U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 PM

1,008 posts, read 643,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The Roman Empire? lol You don't know about Haitian history, do you? And you certainly don't see to be generally aware of eurpean history. Haiti was occupied in the 20th century, not 2,000 years ago. You aren't making any sense.

Again, learn your history. Japan was not colonialized by europeans, nor were they made as slaves. Bombing a city and destroying a city and culture are two very different things. Frankly, it's sad that so many Americans of euro decent are ignorant of their own history let alone their own country's influence.

Japan was occupied and under administration by military officials for a number of years. Indeed American soldiers are still in Japan. They had a US imposed constitution placed over them, yet they are still doing pretty well today.

Haiti had occasional US military intervention in the early 20th century, I know a fair deal about that.

You really have no explanation for why nothing productive comes out of Haiti, do you? Can you think of any explanation for why African nations never even developed the wheel? It's all because of the evil White colonists and oppressors, right?

Bosnia was torn to shreds in a brutal war in the 1990s, but they're not eating each other, suffering coup after coup after coup, etc, nor are they unable to keep the lights on, maintain a steady flow of drinkable water, etc.

Russia suffered under nearly 80 years of communist tyranny which came after a brutal and nasty civil war, yet Russia is not some worthless tinpot banana republic that is incapable of supporting itself, let alone exporting things of value. Haiti cannot even function without constant aid from other nations. Their government is unable to provide even basic services to their population.

It's the people, not the country. It's the people, not the history of occupation or war. Germany was thoroughly crushed by the end of the Second World War yet it was always better than Haiti ever was or will be.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
The Roman Empire? lol You don't know about Haitian history, do you? And you certainly don't see to be generally aware of eurpean history. Haiti was occupied in the 20th century, not 2,000 years ago. You aren't making any sense.

Again, learn your history. Japan was not colonialized by europeans, nor were they made as slaves. Bombing a city and destroying a city and culture are two very different things. Frankly, it's sad that so many Americans of euro decent are ignorant of their own history let alone their own country's influence.

How long does it take to recover from slavery? Ten generations? Slavery (at least slavery of Blacks enforced by Whites) ended in Haiti about 210 years ago, due to rebellion.

So what are your excuses for why Haiti is crap? Let me know if I miss anything...

1- More than 210 years ago the Blacks in Haiti were enslaved...
2- Haiti was founded as a colony.
3- As recently as 210 years ago, the Blacks in Haiti were subjugated by Whites.
4- A few times in the early 1900s, outside powers intervened in the internal affairs of Haiti. There were several military occupations by foreign powers, between 1900 and 1940.

Things must be pretty easy for the Haitians, they have a lot of excuses they can hide behind, thanks to their buddies such as you, who never hold them accountable or expect them to improve themselves. They can kick back and hide behind excuse after excuse for their repeated failure to establish and maintain a functioning society.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,678,890 times
Quote:
It all seems to fall under the umbrella of bigotry. It hasn't strayed too far.
I disagree.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:

If Whites are such nasty oppressors why are tens of millions of people, primarily non-White people, from nations such as Pakistan, China, Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria, Somalia, etc, willing to risk everything, even their very lives, for the chance at getting into predominantly White nations such as Great Britain, Canada, the United States of America, Russia, France, Italy, Germany, etc? If we're evil and nasty towards them why do they want to risk everything to live in our lands?

What does that say about their confidence in their own people and their own governments? Many Mexicans move to the USA and complain they lack power, is that the case? Their people had all the power they could ever hope for in Mexico, yet look what they did with it! They cannot stand living in a nation run by their kin, so they leave and go elsewhere, yet they bring the same attitudes of "support any candidate as long as he's one of us" and pretty soon entire cities, counties, and states, start to resemble the mess that they claimed they wanted to leave behind in their country of birth.

You don't see millions of Germans, Russians, Italians, and French tripping over themselves to move to Pakistan or Zaire do you? Do you even think Pakistan or Zaire would accept such a thing?

People vote with their feet, don't they? When tens of millions of Mexicans are willing to risk death to enter into a land run by people who have repeatedly shown throughout history that they know how to establish and maintain an advanced society, what does that say about them? What does that say about their confidence in their own people to build and maintain an advanced society?

If the people in Haiti were just as capable at maintaining a society as the people in Germany, then the average German would be just as happy at the prospect of moving to Haiti as the average Haitian would be at the prospect of moving to Germany.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,204,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
What happened to the days when my friends and I could all poke fun at one another on matters of race? When did we get so serious? I've got friends of all races and we would tease one another about stereotypes and joke around with another without anyone getting insulted or trying to figure out what was meant by any of it. It was just all around fun. Now the mere mention of race gets everyone stirred up in this country. Now that folks like Sharpton can cash in on it, and threaten corporations with boycotts, he not only has influence over sponsors of TV and radio, he also commits racial blackmail to companies who don't make donations to his "foundation".

I swear there were less problems in the workplace during the 80's without all of the diversity training and constant harping on race relations. I worked with many blacks and hispanics back then and we got along fine without someone telling us how much we supposedly hate one another and how we should act around one another. At some point we all have to move forward, but we won't if we keep debating the evils of slavery, life prior to the civil rights movement, and diversity training, all of which just tightens the tension around us, rather than heel old wounds...only time can do that.
I think you're supposed to keep it in the closet.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,244,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
If Whites are such nasty oppressors why are tens of millions of people, primarily non-White people, from nations such as Pakistan, China, Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria, Somalia, etc, willing to risk everything, even their very lives, for the chance at getting into predominantly White nations such as Great Britain, Canada, the United States of America, Russia, France, Italy, Germany, etc? If we're evil and nasty towards them why do they want to risk everything to live in our lands?
I don't know why you take this so personally. You seem to at least. Colonialism isn't something that can be argued for. Humans destroy and conquer. It doesn't matter if it's white on black or whatever. History is clear about the consequences of colonialism, slavery, etc. I really don't understand what is so difficult to grasp here.

Frankly, this all reads as intentional self-inflicted dishonesty. I see no merit in that. The fact remains that all european colonialization has resulted in the destruction of the cultures they enslaved. The reprocussions are with us in the 21st century. Why this offends you, I have no idea. I'm in the US. I'm white. I'm educated, affluent, etc. Being aware of history doesn't pull my emotional heart strings in a negative way. I don't know why it does for you (again, it seems to).

Quote:
People vote with their feet, don't they? When tens of millions of Mexicans are willing to risk death to enter into a land run by people who have repeatedly shown throughout history that they know how to establish and maintain an advanced society, what does that say about them? What does that say about their confidence in their own people to build and maintain an advanced society?
In the past decade or so there has been an in kind match of mexican immigration with the implementation of NAFTA. Is that really surprising? Of course not. It's par for the course and rather simple to understand. Does ignoring reality lend to reason? No.

Quote:
If the people in Haiti were just as capable at maintaining a society as the people in Germany, then the average German would be just as happy at the prospect of moving to Haiti as the average Haitian would be at the prospect of moving to Germany.
So, you're saying that the people of Haiti aren't capable. Why do you think that's the case?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,244,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I disagree.
Really, how so?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
To recap:

1) Racism refers to whites discriminating against another because they are not white.

2) A non-white person who negatively reacts to a white person as a result of the racist behavior practiced by whites, is not a racist.

3) "reverse racism" doesn't exist. It is simply a ridiculous concept conjured up by racist whites who got their feelings hurt because mechanisms have been put in place to provide opportunities to those who have traditionally been denied because of racist white behavior. This absolutely is NOT racism in a reverse. What a farcical notion.
To recap:

Thank your Mr Sharpton! You demonstrate the trendy hypocrisy and idiocy FAR better with your blatant racism than anyone with functioning brain cells could. A blind man sees far better with a cane than you ever can.

Fortunately, there ARE a lot of people out there who realize that racism in fact refers to ANY race discriminating against another because they are not of that race, that two wrongs don't make a right, and that your pathetically deluded gibberish is only that.

REAL equality isn't here yet, but as more people finally stop feeling guilty about slavery (which makes about as much sense as German Americans feeling guilty about the Holocaust) and start looking at this objectively and not allowing minorities to get away with such flaming absurdities as you state above, we'll get there.

So enjoy your mindless race card double standard while you can. Its end is near.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,128,993 times
Quote:
Do people still discriminate against the Irish in America on the same scale which Blacks are discriminated against?
Do Irish people GET jobs based on their ethnicity on the same scale blacks do via idiotic racist policies with sugar-coated names like "affirmative action?"

All hail the mighty black hypocrisy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
I'm not even sure what 'reverse racism' is.
The practice of favouring a historically disadvantaged group at the expense of members of a historically advantaged group.

Clearer now?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM

784 posts, read 2,012,919 times
I think I can sum it up by many on here. Only evil whitey can be racist. Reverse Racism is reversed with the understanding that all whites inflict racism. This is total Bull ****. For one, what is white? Most "white" people are french, Italian, Germans, Irish, etc who were not even in this country at the time of slavery, yet we all pay for something that happened so many years ago. Guess what, black slave owners sold slaves to whites years ago, Are blacks blamed for racism? Do black slave owners get a pass?

Every ethnicity at one time or another was subjected to prejudice. This idea that only blacks suffer it is frivilous. I am white. I have been prejudiced against my whole life by minority groups being from a larger innercity. But I guess all of that is a figment of my imagination, because after all, only evil whites can be racists. I've seen more racism from blacks towards whites than I have ever seen otherwise. Blacks can be openly racist, and I have often heard it. If a white would talk like a black all hell would break lose.

In some countries in Africa. Many black women are afraid to roam the streets for fear of being raped by their own kind and given Aids. Aids is rampant in most African countries. What is with that? Why is there a need to kill off your own race? I suppose this is evil whitey's fault too?

Many blacks argue poverty causes crime. If this is the case, why aren't the many whites who live from trailer court to trailer court throughout this country committing mass genoicide on each other? Today more than ever whites are falling below the poverty line, yet murder on whites from whites is still relatively low.

Bottom line is, every race has oppressors. But how they react and overcome is what gives them character. The Jewish people were all but wiped off the earth, yet they came back and prospered without any excuses. Resiliency is a part of human nature. We all have things to overcome, and history is shown that no nationality is spared. But how we choose to let it effect us shows wheather we are resilient as a people or not. I am not saying racism should be tolerated. But lets face it, every race is subjected to it and delivers it.

Last edited by SlickRick1; 02-27-2009 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates