U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,178,004 times

Advertisements

the reader comments for the Chicago based papers are a mess. most are vile, racist rants. the vast majority, REGARDLESS of the article, all seem to turn into a "let's bash Obama and the Dems!" thread. seriously, no matter what the article is about, people on these comments boards always manage to turn it into some partisan issue or brings in a racist tirade.

I often see people mentioned in the story hopping into the comments section to defend themselves. it's especially sad when a discussion board is left open for a tragic death and blame for the death is placed on the victim and that victim's family must defend their dead love one on some stupid discussion board. there was one example when a 20 something year old guy was crossing a busy road and got killed. people on the discussion board bashed him for being stupid for crossing that road. some even accused him of holding up traffic and making them late. someone who said they were the victim's relative commented on the rude comments. I can't imagine what I'd do if i was in that situation and say my dead friend or relative bashed and degraded online like that

the smart papers will not allow discussion for a hot topic subject that's bound to incite some nasty comments (for example, coverage of the Jennifer Hudson murder case tends not to have any open discussion going).

IMO, comments should be disallowed for tragic deaths (too much playing of the blame game) and in instances where a crime was committed, but there's not much information available (b/c then everyone jumps on w/ crude racist comments). in the end, it's just a forum for people to spread their hate w/o check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times
I work for a newspaper....so I'll keep my comments to myself in case my boss reads around on here.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:42 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
The paper, and anyone else, can call me, and anyone else, anything they'd like to call me.

It would probably be kinda patronizing to think that I'm in favor of complete freedom of speech yet I had completely overlooked the idea of defamation.
Would you extend this as far as having "the paper, or anyone else" put a sign in your front yard saying "sexual predator lives here"? How does the sign convey the message any differently than publication in an online paper?

Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,637,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Would you extend this as far as having "the paper, or anyone else" put a sign in your front yard saying "sexual predator lives here"? How does the sign convey the message any differently than publication in an online paper?
They could put the sign on public property (or private property for which they have permission to put it), sure. I probably wouldn't give them permission to put it on my property--I wouldn't want a sign on my property saying, "Excellent musician lives here" either.

Part of my angle is that I want people to be more skeptical. Just because someone says something--regardless of what it is that they're saying, that shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Allowing defamation helps that. I don't agree that giving the impression that we only allow people to say things "if they're true" (even just a narrow class of things) is a good idea.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:57 PM

765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
But how many times have people been convicted in the media but not the court of law .... But after all is said and done their life is over??? remember the security guard down in Atlanta after the bombings??? Tung your are absolutely right and wrong....

Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM

218 posts, read 680,191 times
I totally agree with Freedom of Speech, everyone should be able to express their thoughts no matter how warped and distorted.

With that said, I cannot remember the last time I even glanced at a newspaper other than brief Chicago Tribune breaking news alerts via email -- let alone the TV News or Radio (absolutely NEVER).

The Internet has TOTALLY replaced all three as it allows one to choose what they want to read; the option to click & scroll or NOT to click & scroll. It's a beautiful thing, this Internet! (Best of all, I have "upgraded" to an old AOL 7.0 version that does not have that Welcome "News" screen garbage in my face anymore )

I bet I'm not the only one who reports to message forums first to get the "real scoops" without all the garbage. Heck, the Sports fans on message forums are more in tune with the issues than the supposed "journalists" in mainstream Media anyways. Casual Internet posters have no agendas-conflicts of interest to protect and profit from!
They (the Media) can all go chuck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Newspapers do this solely to add to their readership - which helps them to sell ads. They literally encourage this sort of vileness and cruelty for profit. I used to work for a newspaper that proudly 'pioneered' the anonymous comment, and frequently printed the vile postings so as to enhance their readership base.... Their own lives are so pathetic and lustreless that they have to entertain and vent themselves on cruelty... and the media joyfully feeds that sick desperate need, because they profit thereby.
Thanks for an excellent post!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,115,151 times
You're welcome, and ditto on the Internet.

I used to have to read newspapers from all across the country and overseas for my position - I would skim 40 every morning for two hours before I went to work, right there at my desk, on the Internet. I could not only read what the news was, but have a more global appreciation of what other interpretations were of financial dealings, political happenings, and social impacts. US newspapers are solely concerned with their own interpretation of say, Russian politics or the euro debate in Ireland (and those interpretations are usually very far off the mark). They are more interested in getting out the local and national news FIRST, rather than accurately. Rather than listen to two or three talking heads debate a topic from their own viewpoints for seven emotionally-charged minutes, I could go to the source and read for myself the actions and reactions of others, who were either involved or who actually knew and understood the situation.

The internet has put so much information out there, available to all - the problem is that so few truly take advantage of it, preferring the Sturm und Drang of their own little world, their own pre-programmed prejudiced interpretations. The newsapers that cater to this secular worldview are the worst at providing information, and the best at stirring emotional bias and angst. I have no time for, and no interest in, their emotional manipulations for profit.

They, like the banks, loan companies, and car makers should suffer the consequences of their actions - but I see where some legislators think it is a good idea to bail them out too. Sigh. Like they aren't 'nationalized' enough already...

Old 12-10-2008, 07:39 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
I don't see why they have it anymore, there's not enough room but for a few...and usually the editor puts in the most controversial and insane comments instead of the thought provoking ones.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
CNI CNI started this thread

194 posts, read 510,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
I cannot remember the last time I even glanced at a newspaper other than brief Chicago Tribune breaking news alerts via email -- let alone the TV News or Radio (absolutely NEVER).

The Internet has TOTALLY replaced all three as it allows one to choose what they want to read.

I bet I'm not the only one who reports to message forums first to get the "real scoops" without all the garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I used to have to read newspapers from all across the country and overseas for my position - I would skim 40 every morning for two hours before I went to work, right there at my desk, on the Internet.

They are more interested in getting out the local and national news FIRST, rather than accurately.
I understand both of your comments - especially with regards to national or international stories and occurrences.

However, with LOCAL news coverage there really is (usually) no alternative/choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or