U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,113,598 times

Advertisements

Last week I made a pineapple-sour-cream bundt cake with blueberry-cheesecake filling and a toasted pecan-caramel glaze. All made of good wholesome fresh ingredients, no fast food, and with real butter and sugar. I cut it into 1/4 inch slices, took half of it to work, and it took us a week and a half to eat the other half. Now, would you rather have THAT or spend your money on a box of Lil Debbies? We don't buy store-bought bread any more, but make our own. It is cheaper and we control the ingredients.

Yes it takes time and organizing the right ingredients and effort to make something from scratch rather than to buy something off the shelf that immediately gratifies. But I think that is the whole problem - too many folks are looking for instant gratification of not only their needs but their desires, and then wonder why they have to suffer the consequences of their choices. They can use the excuse of poverty or lack of time - but taking the time to plan and design healthful meals is a responsibility like any other. If you don't take the responsibility now, you will later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,536,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.

IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...

Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....

Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.

who is responsible?????

the individual eating the food.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:59 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,209,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Here we go with that same old totally false statement again.
Relax people....you don't have to be so rude.

Are you saying that a chicken dinner with brown rice and a salad is cheaper than a meal made with cheap ground beef and a $2.00 box of hamburger helper?

That was my comparison and my point is that in hard times people will gravitate towards the meals that are cheaper and spread thinner (carbs) then healthier meals. I see it in my own community so can't argue about that.

You all might try to be a little welcoming instead of slamming the first person who enters the conversation. We are just here to talk and have a nice cup of coffee or tea together.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:02 PM

380 posts, read 933,232 times
Just get yourself outside and moving. For kids, parents need to have them just do more-not just sports but work in yard, house or apartment. For working professionals, walk up the steps instead of elevator. Last, older folks, get with your old school pals and go for jaunts, walks etc. Now for the best advice to avoid obesity, and it is a very easy exercise- to avoid getting too overweight just learn to push yourself away from the table at meal time. Simple as it sounds, it works, a combination of this and light exercise and I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:08 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,791,504 times
The individual is responsible, there's nobody else that can be. Except in cases a childhood obesity maybe. But as adults, it's the obese persons responsibility.

Most Americans eat an extremely unhealthy diet. A lot of people I know eat meat wayyyyyy too much. And their diet resembles what a bodybuilder would eat when he was trying to bulk up. Every meal is super high calorie, huge portion and greasy. I also don't see people eatig fruits and veggies too much compared to other countries.

And most obese people I know just don't exercise at all, if they need to go somewhere they always drive, so they just never get any kind of exercise at all. The human body was designed to walk, run, climb and burn calories every day. But lot of Americans never make their bodies do this. So their bodies just absorb all that fat.

It's the unhealthy food, the car culture, and laziness. It's up to the person themself to resist and live a healthy lifestyle.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:42 PM

13,115 posts, read 9,199,435 times
Smile Try this for yourself

Obesity?
The real culprit is the brain, and it's on drugs.

You all have experienced the profound pleasure of satiated hunger, especially after suffering hunger pangs.

The brain and body communicate, via biochemistry, to insure survival.

Unfortunately, due to our modern benefits of concentrated foodstuffs, and rapid deployment into the blood stream, our brains can't keep up.

Here's an experiment for those plagued by a communication mix up.

1. When you make a standard size meal (not junk food), divide it up into 1/2 cup portions.
2. Eat one 1/2 cup portion every hour or so, but do not wait 2 or more hours between eating.
3. Note when your hunger pangs cease to plague you.
4. You may find yourself not eating mindlessly, nor binging. You may even forget to eat your allotted portion on time.

I have found that about 20 - 40 minutes after micro-eating, I am not aware of that gnawing urge to binge. Nor am I plagued with that bloated but hungry feeling. (i.e., Chinese Food Syndrome - hunger after eating a meal)

So far, I've only noticed the urge to eat every 1.5 hours, far less than I originally planned.

See if your brain is happy with a moderate flow of "drugs" from 11 to 17 micro meals delivered at shorter intervals than the traditional "Three Meals a Day".
(Surgery free gastric bypass?)

Portion control - instead of hunger control - may be the best solution to overcome the biochemistry of obesity.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM

604 posts, read 1,050,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
Relax people....you don't have to be so rude.

Are you saying that a chicken dinner with brown rice and a salad is cheaper than a meal made with cheap ground beef and a $2.00 box of hamburger helper?

That was my comparison and my point is that in hard times people will gravitate towards the meals that are cheaper and spread thinner (carbs) then healthier meals. I see it in my own community so can't argue about that.

You all might try to be a little welcoming instead of slamming the first person who enters the conversation. We are just here to talk and have a nice cup of coffee or tea together.
No, I don't think that was the message at all. I believe it was something more like:
apples and chicken
vs
fast food meal
Let's say the average fast food meal is $5. So you pay your $5 for lunch or dinner or whatever. One meal. That's a choice that is made.
To me, if you're REAL broke, you take that $5 to the grocery store and buy whatever's on sale, maybe chicken, maybe beef, whatever, but you can probably get close to a pound of it for maybe $2-$3, depending on personal preference and bargain shopping skills.....then you take the remaining $2-$3 and buy a box of rice or bag of carrots, maybe even both, or bread or whatever. Now you can eat several meals, not just one, for the same price.
I think that was the point.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,209,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
No, I don't think that was the message at all. I believe it was something more like:
apples and chicken
vs
fast food meal
Let's say the average fast food meal is $5. So you pay your $5 for lunch or dinner or whatever. One meal. That's a choice that is made.
To me, if you're REAL broke, you take that $5 to the grocery store and buy whatever's on sale, maybe chicken, maybe beef, whatever, but you can probably get close to a pound of it for maybe $2-$3, depending on personal preference and bargain shopping skills.....then you take the remaining $2-$3 and buy a box of rice or bag of carrots, maybe even both, or bread or whatever. Now you can eat several meals, not just one, for the same price.
I think that was the point.
Where you been???? The average fast food meal is 2-3 bucks. Dollar menu girl. You cannot buy a home cooked, healthy meal for 2-3 dollars. If and when you do....take a picture of it so we can see how creative you are.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
As the economy worsens, people will become more obese. Fast food is cheaper than healthy food. And hamburger helper is cheaper to make than meat and salads. It will be interesting to see how we all fare when we get out of this economic mess.
Please stop perpetuating the myth that healthful food is not cheaper than unhealthful food. Healthful food IS cheaper. You just have to use your head and shop right, and be willing to actually enter your kitchen and cook.

Last edited by SuSuSushi; 01-27-2009 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: EEEK clarified...not enough coffee yet...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,024,297 times
Quote:
You cannot buy a home cooked, healthy meal for 2-3 dollars.
How much does a bowl of rice from a 20lb bag and some bulk beans cost? You could probably add a good selection of whatever vegetables are on sale at the moment. Could be broccoli; could be a spinach bundle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates