Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times

Advertisements

dreamofmonterey,
Thanks!

High fructose corn syrup, HFCS or HFS, a cheap sugar substitute. I encourage anyone interested in their health or the health of their children to research this product. One can of soda contains the equivalent of 13 teaspoons of sugar in the form of HFCS. The food industry uses it not only as a cheap reaplacement for sugar but also a a filler. It is in almost every processed food, please read the labels. If you add up the amount of HFCS that you or your children ingest daily in the equivilent sugar amounts you would be in shock.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 01:58 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,744 times
And me cooking Thanksgiving dinner! A true feast for the belly!

Old 11-27-2008, 02:24 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Obese children have their parents to blame except in obesity due to imbalances, and even then, the child should be under professional help for nutrition. For adults, they are to blame. American portions are out of control and we are able to buy so much crap. But healthy food is available to any of us. Programs like Weight Watchers are very reasonable. Those who want to eat healthy and not be obese can find countless resources to do so.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
You sound like a great Mom- I owe you another +!.

Thats great that you prepare alot of seafood, and IMO it is laziness on some parents part (I witness it here) they buy KFC and fried garbage all the time.

I dont think kids need to be eating fried foods 5x per week.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Obese children have their parents to blame except in obesity due to imbalances, and even then, the child should be under professional help for nutrition. For adults, they are to blame. American portions are out of control and we are able to buy so much crap. But healthy food is available to any of us. Programs like Weight Watchers are very reasonable. Those who want to eat healthy and not be obese can find countless resources to do so.
I agree 100%, it takes time, but there are so many healthy things people can make at home.

Don, thanks for the HFS info, I did know about how bad it is, and recently have been sickened at all the supposed fruit drinks that are "healthy", that are filled with HFS and chemicals.

Gatroade, for example, people drink that junk like its good for them-lol its loaded with chemicals and sugar, I wouldnt be surprised if it was directly linked to Type II Diabetes.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Gluttony is against God. Why won't they obey God!!? Why? It is a deadly sin. Why won't they listen to God?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I still believe it's because people are too busy and too stressed. Most of the foods that are bad for you have existed through the ages, some even worse (some old farm food was worse then you find at McD's). With more of a go go lifestyle people don't have time to cook. They want it to taste good, and fat transmits flavor...which is good because when you get stressed people usually crave fat because it's very calorie dense.

Add a stressed programmer in a sedentary lifestyle, stressed from deadlines and long hours (no time to cook) demanding very calorie dense foods...obesity explosion.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:30 PM

I dont buy the excuse of being busy- esp. reL how you feed your kids. If they are obese, and the parent feeds them that garbage, they are responsible. As I said, if the kid is healthy, its not an issue; where I live there are 12 year olds that weigh 300lbs, you see them in Kroger all the time, and the parents are filling their carts with junk. its wrong.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:56 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I dont buy the excuse of being busy- esp. reL how you feed your kids. If they are obese, and the parent feeds them that garbage, they are responsible. As I said, if the kid is healthy, its not an issue; where I live there are 12 year olds that weigh 300lbs, you see them in Kroger all the time, and the parents are filling their carts with junk. its wrong.
And I'll add to that. You can go to Wendy's and get a Caesar side and a chili side for under $3 if push comes to shove and very few calories. We don't have to load up on burgers and fries. Arby's has good salads too.

But also, you can grab sliced ham, low fat cheese like Mozzarella, pickles and some whole grain bread or pita wrap and make sandwiches. No cooking required. There are ways, many ways to try to eat a littler healthier and not spend a lot of money. I usually take an apple or two to work for my between meal snack. A cucumber with a little lemon juice over it, sliced up, cures that snack attack too. Carrots, grapes, lots of things you can take that don't require cooking, aren't overly expensive and cure need until meal time.

There are many times when I just don't feel like cooking, so I try to keep the above mentioned items at hand. I usually grab a yogurt or a protein drink in the morning. Stress is hard on the system and a lot of people are going through a lot of stress right now. The healthier you can eat, the better for your body. And since our children usually adapt to our eating habits, we need to do it right.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I just posted this at another site, so I thought I'd put it here, too, for the edification of those of you who dont know how serious a problem obeisity is in the USA: The USA has the highestg percentage of adults who are clinically obese of any industrialized country in the world. The breakdown is 34% females and 27% males. The US is behind Lebanon, Qatar, Kuwait adn Panama.

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount (top to bottom)
#1 United States: 30.6%
#2 Mexico: 24.2%
#3 United Kingdom: 23%
#4 Slovakia: 22.4%
#5 Greece: 21.9%
#6 Australia: 21.7%
#7 New Zealand: 20.9%
#8 Hungary: 18.8%
#9 Luxembourg: 18.4%
#10 Czech Republic: 14.8%
#11 Canada: 14.3%
#12 Spain: 13.1%
#13 Ireland: 13%
#14 Germany: 12.9%
#15 Portugal: 12.8%
#16 Finland: 12.8%
#17 Iceland: 12.4%
#18 Turkey: 12%
#19 Belgium: 11.7%
#20 Netherlands: 10%
#21 Sweden: 9.7%
#22 Denmark: 9.5%
#23 France: 9.4%
#24 Austria: 9.1%
#25 Italy: 8.5%
#26 Norway: 8.3%
#27 Switzerland: 7.7%
#28 Japan: 3.2%
#29 Korea, South:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates