U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,832 times

Advertisements

I was taught to think and act on my own. I have never been part of any group. So I have no problem speaking my mind. But I was also taught manners and proper decorum, so I temper what I say with respect.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:04 PM

51,202 posts, read 50,499,962 times
There are only historically African-American colleges. It doesn't mean white people can't apply to go there. Those colleges came into existence because black people were not allowed to attend most colleges. Almost all of the colleges in the country were white-only for most of US history.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:09 PM

51,202 posts, read 50,499,962 times
[MOD CUT]
At William Paterson University in NJ a few years ago these three black girls brought up racial-slur charges against a white male student. He was in a room trying to study and these girls were outside the room making all this noise, and so he said to them, not too nicely, "Will you three water buffalo go somewhere else?" WPU HAD had some real racial incidents so the three girls went running to the dean crying racism. There is nothing racist about the term "water buffalo", but it does lead me to believe they were probably not the thinnest of women, lol. The case got dropped.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-10-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM

50 posts, read 57,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
At William Paterson University in NJ a few years ago these three black girls brought up racial-slur charges against a white male student. He was in a room trying to study and these girls were outside the room making all this noise, and so he said to them, not too nicely, "Will you three water buffalo go somewhere else?" WPU HAD had some real racial incidents so the three girls went running to the dean crying racism. There is nothing racist about the term "water buffalo", but it does lead me to believe they were probably not the thinnest of women, lol. The case got dropped.
If "water buffalo" is not a racist term, it's DEFINATELY a sizist term. I'm not sure that there should have been disiplinary action taken against the male student, but if I saw the "water buffalo"s attack that jackass, I would have applauded.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,057,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Sad really--that nothin can ever be done to undo anything from the past. We all carry so much baggage.--so we learn and move on, and do the best we can. Be well.

we don't ALL carry baggage, people with a chip on their shoulder or who think they deserve a certain level of treatment, yet refuse to prove that they are worth being treated as they believe they deserve carry baggage

Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
We all know that happens on both sides of the aisle.
Sadly, no. We don't "all" know it by a long shot. You'd be amazed how many people think racism is only the domain of whitey, despite a mountain of glaring evidence to the contrary. Nice to know you know better though, even if you're in a (pardon the pun) minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon_Tracy View Post
If "water buffalo" is not a racist term, it's DEFINATELY a sizist term.
"sizist?"

LOL

Sorry, I just found that hilarious. I can see it now, a whole to new angle for people to whine: discrimination based on size! That "biggest loser" show is bigoted! Fat kid picked on at school = hate crime! Forget gay pride, now we have chubby pride! National "Plus Size" Week! etc!

(PS all silliness aside, I agree the remark was out of line - but sounds like the girls were too, first by being so obnoxiously and thoughtlessly loud, then whipping out the oh-so well-worn race card)

Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 AM

50 posts, read 57,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

"sizist?"

LOL

Sorry, I just found that hilarious. I can see it now, a whole to new angle for people to whine: discrimination based on size!
I'm glad you find that so funny ....sizist is actually not a term I made up or something new

Weight discrimination could be as common as racial bias - USATODAY.com

As someone who has recently lost a great deal of weight, I can tell you that sizism is alive and well. I can also tell you that despite the social stigma about racism, sexism, etc., there really isn't much discouraging sizism as your post clearly demonstrates.

And no....kids should not be picking on another kid because he/she has a weight issue and if your kid is doing that, he should be checked (literally and figuratively). How that is punished is a completely different issue, but I honestly do not see the difference in any "ism"....they are all wrong.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I think racism is much bigger than a simple black or white issue.
Ditto.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,099,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
When minorities post on the board saying that they want to relocate and would like to find a neighborhood with their culture, nobody says a word about racism.

If a white person makes that same post, people will come out of the woodwork to call them a racist.

Why aren't white people allowed to criticize other cultures for the same things they're criticized for?
Low income whites blame blacks and latinas. Low income blacks blame whites. So, don't say, black ONLY blame white. The ole "I have many black friends" defense. HAHA, really!!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,057,339 times
Child, I think you missed the point.

Fact is people who cannot take responsibility, or as my friend puts it "cant hike up their skirt, grab their balls and make things happen", blame other people, it's easier than putting forth any effort, regardless of color
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates