U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 PM

765 posts, read 1,682,218 times

Advertisements

Has music finally died it seems like there is no effort anymore to make good music it's just the same old cookie cutter regurgitated junk. I see a lot of old bands coming out of "retirement" to make a few bucks but thats about it. Or maybe i am
just finally getting old.
http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0023.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,738,592 times
You must be listening to radio. Music is alive and well, there are more great bands now than ever before, you just have to look harder. Radiohead is playing right now and they are a perfect example, In Rainbows is one of their best. Ever heard of Jonathan Tyler and The Northern Lights? great band.

If you posted this in the music forum you might get better responses... or not.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM

The question i have is whether or not you can gauge the state of a culture by the music it produces.each era in American history has been defined by a specific sound of the music it produced the roaring 20's the birth of rock. even disco ..Now what Rap??? Brittany Spears???? What now do we possibly contribute to the world?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM

5,092 posts, read 4,369,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Or maybe i am
just finally getting old.
Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up.

Now hike up yer pants so the belt's just below your armpits and start yellin' at those darn kids to keep off yer lawn!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,566,740 times
What kinds do you like? Check out the Black Keys (low-fi white-guy electric blues duo) and Tiny Town (funky New Orleans-flavored rock, reconstituted from The Subdudes). There's lots of good stuff below the radar, as there always has been. Did you ever listen to the band Morphine (start with CD named "Cure For Pain") before they disbanded? And Richard Thompson is still out there, touring practically every month of the year.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,170,931 times
I'm still stuck in the 80's when music was so horrible that it was great!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
What kinds do you like? Check out the Black Keys (low-fi white-guy electric blues duo) and Tiny Town (funky New Orleans-flavored rock, reconstituted from The Subdudes). There's lots of good stuff below the radar, as there always has been. Did you ever listen to the band Morphine (start with CD named "Cure For Pain") before they disbanded? And Richard Thompson is still out there, touring practically every month of the year.
Sounds interesting .. I have been into underground music for years but it just seems that music has become stagnate and it has been a long time since a true "artist" has come around.I wonder if lack of new music is a direct result of how lazy society has become and i believe all of America has ADHD.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I'm still stuck in the 80's when music was so horrible that it was great!
There were some good sounds from the 80's

Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 PM

451 posts, read 1,097,653 times
I agree with somebody above about listneing to the radio. My beloved hip hop has been trash for about 10 years. Everyonce in a while something good comes on the radio, but to find the real talent you gotta look hard and deep. Its usually the less money they have the better the product. I haven't listend to many of the new artist that come from any of the major lables, but there is plenty of good music of all genre's that you have to dig out. Going to a local record store is a good way to find good tunes. They seem to always have a ear to catch what is new and upcoming before the major labels get ahold of them and ruin them.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,927,870 times
I think music has declined. The golden era of rock & roll is clearly out. Jazz has certainly seen its best days. Rap & hip-hop had a decent start, but faded into pure crap fast.

I see it as a direct reflection on life in this country. (to a certain degree)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates