U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,152,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
When minorities post on the board saying that they want to relocate and would like to find a neighborhood with their culture, nobody says a word about racism.

If a white person makes that same post, people will come out of the woodwork to call them a racist.

Why aren't white people allowed to criticize other cultures for the same things they're criticized for?
I thought that was what you are doing.
Did someone say you weren't allowed?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
How can we be ready to move on when it isn't even being addressed? If I were, I wouldn't be discussing it now.
ok, if you wana. a blatant double standard practiced across the board. AA is not the only one going --white females too. lots of talk in the 60's about equality, never happened. a bunch of privilege seekers highjacked the civil rights movement and have done alright. they have no intention of giving up something that is serving them very well-- while inflicting great harm on others. this is all spelled out in rabbi lerners "left hand of god" book, interesting discussion of what actually happened to the civil rights movement.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM

711 posts, read 1,281,229 times
I do know that just debating in this forum,that I stand a very good chance of being censored due to my speaking up about this issue.This is because of the bleeding heart mods on here who finally feel like they have some control over others who they disagree with. So if im not willing to be censored by some MOD with a personal ideology what makes anyone think that im willing to compromise my career. The only good thing is that the pendulum is starting to swing the other way and that the times are gonna change.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,041,525 times
There's no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism, no matter who the the target(s) and perpetrator(s). If a black man attacks a white man simply for the color of his skin, that's a racist hate crime. That would be just as racist as if some white racist spray painted the words stupid n****r on a brick wall.

I seriously despise racial double standards. Every person who doesn't believe the fact that racism can occur against whites needs to pull their head out of their *** and get their facts straight. The same goes for police officers who don't charge non-white criminals who attacked whites for a hate crime.

$0.02

City Data Guy

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,577,354 times
My take on the issue is very few blacks are in power to facilitate racism. I do believe that anyone can be prejudice regardless od race.

I have a difficult time dealing with people that don't accept that even within different racial groups there are sub cultures. Not all blacks are the same, just as whites, asians or whoever. Don't judge everyone the same just because of their skin color.

Many whites that cry racism confuse the meaning of the word with prejudice. In my personal experience they are undercover racist that want someone or something to blame for their unhappiness or failures.

As a black man, I experience double standards from the white majority on a daily basis. I see it in the corporate world as well as everyother aspect of life. On the other hand I know how to proactively deal with racist and put them in their place (those are the ones that scream reverse racism). Blacks have enough resources to eliminate poverty and create opportunity for a better life if we use our heads and be proactive.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:11 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,058,198 times
Of course, as a black man you have strong feelings about when white people complain of being racially biased against. That's the way the cookie crumbles, there is no way that you, or anyone else of color who has faced racism (supposed or real), will allow themselves to see clearly the fact that white people ARE discriminated against by persons of color. That is a fact I have seen my entire life.

Racism is wrong, and racism IS a form of prejudice, if a black man attacks a white man because of the color of his skin, that is racial prejudice, or racism. Do you understand that it is the same if a white man attacks a black man because of the color of his skin? Or does that factual analogy not work for you?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,058,198 times
Of course, as a black man you have strong feelings about when white people complain of being racially biased against. That's the way the cookie crumbles, there is no way that you, or anyone else of color who has faced racism (supposed or real), will allow themselves to see clearly the fact that white people ARE discriminated against by persons of color. That is a fact I have seen my entire life.

Racism is wrong, and racism IS a form of prejudice, if a black man attacks a white man because of the color of his skin, that is racial prejudice, or racism. Do you understand that it is the same if a white man attacks a black man because of the color of his skin? Or does that factual analogy not work for you?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 AM

334 posts, read 337,896 times
The term reverse racism is stupid. There is absolutely NO need to reverse it. Racism is racism period. Every and any race or group of people can be racists, and racist towards others and each other.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,332,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Everyone knows racism--White against Black--is alive and well, and most agree, it's wrong and we've had our say against it at every opportunity, publicly and in private conversation. But it's also very true that things have changed significantly for the better and continue to do so. Case in point, the countless Black public figures who have made their own way whom even Whites line up to see, movies, concerts, tv, politicians, etc. But for decades I've witnessed more reverse racism than I ever have 'racism', and a far more aggressive form of racism than in recent years, yet, little to nothing is spoken of it. Why is that?

There appears to be a growing attitude toward all Whites that they're the cause of all failures of Blacks who are unhappy with their lives. What happened to taking responsibility for ourselves, our actions, our failures? That's how we learn from them and keep ourselves from repeating them. Passing the blame to others does nothing but set us up for further failure.

In my perspective, most of the current 'racism' isn't 'racism' as such, but that many are tired of being blamed for the racisms and slavery of the past and tired of Blacks feeling the need to bring up the color of their skin in every conversation on tv as if Whites care about that. Most don't. It's more about being fed up with excuses and blame than racism.
Whites are the cause of black unhappiness.

We kept black people as a legal refugee class in this country for almost a hundred years following the abolition of slavery, and even when that ended there was still the less quantifiable effects of personal bias/racism towards black people in this country. Then, because we delude ourselves into believing that your economic starting point in life doesn't have any bearing on social mobility, we blame them for not keeping up their more affluent white counterparts. Western/Eastern European immigrant groups were allowed to assimilate into American culture over time. Racism kept non European groups from assimilating as quickly. Racism kept black people from assimilating at all.

You/white people somehow expect the effects of that to go away overnight. It won't. You look at the effects of poverty in the black community, and instead of recognizing it as such you give it racially biased labels. You're the one passing the blame to others.

Last edited by Q-tip motha; 03-25-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,641,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillScoggin View Post
Reverse discrimination is not only condoned but pushed in our society. Affirmative Action reinforced the idea that it was acceptable. When you take a more qualified person and do not promote them because you have to promote a less qualified minority and the government mandates it then it becomes accepted to most people.

I think equal means equal.

I dont care what color you are. Im going to judged you based on your attributes.

Its the same thing in all society. Can you imagine the furor over WET instead of BET? United Caucasian College Fund and United Negro College Fund,the many all Black colleges and trying to have even a private all White college?

These type issues has done more to propagate racism than anything else.
the frequency and rate of participation in threads like these are a clear indicator that we, as a nation, are not yet "over" racism. sometimes when i scan the Great Debates forum, a full fourth of the threads have to do with race - usually black vs. white. usually, the thread is started by a white person. usually, if it isnt completely overt, you can still read where the OP is wanting to go, and its one of two places: we all know white people are superior to black people (and i want to see people admit it) OR i'm sick and tired of White Guilt (white people today should not feel guilty about the sins of the past.)

first, i would like to comment on what you said about affirmative action, and to be fair to you, i once felt the exact same way as you do. but if youre interested in the truth, Affirmative Action doesnt exactly work the way you may think it does.

to illustrate - this is NOT how Affirmative Action works: there is one position or opening at a job or a University. two applicants are interviewed, a young white male and a young black male. the white male scores higher on [the test] and in the interview, he appears to be more qualified for the job. the Federal Government via Affirmative Action dictates the the less qualified black man gets the position. again, that is NOT how Affirmative Action works.

this is how Affirmative Action works: before the interviews, openings or any of that, the Federal Government via Affirmative Action has already dictated that a certain percentage of a Department's workers, students, whatever should be black, or hispanic, or female, or whatever. this percentage is usually comensurate to the surrounding community.
still sound unfair?
make no mistake. historically, (as in almost ALWAYS) the minority students/workers scored higher/were more qualified than the white students/workers who they displaced. without Affirmative Action, they just never would have been considered because they were not white.
still sound unfair?
when i was a Staff Sergeant in the Army i was volun-told to attend an EEO course (Equal Employment Oportunity) so i could be an EEO Representative for my Unit. when Affirmative Action was brought up, everyone (of every race) had the same reaction (myself included) and that was that Affirmative Action was bull****, and we all imagined that it worked along similar lines as what you described in your post. the Sergeant First Class who was running had us participate in an excercise. a foot race from one end of the class to the other. student #1 takes a step forward, then another, then another, and another...while student #2 remains at the starting point. then student #1 takes two steps forward and student #2 takes two steps forward and one step backwards. etc., etc. this was to show why there was a need for Affirmative Action.

like you, i believe that in a perfect world, people should be judged/hired/given oportunities based on their individual merits. but make no mistake - after the end of the civil war, racial tolerance and equality was not pervasive in any part of this country for over a hundred years. unable to fully participate in society up until only a generation or two ago, it should come as no suprise that nine times out of ALMOST ALWAYS, the decision to accept or hire someone is made by a white person. in many cases, without Affirmative Action, employers will just assume hire white employees (with whom they feel commonality of culture and experiences.) Black employers would likely do the same thing (hire black employees) but, again, typically, it is whites doing the hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates