Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times

Advertisements

Yawn. I turn on the television and the topic: Racism.

Reverse racism? Sure it happens, but doesn't prevent the victim from moving ahead in their careers as much.

Public_Newsense - is there something specific that has happened in your situation - or is this another thread created to bring out the trolls?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM

382 posts, read 954,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
When minorities post on the board saying that they want to relocate and would like to find a neighborhood with their culture, nobody says a word about racism.

If a white person makes that same post, people will come out of the woodwork to call them a racist.

Why aren't white people allowed to criticize other cultures for the same things they're criticized for?
Because we have given up the right to do so. Whites are so guilt ridden by real and perceived wrongs of the past that they have become afraid to criticize because you will be termed a racist. And everyone knows that being called a racist is the absolute worse thing you can be labeled these days.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. There was a post put in by rusty56, that qouted Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Bill Cosby. This members post was deleted and given a demerit infraction for what was called racism. Would somebody please explain to me in little simple words how qouting three of America's influential black americans, in response to a question, is racism?

"Once you permit those who are convinced of their own superior rightness to censor and silence and suppress those who hold contrary opinions, just at that moment the citadel has been surrendered." Archibald Macleish - (1892-1982)

Last edited by timyost34; 11-16-2008 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: added qoute

Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 18,412 times
lord look at all the racist remarks

Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
"When even one "American" -- who has done nothing wrong -- is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril." -- Harry S. Truman - (1884-1972)

[SIZE=4]"The right to criticize: the right to hold unpopular beliefs; the right to protest; the right of independent thought. The exercise of these rights should not cost one single American citizen his reputation or his right to a livelihood... Otherwise none of us could call our souls our own." -Margaret Chase Smith[/SIZE]

Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Yawn. I turn on the television and the topic: Racism.

Reverse racism? Sure it happens, but doesn't prevent the victim from moving ahead in their careers as much.

Public_Newsense - is there something specific that has happened in your situation - or is this another thread created to bring out the trolls?
The topic may bore you but it seems things are taking a turn for the worst in a lot of ways. And I never said reverse racism is holding anyone back from anything but getting along with people most of us have nothing against. I know I'm an idealist but I wish there was a way we could come together and talk about it to stop it but the topic seems to be taboo. I know of at least one Black man who would have advocated talking about it. MLK. But, if he's half the man I and others of his race say he was, he wouldn't stand for reverse racism either. Like I said, my problem isn't with someones skin color, it's with attitudes of those with self-fulfilled racism that's perpetuating reverse racism. And no, I am not saying racism doesn't exist, I'm speaking solely of the sector of it that is created in ones mind in order to inflict racism in return upon everyone of a certain race to satisfy ones hate for past crimes of other racist idiots. Where is it ever going to end? Someone needs to be big enough to step up and say let's all ban together--all races--to end the racism/reverse racism here and now. I know, I'm a dork but I'd rather be a dork who gets along with everyone than a supposed cool person who hates other races.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:14 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,339 times
If you want to see true racism call a japanese korean ....

Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
If you want to see true racism call a japanese korean ....
I don't want to see racism, period. But one's degree of racism experienced doesn't deminish the racism another experiences. Because of my own mixed race I grew up a target of it myself but it seems to be--at least for me--harder to see others go through it than to think of my own experiences, especially when the targets did nothing to provoke it.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
In the end it comes down to political corerectness in not being able to assign racism to thosethat do it ;no matter what race. But that is changing inthsi country as we see more reverse discrimination sits and people speaking out liike in this election. Thihngs have cahnged since black leaders stated that blacks can be called racist nio matter what they do.They can and have been.Even Obama ackn0wledged this in the Rev Wright controversy.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
The topic may bore you but it seems things are taking a turn for the worst in a lot of ways. And I never said reverse racism is holding anyone back from anything but getting along with people most of us have nothing against. I know I'm an idealist but I wish there was a way we could come together and talk about it to stop it but the topic seems to be taboo.
Taboo? Think the issue has been beaten to the ground - even more so after the election results.

Still unclear why this topic is so close to your heart right now. Did something happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates