U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,496 posts, read 33,466,803 times
Reputation: 15239

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think it depends on who you are and the circles you travel in. I work with a diverse group of scientists (Chinese, Indian, and various Euorpeans) and it would be unbelievably odd to kid around in such a way. It wouldn't dawn on me to do so; similar to a vegetarian wanting to hunt or an atheist speaking in tongues.
I think that's because your group is older and more mature than stormy_night's college group of friends. But young boys and young men do like to test out the limits of their friendships by kidding around like that, however inappropriate or politically incorrect it is to do so. Just as there are jokes I could share with my friends, but never with my parents or older relatives. And I'm sure that with stormy_night's group, if one of them had parents visiting the schools, they would all be appropriately respectful to the parents and not make any racist remarks in jest. Lastly, stormy_night's college friends were more his personal close friends that he would go to class with and party with. They were all full of youthful energy. Your group of scientists are together to share important scientific knowledge. You are less close personal friends with them and instead have more of a professional relationship with them.

 
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
 
2,739 posts, read 4,079,087 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Everyone knows racism--White against Black--is alive and well, and most agree, it's wrong and we've had our say against it at every opportunity, publicly and in private conversation. But it's also very true that things have changed significantly for the better and continue to do so. Case in point, the countless Black public figures who have made their own way whom even Whites line up to see, movies, concerts, tv, politicians, etc. But for decades I've witnessed more reverse racism than I ever have 'racism', and a far more aggressive form of racism than in recent years, yet, little to nothing is spoken of it. Why is that?

There appears to be a growing attitude toward all Whites that they're the cause of all failures of Blacks who are unhappy with their lives. What happened to taking responsibility for ourselves, our actions, our failures? That's how we learn from them and keep ourselves from repeating them. Passing the blame to others does nothing but set us up for further failure.

In my perspective, most of the current 'racism' isn't 'racism' as such, but that many are tired of being blamed for the racisms and slavery of the past and tired of Blacks feeling the need to bring up the color of their skin in every conversation on tv as if Whites care about that. Most don't. It's more about being fed up with excuses and blame than racism.
Reverse racism is definitely alive and well. There are just as many black, brown, red, yellow, green, and purple racists as there are white racists. Whoever denies that people aren't equal in their racist beliefs, is himself a racist.

The thing I find interesting is that reverse racism is excused because the person of color is assumed to inherently not know any better. If a white person does the same thing that the person of color just did, then it is considered racist because the white person is assumed by all to automatically have the greater understanding.
 
Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM
 
33,385 posts, read 14,585,523 times
Reputation: 7600
It is amazing how the press has changed our vocabulary. There is no such thing as reverse racism.

Racism is racism. Be it white against black, or black against white or any other race.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Where ocean meets up with the naked land.
324 posts, read 422,231 times
Reputation: 193
It's double standards. Although, do White people have to worry about every single action of theirs being tied to their race? The way they might smell, dress, talk like. That's one thing I think White people take for granted. They aren't labeled as White "This" all the time. Other races are always labeled. Take a look at wikipedia. You know exactly what I'm talking about. They will always say ___ ___ is an Asian American singer....African American writer....

They never say White singer or White writer. It seems like if one is a minority, it distracts people from the actual abilities they possess. So, it's not just good enough to be called a writer, they have to be called an Hispanic American writer because that just "makes the difference". It's one thing that some take for granted..

I definitely agree. Racism is Racism. That's the root of the problem is that White people seem to segregate themselves amongst the minorities in general. It's really ironic really.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Houston/Heights
2,637 posts, read 3,884,570 times
Reputation: 961
Please don't take this wrong. But I do remember when Obama was running for office, they actually played down the fact that he was black, if you will remember back. But soon as he was elected, it was "America's First Black President" --Nobody I know that voted for him, did it because he is Black. they voted for the Man, not His Race.
 
Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 AM
 
1,770 posts, read 2,536,666 times
Reputation: 1155
What I can't stand, is when you (white) have a problem with someone who happens to be black..and it's like.. you can't bring up the issue.

Example. At work there's about 5 people who are extreme dead weight. The "problem" is that they are all black. They aren't dead weight because they are black, they are dead weight because they don't do anything and seem to get away with it. There's of course more than just 5 black people at my job, lol, but it seems like.. as a white person, I can't go to management and complain about it. I feel that I would be labeled as a racist or something a long those lines. THAT seems to be a huge problem these days. I am totally 100% for all equality (beyond just blacks, of course), but if your doing something wrong..and someone corrects you.. it's NOT because you're black..
 
Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Houston/Heights
2,637 posts, read 3,884,570 times
Reputation: 961
there are people of all races, that use the climate of the day to get away with behaivior that would not normally be accepted. I have seen people act like complete jerks. But when they are called on it, they claim it is because of their race that they are being called out, and not their bad behavior. When in truth, they are often given more slack, because of their race.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Dahlonega, Georgia
32 posts, read 67,598 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
It's double standards. Although, do White people have to worry about every single action of theirs being tied to their race? The way they might smell, dress, talk like. That's one thing I think White people take for granted. They aren't labeled as White "This" all the time. Other races are always labeled. Take a look at wikipedia. You know exactly what I'm talking about. They will always say ___ ___ is an Asian American singer....African American writer....

They never say White singer or White writer. It seems like if one is a minority, it distracts people from the actual abilities they possess. So, it's not just good enough to be called a writer, they have to be called an Hispanic American writer because that just "makes the difference". It's one thing that some take for granted..

I definitely agree. Racism is Racism. That's the root of the problem is that White people seem to segregate themselves amongst the minorities in general. It's really ironic really.

Okay, well I see your point, but lets go a litle further on the issue. Why are there African American, Asian-American, Latin-American colleges, associations, non-profits, scholarships, etc. etc. ? Why do you as a race feel it is okay to label yourself in one area, but not to in another? I have never seen an Anglo-American Association, or Caucasion American College, and I am pretty sure that will never happen. First of all, many people choose to label themself in that way, in fact I can recall scrolling through a directory of physicians, and coming upon an ad for a Pych. beginning his ad like this.." As an African-American physician, I graduated from the Medical College Of Ga, and focus my work on family therapy.." I mean, excatly what prevelance does his race have to be an acceptable doctor? I am confused.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,415,314 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
Okay, well I see your point, but lets go a litle further on the issue. Why are there African American, Asian-American, Latin-American colleges, associations, non-profits, scholarships, etc. etc. ? Why do you as a race feel it is okay to label yourself in one area, but not to in another? I have never seen an Anglo-American Association, or Caucasion American College, and I am pretty sure that will never happen. First of all, many people choose to label themself in that way, in fact I can recall scrolling through a directory of physicians, and coming upon an ad for a Pych. beginning his ad like this.." As an African-American physician, I graduated from the Medical College Of Ga, and focus my work on family therapy.." I mean, excatly what prevelance does his race have to be an acceptable doctor? I am confused.
asian-american colleges? where?

i know there are colleges with lots of asians because of demographics but i don't know of an asian-american college. as far as colleges, many are already majority white and whites are still the majority so they didn't need any organizations to deal with issues of discrimination etc. maybe in the future they will.

scholarships as well as affirmative action are another issue and that is not wholly created by minorities. as a matter of fact, if i wasn't for affirmative action, some white students would be passed over for an asian student.

Last edited by rory00; 11-08-2009 at 03:39 PM..
 
Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
 
5,923 posts, read 6,364,651 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
It's double standards. Although, do White people have to worry about every single action of theirs being tied to their race? The way they might smell, dress, talk like. That's one thing I think White people take for granted. They aren't labeled as White "This" all the time. Other races are always labeled. Take a look at wikipedia. You know exactly what I'm talking about. They will always say ___ ___ is an Asian American singer....African American writer....

They never say White singer or White writer. It seems like if one is a minority, it distracts people from the actual abilities they possess. So, it's not just good enough to be called a writer, they have to be called an Hispanic American writer because that just "makes the difference". It's one thing that some take for granted..

I definitely agree. Racism is Racism. That's the root of the problem is that White people seem to segregate themselves amongst the minorities in general. It's really ironic really.
That would only hold true if the publishers of those artcles, wickipedia, etc... were White. Is that what you're trying to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top