Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 08:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why won't The Gluttons just listen to the words of Jesus. Jesus only wants to love and protect his children.
If he did then gluttony would be impossible, not just a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 04:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
God nor political regulation will change peoples' behavior. What will is making them responsible for their choices. If you choose to snark down fast food, and be obese, not exercise, and not take care of yourself, then you and you alone should pay for those choices. Making everything into a sympathetic disorder only gives people excuses not to change their behavior and improve their outlook and lives by doing so. If they choose to indulge, then let them suffer the consequences and not impose them on all of us for the actions of a few.

Come to think of it, if you want to bring God into it (poor God) he quit en masse punishments quite a few years ago, and started enforcing that people take upon themselves the yoke of responsibility, i.e., choosing salvation (or not) and being responsible for their choices. Choose to not take care of yourself - reap the punishment. Choose a responsible life - reap the rewards. But I hesitate to drag God into these things because then people start bleating about 'forgiveness'; "I have to stay with her/him because God says I have to forgive" and even 'God will save me, He promised'. No. God will save you if you choose the right path. Otherwise face perdition - or being cut out of your house so the paramedics can treat you for your ongoing indulgence and the resultant chest pains and inability to walk. (Sorry a little TIC there...)

Old 12-01-2008, 06:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
When we eat out at a restaurant, I make sure that my daughter saves half of her meal for the next day. I know that kid's meals are supposed to be portioned properly but with all the fat and calories that these types of meals contain, I feel it is best to divide up the food. I allow her drink a fun drink like a strawberry lemonade or something like that but no coke. She can have Sprite but no Coke. I think that parents have to be honest with their kids about food today and if they eat fast food or whatever all the time then they may not be fat now but they will be fat later!
Strawberry lemonade, Sprite, and Coke have the same amount of sugar. Not sure why you are worried about which one she drinks--they are all equal. I read your post like the people who go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac, large fries, and Diet Coke.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Good topic, thanks!!

I think that the economy is a big factor. These days, both parents have to work just to pay to "make ends meet." This doesn't leave much time for cooking "wholesome meals" (from "scratch.") In the olden days, more Moms stayed home....and they had time to cook well-rounded meals each night.
I disagree. I work f/t and still manage to put a healthy meal on the table each evening. It doesn't take a lot of effort to toss a chicken into the crock pot before you leave in the morning and then heat up some frozen vegatables and make a pot of steamed rice when you get home. Total prep time for all of it is under 10 minutes. Same thing with making homemade pasta sauce. I make enough for four meals at a time and freeze it. Pull it out of the freezer two days in advance and let it defrost in the fridge, serve over boiled pasta with a green salad. I also do a lot of stirfry. Fast and easy.

People who say they don't have time to cook are either lazy or liars. I can think of at least 20 healthy home cooked meals that take less than 10 minutes to prepare, many are crock pot based and can be set up the night before, cooked during the day, and dinner is ready within 15 minutes of getting home.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Some parts of our country are really "hurting" right now. (Due to layoffs, companies going out of business, or companies moving their their plants overseas, etc.) Families are depleting their savings trying to "survive" in these rough economic times.

Local "food banks" are "hurting" too. They just can't keep up with the demand this year, and don't receive as many donations.

Some people feel lucky that they are able to eat at all! And, they feel lucky that that they can buy canned food for a $1 (or less) at "Dollar Stores," or "Wal-Mart," etc.

When the economy gets better, people can afford to be more selective when it comes to food...and hopefully, have more time to cook for their families. (Instead of working long hours at their jobs...and barely "scraping by.")

To be honest, I don't care what people eat right now. I just don't want to see anyone go hungry.

I'm happy if people can get canned foods from local charities, or "food banks." And, the "value meals" at fast-food outlets help parents feed their kids during these "troubled times." When the economy gets better, people won't have to rely on convenience foods, or "value meals" the way that they do today.

Some people may "seem ok" right now...but they are actually living "right on the edge." They are "stressed out" and worried about losing their jobs, or their retirement savings. They worry that they won't be able to afford to send their kids to college. Some people are worried about losing their homes...and "being put out on the street." But, they keep all of their worries a "secret" and pretend that they are "just fine" and "peachy keen!" (To "save face"....and keep on "going.")

Right now, I cut everyone a lot of "slack" because I know that these are "rough times." I don't want to get on my "high horse" and start nagging people about "what they eat." As I said, I am just happy that people can scrape up enough money to eat everyday....and have money to feed their families "something."

All of the talk about God on this thread seems strange to me....Instead of "throwing stones" at "heavy people," where are the prayers for a more "prosperous economy?" (So parents can spend more time with their kids again.) These days, both parents have to work long hours and "money is tight." Few parents have time to "cook from scratch" right now....or take their kids to the park on a regular basis, etc.

I honestly don't think that God would approve of all of the "attacks" and judgments and "finger-pointing" towards "heavier people."

I think that God has far more compassion and empathy when it comes to what we're going thru right now. These are "troubled times" and I think that God wants us to look at the "larger picture." (Versus being petty, and "throwing stones" at each other.)

Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
"And, the "value meals" at fast-food outlets help parents feed their kids during these "troubled times." When the economy gets better, people won't have to rely on convenience foods, or "value meals" the way that they do today."

The whole point is even these supposed value meals are not a value.
For less money you can duplicate.... no, better..... these meals.

And these meals haven't only been used as a staple during 'these troubled times' but for some amount of years now.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Maybe "value meals" have been popular for some time now, but right now....they are a "godsend" to people who have very little money.

Food prices in stores are "beyond, beyond" right now for a lot of people. (Except for weekly specials.)

We don't have any "farmer's markets" in our area, or access to lower-cost vegetables, fruits, etc.

People who get layed-off don't have their "normal income" anymore. And, they have to "pinch pennies" when jobs are scarce...in order to make-do with their un-employment checks!

Some people operate their own businesses (like we do) and sales are way down right now, compared to "better times."

The whole point that I am trying to make is "who cares what we eat" right now, as long as we still have a roof over our head and "something to eat" everyday.

Most people don't hit up the "value meals" every single day...but it's nice to know that they are "there."

Some people work 2 jobs right now, and their is time is really limited! Maybe we can all pull together and help families in our neighborhood and town by sharing some of our home-cooked meals with them! (When we have a little extra to spare!)

We don't have to make them "feel bad" when we share our ready-made dishes with them....We can tell them that we notice that they are "stretched thin" right now and we just want to help out when we can. How do you feel about the concept of sharing, and helping others?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM

I'm not going to be shamed or bullied into feeding people rather than watching them take their kids to McD's for a value meal that's loaded with fat and sodium when a PB&J at home would cost less, take less time than standing in line to pleace an order and then waiting for the food, and would be more nutritious.

I don't really care what people eat, but by the same token I find it incredibly annoying when people make excuses for questionable behavior. But then again some people always have an excuse--regardless of what the subject it.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow That's bad. I see it all the time where I presently live. Also in Europe, there are alot more walkable cities, I rarely see anyone walk anywhere in the US /in the south. When I lived in a city, everyone walked, its healthier (and also cheaper-lol)

IMO it will get worse and worse in the US where everyone drives 2 blocks, and eats fast food at epidemic rates.
Maybe we should all be the instigators and start walking whenever possible?
I know for myself, I could easily walk to the grocery store, even work. But it can get mighty cold here in Idaho and so, I often drive. The problem is that once we're in the habit of driving everywhere, that's what we do even when it's warm.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:54 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,461 times
You can't blame stores and restaurants and companies that make food that is bad for us. They are just supplying people with what they want. If the public didn't buy such things, they would stop selling them.

People can tell when they are becoming overweight. That's when it's time to ask oneself, what should I do to make myself better? Get a book or a website and read up on it. Go to Weight Watchers. Do whatever you have to do.

If you are young and you don't know any better it is your parents' responsibility to take care of you. Even though you may not like it, they have to understand you are not always going to be happy with the decisions they make for you. So this may mean less chocolate cake or whatever. Hopefully you have parents that will care about you and help you if you're in a bad situation. Otherwise you have to wait until you make your own meal decisions and then improve yourself.

In a nutshell, individuals are to blame. There is no way someone cannot see that he or she is hurting himself or herself and looking horrible in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates