? "Augment," maybe, but certainly not "create."

Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
There already is a black market for high-end items.

No, I think if you add on, say, x% tax on like all non-essential items, the people with the most money would still spend the most money and pay the most taxes. Leave the tax off the 'essentials,' and you won't be unfairly overtaxing the 'poor.' Essentials could include unprepared groceries (like many states already don't tax this) and meds.

Any additions to this already highly progressive tax system has already got me thinking about curtailing my own consumerism...taxing the rich usually means they spend less money anyway, so I don't think you need to worry about that. And I think it has the additional effect of getting people to prioritize where, when, and how they spend their money.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There already is a black market for high-end items.

No, I think if you add on, say, x% tax on like all non-essential items, the people with the most money would still spend the most money and pay the most taxes. Leave the tax off the 'essentials,' and you won't be unfairly overtaxing the 'poor.' Essentials could include unprepared groceries (like many states already don't tax this) and meds.

Any additions to this already highly progressive tax system has already got me thinking about curtailing my own consumerism...taxing the rich usually means they spend less money anyway, so I don't think you need to worry about that. And I think it has the additional effect of getting people to prioritize where, when, and how they spend their money.
Stan,
Seems like you are saying that a receding tide lowers all boats. I agree. Punitive taxation hurts everyone.

As far as excluding essentials, I would prefer the "tax it all" and "prebate" to cover essentials.

I'm not wild about a "prebate," (and I dislike the term) as it creates another dependency, but I think it is inevitable with a National Sales Tax.
Fact is, there would need to be some sort of general welfare to replace the EITC, and so there will be government checks issued anyway.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I love the idea.. It would convince people to save more money when they saw just how much things cost

The problem is twofold though

The government would probably take less money in, which would cause things to be cut
A national sales tax would probably lead to large job losses, if people decide to save more money, that means less money going out for things
It seems to me not many people are able to save much with the current tax structure. At least I would have the choice whether to spend my money on the big screen t.v. or put it in savings. The government probably would take in less money, but maybe that would encourage the government to spend less money on wasteful programs.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:

Yep. Would be much more ethical to that punishing people for working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates