U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,161,886 times

Advertisements

I work in a rather rural area of SC. Every morning, people go to the cafeteria and have Mountain Dew for breakfast! Seems like it's the national drink around there! Who in their right minds have MD for breakfast??? Women in their early twenties are walking around with the drink in their hands, all easily overweight by 70+ pounds! The same people use the elevators from the first to the second floor, or vice versa. They are not the people that walk around the block even when incented by health points translated into cash or days off. They smoke like a chimney as well, right after they gorge into their McDonald's fries daily. They pile the gravy on top of their sticky rice. Most of the veggies on the entree selections are ignored. Someone tell me it's someone else's fault for these people being obese!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,020,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I think you all are missing the point of shoes4birds post when she talks about chemicals. She is talking about the pesticides that are sprayed on our FRESH VEGETABLES AND FRUIT to keep those nasty little critters from destroying half the crops. Take the boll weevil for example. Before the great and destructive discovery of pesticides, boll weevil's could decimate an entire season of cotton. But after pesticides were introduced, the severity of the destruction was greatly reduced.

It's the same with our foods that are supposedly fresh. Why do you suppose we don't see apples that look as if a juicy worm has eaten its share? Because of pesticides people! They spray pesticides to kill the bugs, but the bugs evolve and adapt to the pesticides so they keep on having to make stronger pesticides. Sure they wash the foods off when they are ready to be shipped, but this fruits and vegetables have been sprayed over a series of month's to keep these bugs from destroying crops. You do the science. There is no way one day of spraying can remove months off daily to weekly to monthly sprayings (depending on the crop).

So "fresh fruit" might not have all the preservatives and other additives that canned or other types might have, but it has the same if not more amount of pesticides in it to keep that freshness going around.
Pesticides/herbicides and the link to obesity is completly insane, imho.

From what I "get" from you & shoes is that these "chemicals" are so bad that one must buy processed foods rather than fresh?

You also say that if no pesticides are used that those "nasty little critters" will destroy half the crops? Where in the ____ are you getting your info? Do you know when the pesticides are applied to the crops? Do you understand that pesticides are not applied w/in x amount of days before harvest?("x amount" as determined by research studies)

I also don't think you understand that if "x" pesticide does not eliminate "x" pest they don't just make it "stronger"(I take that as more concentrated or more applied). That doesn't work, a new pesticide must be introduced, not the same thing but a different "approach" to eliminate the pest. I also don't think you understand how long it takes for a "pest" to build up resistance to a pesticide. Just because "x" works doesn't mean that "y" won't come to the market as either cheaper or safer to use.(usually safer to the applicator than the consumer as it doesn't last long enough to harm the consumer).

What I get from you and shoes is that the farmer is just out to hurt us all, and the farmer doesn't eat anything that he produces. That makes perfect business "cents".

Too many are removed from the farm and have absolutly no idea how a large crop is "made", as far as planting to harvest.

Again, "chemicals" as the reason for obesity(and yes, we understand your reasoning), is as bad as blame'n the FDA/govt subsidies or even global warming. If you keep reading undocumented "poo"(or pathetic polls that only work in the favor of the radical group) then your brain will turn to "poo". That last one wasn't a radical statement from me, now was it?

We understand, and it isn't a "bad" idea, it is just too far out there........way off base and easily "picked off". baseball terms sorry.

Last edited by Capt. Cave Man; 11-22-2008 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: bad grammar

Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 AM

656 posts, read 952,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I think we get the point kb09, but what does it have to do with obesity?

" I'm saying we should make it easier to get our hands on healthy food, not the other way around. I'm saying we should make it easier to get our hands on healthy food, not the other way around. "

It's not all that difficult to get your hands on them. You just don't want to pay the cost .
You have any ideas how to provide organic foodstuff in large enough quantities and at comparable prices?
I'd appreciate hearing them.

Touche, I see your point.

More than obesity, it's just bad health, and as you know most people who are considered obese are in bad health (some people are really just naturally larger but are just as healthy as a "thin" person).

And quite frankly, there is no way to make organic foods as cheap or cheaper than non organic foods unless more than a few short cuts are taken. It takes more time and labor to prepare organic foods than it does to just pack foods with preservatives that artificially make them last longer and stuff them on a shelf for god knows how long.

And as sad as it is to say, it's just too expensive to eat healthly (especially with today's economy). If we'd really want a serious push for food that has less tampered with, it'd have to start at the top. We'd have to inform people about what is actually being put into their bodies and ask them to do something about it. Or instead of shopping at big grocery chains like walmart, winn-dixie, publix, food world and places of the sort, you could go to your local grocery store and buy them there. It's a lot cheaper, better for you, and also supports the people in the community.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 AM

18,338 posts, read 18,578,802 times
"And as sad as it is to say, it's just too expensive to eat healthly"

Please check back in this very thread.
You will find that those that want to do it, don't necessarily pay more and you can shop at a regular supermarket.
What it takes is the time to learn and the effort to put what you learn into effect.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 AM

656 posts, read 952,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"And as sad as it is to say, it's just too expensive to eat healthly"

Please check back in this very thread.
You will find that those that want to do it, don't necessarily pay more and you can shop at a regular supermarket.
What it takes is the time to learn and the effort to put what you learn into effect.
That's why I said you could go to the local grocery store. That way it supports the community and guarantees a fresher product.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,020,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
That's why I said you could go to the local grocery store. That way it supports the community and guarantees a fresher product.
The local grocery store doesn't guarantee you a fresher product, but it does support the locals. Freshness has to do w/purchasing and the volume of customers. FIFO(first in first out) at a store w/50 customers is not as good as a store w/100 customers each day.(assuming the same manager)

"Freshness is in the eye of the beholder". What I can get fresh here, is dang near old in a larger city groc. store.

I'm for local, but fresh is not something I'd say my groc store has.

Again, ....and this has to do w/obesity because............?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 PM

42,285 posts, read 49,863,906 times
It doesn't. They just want someone else to blame. So the mysterious and unidentifiable 'toxins' will catch the flak this time.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,204,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I work in a rather rural area of SC. Every morning, people go to the cafeteria and have Mountain Dew for breakfast! Seems like it's the national drink around there! Who in their right minds have MD for breakfast??? Women in their early twenties are walking around with the drink in their hands, all easily overweight by 70+ pounds! The same people use the elevators from the first to the second floor, or vice versa. They are not the people that walk around the block even when incented by health points translated into cash or days off. They smoke like a chimney as well, right after they gorge into their McDonald's fries daily. They pile the gravy on top of their sticky rice. Most of the veggies on the entree selections are ignored. Someone tell me it's someone else's fault for these people being obese!
I agree, there is a cultural thing as well. It seems in the south they are living in the 1960's, eat bacon and eggs/sausage whatever, and dont understand that its bad for your health to eat like this daily.

Mountain Dew for breakfast--Yuck. I live near a university town and you can see the people who shop at Earthfare vs. the people who buy hog jowls/pork rinds at Ingles....the people who jog vs. the people who drive through McD's every week. Its just sad that people don't think twice about what they are doing to their kids, IMO its negligent.

Again, the thread is about obesity, not the FDA, which doesnt even protect us from poisoned food from China at this point.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,640,765 times
Parents are to blame. Fat kids turn into fat adults.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,697,230 times
I'm confused by why there are fat 7-year-olds and younger running around. My daughter is 7, and she's probably predisposed toward gaining weight. Many members of my family are fat, and most of the females have a slow thyroid. However, I'm fit -- because I chose to be so when I took control of my own eating and exercise habits in my early teens. I started running every other day and cutting out fries and soda with my fast food meals. (Yes, we ate fast food pretty much every day ... gee, I wonder why my family is fat?) I dropped about 30 lbs in a couple of months and have remained thin ever since. As an adult, I exercise regularly and watch what I eat. I think that's just responsible, adult behavior.

Anyways, I can sympathize with overweight adults. It happens. You get into a routine of eating too much of the wrong kinds of things - but how can you let your kids do that? Do smokers give their kids cigarrettes too? Do you eat fast food every night? No problem. Tell your kid to order apple slices, not fries, with meals. Get the rubber chicken synthetic meal and give them half of it (that's plenty for a small body). Give them juice or milk, no soda. Only give them sweets or candy twice a month or so. They will stay thin. My daughter is petite, but her younger cousins are already packing on the pounds and settling into a lifetime of obesity. That's just crazy to me. It's too easy to avoid that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates