U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,858 posts, read 43,592,994 times
Reputation: 58603

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The best way to fight terrorism is with soft diplomacy.
Clinton tried soft diplomacy after the USS Cole....the terrorist response was 9/11. People are radicals because they don't have the capacity to think rationally.This is why a 'lets be friends' attitude will never work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Status: "Vote out white supremacy" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,827 posts, read 3,765,431 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Clinton tried soft diplomacy after the USS Cole....the terrorist response was 9/11. People are radicals because they don't have the capacity to think rationally.This is why a 'lets be friends' attitude will never work.
Bullmalarky, terrorists are fueled by a reason to be angry. The US has given them too many (occupation of Iraq, favoritism towards Israel, etc.). My OP did not offer a "lets be friends attitude" - it was more about "lets be gone" and "lets project an attitude of decency (not insults ala Bush & Cheney) and fair play"

The moment Obama was elected, worldwide anger towards the US dropped dramatically because we projected a message of equality and fairness. Terrorist recruits dropped as well, no question (sorry, impossible to have a source on that but I beleive it is true).

Symbolism goes a long, long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,858 posts, read 43,592,994 times
Reputation: 58603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Bullmalarky, terrorists are fueled by a reason to be angry. The US has given them too many (occupation of Iraq, favoritism towards Israel, etc.). My OP did not offer a "lets be friends attitude" - it was more about "lets be gone" and "lets project an attitude of decency (not insults ala Bush & Cheney) and fair play"

The moment Obama was elected, worldwide anger towards the US dropped dramatically because we projected a message of equality and fairness. Terrorist recruits dropped as well, no question (sorry, impossible to have a source on that but I beleive it is true).

Symbolism goes a long, long way.
I respect your right to believe that....but you are wrong. Maybe you could do some additional research into the history of these terrorist and see this was a problem long before US foreign policy was an issue with them. When they don't have the world to target for whatever reason...they kill their own countrymen. They have a gang, clan, mob mentality and trying to compromise with them is fruitless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Reputation: 14837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Bullmalarky, terrorists are fueled by a reason to be angry.
Yes, they are brainwashed and recruited at a young impressionable age in the mosques by few religious leaders bestowing their own hatred and beliefs into these young men so they grow up to be terrorists.

This isn't something that happens overnight, for most of then they are groomed for this from very young ages.

------------------

I posted this on another thread but it should be posted on everyone of these threads where people are suggesting we negotiate with hese people:


See that box in the air?




Know what it is?


Scenes From Russia's Deadly Siege, Russian TV Airs Siege Footage; Thousands Rally Against Terror - CBS News


Do you really think you can negotiate or make friends with people like that? These terrorist acts have been escalating since the 70's, this isn't something that has suddenly appeared. It's only getting worse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,858 posts, read 43,592,994 times
Reputation: 58603
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you really think you can negotiate or make friends with people like that? These terrorist acts have been escalating since the 70's, this isn't something that has suddenly appeared. It's only getting worse...
Meanwhile, the streets of the southern town of Beslan were crowded with funeral processions, and mourners gathered at the muddy cemetery to bury children with their favorite toys.

I think the above paragraph from the article you posted says it all. I refuse to let my grandchildren be in danger because of these idiots due to the inability of my own government to deal with them. They deserve nothing but a one way ticket to the virgin filled land of their dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland about 20 miles NW of DC
6,111 posts, read 4,870,133 times
Reputation: 2419
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes, they are brainwashed and recruited at a young impressionable age in the mosques by few religious leaders bestowing their own hatred and beliefs into these young men so they grow up to be terrorists.

This isn't something that happens overnight, for most of then they are groomed for this from very young ages.

------------------

I posted this on another thread but it should be posted on everyone of these threads where people are suggesting we negotiate with hese people:


See that box in the air?




Know what it is?


Scenes From Russia's Deadly Siege, Russian TV Airs Siege Footage; Thousands Rally Against Terror - CBS News


Do you really think you can negotiate or make friends with people like that? These terrorist acts have been escalating since the 70's, this isn't something that has suddenly appeared. It's only getting worse...



You are right, this didn't appear overnight. Russia has been at war with the Islamic world for centuries. It began when Russia made contact with the Turks 500 years ago in the Ukraine and escalated when Czar Alexander I and Nickolas I moved to add Central Asia and the Caucasus to the Russian Empire. Russia tried to erase the language, culture and religion of these places. Russia even forced people to Russify their names. In Soviet times Islam was an anti-state activity that put millions into the Gulag. One man's terrorism is another man's patriotic fight against anothers abuse. Russia has blood on its hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 03:59 PM
 
11,311 posts, read 16,829,769 times
Reputation: 5531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Bullmalarky, terrorists are fueled by a reason to be angry. The US has given them too many (occupation of Iraq, favoritism towards Israel, etc.). My OP did not offer a "lets be friends attitude" - it was more about "lets be gone" and "lets project an attitude of decency (not insults ala Bush & Cheney) and fair play"

The moment Obama was elected, worldwide anger towards the US dropped dramatically because we projected a message of equality and fairness. Terrorist recruits dropped as well, no question (sorry, impossible to have a source on that but I beleive it is true).

Symbolism goes a long, long way.
Al Qaeda was on the move long before Bush was in office and thus long before Iraq was occupied. And anyone who takes even a casual glance can see that the majority of Iraqis do not like Al Qaeda much at all.

As for "projecting an attitude of decency", that strikes one as absurd given the obvious fact that Al Qaeda employs beheadings and bombings of the innocent as well as toppling the odd skyscraper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Status: "Vote out white supremacy" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,827 posts, read 3,765,431 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I respect your right to believe that....but you are wrong. Maybe you could do some additional research into the history of these terrorist and see this was a problem long before US foreign policy was an issue with them. When they don't have the world to target for whatever reason...they kill their own countrymen. They have a gang, clan, mob mentality and trying to compromise with them is fruitless.
I hear what you're saying, there are some groups born to hate the west. But, I don't think the scope is big enough to commit so much money, lives, pollution, and hate in a circle of one-up-manship.

As bad as 911 was it was still just 4,000 lives... we lose 40,000 on the highways every year and many more to cigarettes and bad food/health habits. I'm a pacifist so I say go soft, stay home, tighten up here, don't get embarrassed by poor airport security, don't let anyone run freely months on end, etc. Improve everything at home, we've been neglecting ourselves and putting out a bad message worldwide. Yes, before Bush as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 AM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Reputation: 14837
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You are right, this didn't appear overnight. Russia has been at war with the Islamic world for centuries. It began when Russia made contact with the Turks 500 years ago in the Ukraine and escalated when Czar Alexander I and Nickolas I moved to add Central Asia and the Caucasus to the Russian Empire. Russia tried to erase the language, culture and religion of these places. Russia even forced people to Russify their names. In Soviet times Islam was an anti-state activity that put millions into the Gulag. One man's terrorism is another man's patriotic fight against anothers abuse. Russia has blood on its hands.
The same thing can be said about just every major society in the world, most major religions and you can include the slaughter of American Indians here. I'm sure I could go back a century or two and find a grievance about the persecution of my ancestors too...

The Islamic society in this region may or may not have legitimate complaints against Russia in modernn times but I'm sure you can agree packing a gym full of kids and setting a bomb off isn't the way to go about solving your problems.

These people have no morals and are bent on the destruction of any society that doesn't conform to their beliefs. This goes beyond any legitimate complaints they may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2008, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,604,613 times
Reputation: 24548
Judging by the nature of the last comments considering the Taliban and al Quida to be political and military enemies is incorrect. Dealing with them as if they were nations simply will not work. I suggest they are pests and should be dealt with accordingly. I suggest letting the people infested with these pests to handle the extermination for their own benefit. I also suggest the folks that are feeding and harboring this infestation also be dealt with accordingly.

There are a few circumstances that justify going beyond war to rectify the situation. Dealing with this conflict of this nature creates a situation where you are either going to eliminate the pests or you are going to let them alone and put up fences to keep them out of your pastures. In any case a choice has to be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top