U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:20 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I am curious what freedoms you think we have given up in exchange for "safety." Without examples, it is difficult to comment one way or the other, because I don't feel I have given up any freedoms.
You have, they just haven't effected you yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,640,714 times
I detest the very phrase "politically correct''. To me it means the politicians have the right to tell us what we can and cannot say. As far as the wiretaps go, who is to say that any of us have been targeted? How do you know this hasn't affected you? They can stick these things on your phone at a whim. The screenings before you can fly has already been abused. There ia a media reporter who is on the list because he reported something that was not politically correct. He cannot get on a plane and fly. The restriction of anyones freedom affects all of us and if we bury our heads in the sand on this, it will get worse.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:08 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
Safe or Free? We haven't been 'free' since 9/11. Snoops affect the internet too. How many times have you filled out name, address, phone number to join a forum or send email to a news organization? For my way of thinking they don't need it for any reason except it is easier to trace individuals by physical address than it is by machine address. I'm not terribly thrilled about the keychain grocery store devices either.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Safe or Free? We haven't been 'free' since 9/11. Snoops affect the internet too. How many times have you filled out name, address, phone number to join a forum or send email to a news organization? For my way of thinking they don't need it for any reason except it is easier to trace individuals by physical address than it is by machine address. I'm not terribly thrilled about the keychain grocery store devices either.
Nor have we been safe, and we have a new enemy to worry about, our own government.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM

635 posts, read 2,497,465 times
One thing to ask is how much freedoms do people want to give up for safety? How far do you want to go to ensure it is safe? Have everyone in or visiting US take a Lie Detector test to make sure they aren't criminals or terrorists? It would be good away to weed out suspects and "increase" safety!

Do you want to have everyone in or coming US put RFID tags on them? How about implant a chip in everyone to record their conversation, track them through GPS, etc. Tagging people like this will probably eliminate ton of crime and including terrorism.

I think there all a lot people who would give up say 75% of there freedoms for a 75% of guarantee of being safe.

One main loss or slow down I am seeing is the freedom of movement. It getting longer and harder to travel, even in cars. More and more road block for safety (illegals, terrorists, drunk, etc) are going up all over the US. Hopefully, it won't come to point where if you leave house you need carry an ID to prove US Citizen/legal presence.

Note, I personally am not fond of giving up rights for safety. I am not big on IDs especially, except for driving, a lawful resident shouldn't have carry ANY id whatsoever inside the US.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:45 AM

3,486 posts, read 4,938,535 times
Some degree of safety is necessary for your freedom to have any meaning. After all, the government isn't the only entity that could potentially oppress you. How free, exactly, are people in Somalia?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
As I read through various forums, and in daily observation, I am shocked to see the number of people who are willing to give up freedoms in trade for the feeling of safety. This is often in connection with the "if it saves one life..." philsophy. I believe this is a growing phenomenon, and to be honest, it worries me. I'm not talking about minor issues, these are basic freedoms and hard earned rights that people seem perfectly willing to discard so that they can have the illusion of being safe.

Our freedom was won at the price of many lives, and, once lost, there is hell to pay to win them back. In my view, we are coming to a crossroads, and as a culture we Americans need to realize the choice that lay before us.

It is this: SAFE OR FREE? YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH.

Any thoughts?

If I'm completely free...free from government, free from society, then I can take care of my OWN safety.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I'm completely free...free from government, free from society, then I can take care of my OWN safety.
and a bit delusional

Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I think there all a lot people who would give up say 75% of there freedoms for a 75% of guarantee of being safe.
And they will have nor deserve either

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Note, I personally am not fond of giving up rights for safety. I am not big on IDs especially, except for driving, a lawful resident shouldn't have carry ANY id whatsoever inside the US.
Your papers please Comrade.

I agree with you completely on this, and I's pissed that NC has buckled under to the "Real ID" for our drivers licenses, while some states have told the feds to go pound sand and will not implement it. NC has also put a symbol on the back that looks very much like the NAU logo.

All our personal information online and shared among the NAU, so some corrupt clerk in Mexico can just log on and get all the personal information needed for their friends to use when they sneak into the US.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:45 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
and a bit delusional
Not at all. It's best not depending on others for anything. Self-reliance is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates