Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
i listen to all types of music but the point everyone keeps missing is can you judge a society by the art being produced? And if so is it dead here and now. Can you predict the fall of a society but the decline of art and music? I have fallen victim to getting drawn off topic.
Do you think Elvis would even be discovered today?

I don't think he would be or it at least would be harder. I think if has more to do with how the radio stations are run today.

And I wouldn't even bet on American Idol to find him.. And the American public seems to vote off some of the better singers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Do you think Elvis would even be discovered today?

I don't think he would be or it at least would be harder. I think if has more to do with how the radio stations are run today.

And I wouldn't even bet on American Idol to find him.. And the American public seems to vote off some of the better singers.
I can't stand American Idol! some of the decent singers have been voted off, or sent home for these people who can't carry a note in a bucket, but can shake their parts

there have been a few exceptions, such as Carrie Underwood for example, but not every many

Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Music has been absolute s--t since the early 80's.
That is exactly when I stopeed listening to top 40 music. 1981 to be exact.
There were fewer and fewer current songs I liked so I went to all-oldies instead.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I think Elvis would indeed be discovered.
However, this would take place in a different way. I think Elvis had a lot of confidence in his sound, and a dedication to making himself heard.
Maybe the AV Club at the Onion would proclaim his sound.
Perhaps the anointed at Pitchfork would make some announcement to the great unwashed. I dunno. I think he would be heard though.
I don't think every great sound is heard. But probably Elvis would be.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
i know, it is really hard to do, all my real concern is; i want to create something that doesn't sound like everyone else. I have so many different influences i think it is possible. Like you said in your first post though, there will never be another Hendrix moment, or Beatle moment, etc.
When i mentioned the sample stuff, i Dled some unorthodox sound effects i want to incorporate in to create something different. I am also looking at creating some songs with a mix of my playing my own instruments, and the DLed samples too
Why wont there? Are you saying we've reached the pinnacle of human musical evolution?

People would have said that Elvis had done everything, and Gershwin before that, what about after Mozart? 20 years ago, there was no such thing as urban hip-hop or grunge, and Nirvana and 2pac/Biggie certainly changed music forever. Hendrix and Cobain are equal in their contributions to the history of music.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Why wont there? Are you saying we've reached the pinnacle of human musical evolution?

People would have said that Elvis had done everything, and Gershwin before that, what about after Mozart? 20 years ago, there was no such thing as urban hip-hop or grunge, and Nirvana and 2pac/Biggie certainly changed music forever. Hendrix and Cobain are equal in their contributions to the history of music.
can you explain how you think 2pac/biggie changed music? Like i said earlier, "remixing" music by valid musicians is NOT music.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Indie and Folk are where it's at. Listen to some of Neko Case's solo work and tell me if you still think music is dead!

And because someone mentioned him, I must say that I adore Richard Thompson!

Yep, I'm a Neko Case fan, also Bjork who is actually a disguised jazz singer, IMO. Am also partial to some of Cake's stuff (the song "Alpha Beta Parking Lot" is a little masterpiece), anything by Joni Mitchell, about (the nonadolescent) half of XTC, two of Todd Rundgren's solo records from the early 1970s ("Todd" and "Something/Anything"), the first two Craig Fuller-led Pure Prairie League records (the full-length verson of "Country Song" is exquisite road music), and a lot of Los Lobos. I'm also still stuck on Stephen Stills's band Manassas from the early 1970s.

Have you heard the duo of The Frames, who won an Oscar for their work in the movie "Once"?
Oscars: 'Once' duo signs deal with Warner/Chappell Music | Music, Music Biz, Oscar Watch | Hollywood Insider | EW.com (http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/02/clarifying-the.html - broken link)

However, very little recorded popular music has knocked me out since I first heard My Blood Valentine's CD "Loveless" from the early 1990s.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 11-12-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates