U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I am White, but I get so sick of the stupid way the movies and tv make Black people all look like gang bangers. Every summer there is some ASININE movie aimed at the sterotyped view of Black people (idiots saying "WASSUP DAWG, wearing bling, bling and jacking people or just hanging out doing nothing but celebrating gangster culture).

Speaking of tv, I grew up in the 1970s and my favorite shows were: Good Times, Sanford and Son, and Chico and the Man...I never thought of them as "Black people show"...just programs I LIKED...
Well for one thing, it's black people who are starring in those movies and portraying that image, so until they stop taking roles that depict blacks in a negative light, it's going to remain that way. For what it's worth, I've seen less and less movies portraying this image, and more movies with a black cast that resemble those sappy white-people movies that we always see people like Diane Keaton and Helen Hunt starring in.

Also, someone mentioned the Cosby Show as a more accurate depiction of the average black family. Wrong! The Cosby Show was about as accurate a depiction of black families as The Brady Bunch and Leave it to Beaver was for whites. None of them represented the average family regardless of race or class.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,849,399 times
I think Tony Dungy said it best. (When referring to the Bears vs Colts Superbowl). Everyone wanted to make a big deal about, not only it being the first superbowl with a black head coach, but both head coaches were black. He didnt like it and I wouldnt either. It almost makes it seem like they arent good enough. When in reality they are just another coach.

He mentioned (IIRC) something about that taking away from the situation. That, more importantly it was two coaches who were very open about their faith/religion.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,016,992 times
Racism has traditionally meant that whites as a matter of course think that those who are not white, are inferior and not worthy of equal treatment. Efforts to level the playing field by 1) identifying and persecuting racist whites who discriminate and 2) providing more opportunities for those races that have ben traditionally denied equal opportunity by whites, is NOT "reverse" racism. It is affirmative efforts to provide opportunity. "Reverse" racism does not exist, and is a laughable notion at best.

The concept of "reverse" racism is farcical attempt by racist whites to cling to traditional practices of favoring them simply because they are white. When a school for instance chooses to modernize and improve its admission selection criteria by putting mechanisms in place to recognize that the black student who grew up disadvantaged but maintained excellent credentials, is potentially a far more qualified student is a fact that hurts the delicate sensibilities of the racist white. You match two students. The first as a white student who has all the advantages simply by being white. That student gets a 4.0 and a good SAT score. Compare that to a black student who also applies with a 4.0 and the same SAT score. The black student, simply by the color of their skin in this society had to endure more because of the negative stereotype imposed on that person from birth by whites. Black student traveled further. A program that recognizes this distinction is a good program. Not "reverse" discrimination, but a more accurate RECOGNITION that any black person who can rise above the stigma of racial negativity imposed by whites on blacks, is usually a person of great depth, character, versatility, maturity, intelligence, and talent.

Whites introduced the behavior and concept of racism in this country. They did this by trespassing, intruding upon, and stealing native American land. This land belonged to others and whites had no right to claim the land for themselves simply because they felt they "discovered" it and it was their "right." Absolute disrespect for the native peoples here and behavior that screams of a false sense of superiority. Same with the intrusion upon Africa and the utter gaul to believe that these dark-skinned humans are suited only for slavery. Racism at its worse. Then to forcibly bring these humans to this country that was taken from others, and try to make a way of life where whites are superior and blacks are permanently inferior, is utter lunacy and the ultimate in racism behavior. The fact that a black person RESPONDS to this treatment in a negative manner doesn't make that black person a racist. Responding to racist behavior doesn't make one a racist.

To recap:

1) Racism refers to whites discriminating against another because they are not white.

2) A non-white person who negatively reacts to a white person as a result of the racist behavior practiced by whites, is not a racist.

3) "reverse racism" doesn't exist. It is simply a ridiculous concept conjured up by racist whites who got their feelings hurt because mechanisms have been put in place to provide opportunities to those who have traditionally been denied because of racist white behavior. This absolutely is NOT racism in a reverse. What a farcical notion.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,849,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Racism has traditionally meant that whites as a matter of course think that those who are not white, are inferior and not worthy of equal treatment. Efforts to level the playing field by 1) identifying and persecuting racist whites who discriminate and 2) providing more opportunities for those races that have ben traditionally denied equal opportunity by whites, is NOT "reverse" racism. It is affirmative efforts to provide opportunity. "Reverse" racism does not exist, and is a laughable notion at best.

The concept of "reverse" racism is farcical attempt by racist whites to cling to traditional practices of favoring them simply because they are white. When a school for instance chooses to modernize and improve its admission selection criteria by putting mechanisms in place to recognize that the black student who grew up disadvantaged but maintained excellent credentials, is potentially a far more qualified student is a fact that hurts the delicate sensibilities of the racist white. You match two students. The first as a white student who has all the advantages simply by being white. That student gets a 4.0 and a good SAT score. Compare that to a black student who also applies with a 4.0 and the same SAT score. The black student, simply by the color of their skin in this society had to endure more because of the negative stereotype imposed on that person from birth by whites. Black student traveled further. A program that recognizes this distinction is a good program. Not "reverse" discrimination, but a more accurate RECOGNITION that any black person who can rise above the stigma of racial negativity imposed by whites on blacks, is usually a person of great depth, character, versatility, maturity, intelligence, and talent.

Whites introduced the behavior and concept of racism in this country. They did this by trespassing, intruding upon, and stealing native American land. This land belonged to others and whites had no right to claim the land for themselves simply because they felt they "discovered" it and it was their "right." Absolute disrespect for the native peoples here and behavior that screams of a false sense of superiority. Same with the intrusion upon Africa and the utter gaul to believe that these dark-skinned humans are suited only for slavery. Racism at its worse. Then to forcibly bring these humans to this country that was taken from others, and try to make a way of life where whites are superior and blacks are permanently inferior, is utter lunacy and the ultimate in racism behavior. The fact that a black person RESPONDS to this treatment in a negative manner doesn't make that black person a racist. Responding to racist behavior doesn't make one a racist.

To recap:

1) Racism refers to whites discriminating against another because they are not white.

2) A non-white person who negatively reacts to a white person as a result of the racist behavior practiced by whites, is not a racist.

3) "reverse racism" doesn't exist. It is simply a ridiculous concept conjured up by racist whites who got their feelings hurt because mechanisms have been put in place to provide opportunities to those who have traditionally been denied because of racist white behavior. This absolutely is NOT racism in a reverse. What a farcical notion.

This whole post is bunk. Anyone can be racist.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM

1,008 posts, read 639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

Colonization in...crap out.

So what you're saying is that because Haiti was founded as a colony, even though more than 200 years ago the colonists (indeed ALL Whites on the island) were killed in a massive uprising, that Haiti will always remain crap just because it was founded as a colony?

I can think of one black nation in Africa that is decently stable even though it was a colony. Do you know what that nation would be? Botswana! Even though they have massive problems with HIV/AIDS they have nowhere near the level of issues that Haiti has. They tend to work very hard at emulating the White/Anglo model for government and they have a reasonably safe/stable society.

Maybe you should listen to this sermon by Pastor Manning, a black preacher, watch the whole thing and then fire off your comments/criticisms. Don't worry, it's only about 10 minutes long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuEc-...e=channel_page

On the flip side you have nations such as Haiti and Sierra Leone where hatred against Whites and all things Western is engrained as a key aspect of their culture. Look at the results...

So either a history of colonialism doesn't mean that much or you have so little faith in the intellectual and creative abilities of the blacks in Haiti that you don't believe that 210 years after overthrowing (and MASSACRING) their colonial masters, they should be able to amount to something and have a functioning nation.

Which is it?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Sounds like these whites you're referring to are capable of rational thought and self-control, and ought to be accountable for their attitudes and behavior...while non-whites can't do anything but react to what whites do. Got it...

A few weeks ago some deep thinker on this forum came up with the observation that although the Rape of Nanking was an atrocity in which the Japanese violated the Chinese, the REAL cause was that the Japanese were "trying to emulate Hitler". (Hitler, of course, was white, and thus 'responsible' for the atrocities of the Japanese, who WEREN'T white.)

And poverty causes crime, too. It isn't caused by criminals, it's caused by poverty, which was caused by whites. White criminals must be 'missing the boat' here, I guess.

Your post sounds pretty 'racist' to me....I HOPE this means you're white...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,191,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So either a history of colonialism doesn't mean that much or you have so little faith in the intellectual and creative abilities of the blacks in Haiti that you don't believe that 210 years after overthrowing (and MASSACRING) their colonial masters, they should be able to amount to something and have a functioning nation.
This is ridiculous. A. I don't understand why you take issue with these people massacring their colonial masters. If you (general you) attempted to come and take over my neighborhood, initiate slave labor, etc, you can be dam sure that you would receive a cap in your ass.

Any way, Haiti has been colonialized so many times. Colonialization aka subjugation always leads to violence. If you don't like it, than don't subjugate.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM

604 posts, read 1,050,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
As long as you have "affirmative action" programs, everybody is going to look at you as just another quota. If you want to be taken seriously, get rid of those programs and then see what happens.
Speak for yourself please. Not "everybody" looks at it like that. I'm not sure I know anyone who does. All affirmative action laws can do is give a 'tie' to the minority. If two applicants have the same experience, same education, and are both equally qualified, then AA gives the job to the minority. But how often does that actually happen?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Well for one thing, it's black people who are starring in those movies and portraying that image, so until they stop taking roles that depict blacks in a negative light, it's going to remain that way. For what it's worth, I've seen less and less movies portraying this image, and more movies with a black cast that resemble those sappy white-people movies that we always see people like Diane Keaton and Helen Hunt starring in.

Also, someone mentioned the Cosby Show as a more accurate depiction of the average black family. Wrong! The Cosby Show was about as accurate a depiction of black families as The Brady Bunch and Leave it to Beaver was for whites. None of them represented the average family regardless of race or class.
The Cosby Show was the first time that I saw my life and my family lifestyle reflected on a television show. I could not relate to shows like Good Times or Sanford & Son.

The problem that I was highlighting in my comment is this: if you don't know ANY Black people and all you see is that they live in the projects, are on welfare, never have money, never have professions or positions of power, sell drugs or prostitute themselves, etc, etc. Then you think that ALL Black people have that same experience.

I have to admit that I am surprised at the comments non-Blacks still sometimes make to me even in this day and age. The comments usually stem from a lack of exposure to middle class (or higher) Black Americans.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:34 PM

604 posts, read 1,050,452 times
At least something is surprising. I lost the element of surprise a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates