U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,869,262 times

Advertisements

I would like to think that we are all responsible for our own behavior but when it comes to obesity, several things seem to factor in. First there is the hereditary factor of it all, second I think some people who are obese could have medical issues and lastly it is also a lack of control on our own part. Yes, it does have something to do with parenting as well as our fat cells do form in our younger years.

My husband and I are both obese...not morbidly obese but overweight just the same. I have fought my weight my entire life and have had several trips to Weight Watchers and other Weight programs and nothing has worked for me. I use to marvel at how the women at some of these classes would stand up and blame stress, boredom, sadness, even being happy for why they overeat. At one class, I told everyone the reason I eat too much is because I LIKE IT. Probably was the most honest answer there.The most important thing now that we have become such an obese country is to figure out a way to help stop it or at least control it.

Obese people know they are obese so they really don't need anyone to remind them. It is not the most fun thing to be and does come with all sorts of complications. I try real hard to see some humor in it which I find helps me when I do diet. My biggest pet peeve about being obese is that when I go into a restaurant to eat the waitress will walk me over to a booth of all things. First of all, I have a hard time sliding in and out of the booth because I am short...5'3" and have a hard time reaching the floor to PUSH myself in. Secondly, if you have any "girth" to you at all, the booth just isn't comfortable. I have in the past said to the waitress, "Now, come on, do I look like I can sit comfortably in a booth?".

All joking aside, the time for blaming anyone is long gone and the time for action is here. If we all would just offer the help obese people need and do it with love and a sense of humor I think this whole thing could be turned around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM

588 posts, read 1,687,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The food industry is to blame, pure and simple.
Nice. By this logic, everyone who eats food should be obese. Let me correct your statement:

"Lack of personal responsibility is to blame, pure and simple."

Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,943,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
All joking aside, the time for blaming anyone is long gone and the time for action is here. If we all would just offer the help obese people need and do it with love and a sense of humor I think this whole thing could be turned around.
The action needs to come from the fat person. I didn't make you fat, it's not my responsibility to help you lose weight. You put the calories into your body, it's your job to get rid of the results. As far as a sense of humor about it...are you kidding me? If I make a joke about it, fat people will jump all over me.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,017,663 times
It's amazing how we've become a society whose main goal seems to be avoiding personal responsibility and accountability. Everything is an excuse or a "syndrome." You can sit around on your (oversized) butt all day long and blame heredity, high calorie foods, and/or Satan, but the bottom line remains: if you're fat, you're the one responsible. And if you don't want to be fat any more, then you're the one who's going to have to do something about it.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,081,636 times
I have NEVER lived in a place in the US where healthy food cannot be found and a healthy diet is not possible. You do have a choice about what foods you eat, you just have to think a little more and avoid lots of places. A lot of American people just don't try to avoid unhealthy places like they should.

Personally, I would not even eat at most fast food places and other unhealthy chain restaurants. And I try to shop at health food stores instead of just buying nasty stuff at Cosco or wherever. I also try to avoid foods full of strange chemicals.

By the same logic. If you lived in a neighborhood full of junkies. Would you do heroin too just because it's everywhere and everyone else you know does it? No you wouldn't, you just avoid it because it's not good for you right? Do the same thing with food.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,628,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.
TV is mostly crap and only gets worse with time. This is news?

Quote:
IMO obesity in America is epidemic,
IMO, bull****. I'm not saying there aren't more than a few people or families out there who have a poor diet, but I think the media over-hypes it.

Quote:
I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.
Truckloads of morons out there who should've been nneutered at a very early age. This should also not be news.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's amazing how we've become a society whose main goal seems to be avoiding personal responsibility and accountability.
Don't forget instant gratification.

Quote:
Everything is an excuse or a "syndrome." You can sit around on your (oversized) butt all day long and blame heredity, high calorie foods, and/or Satan, but the bottom line remains: if you're fat, you're the one responsible. And if you don't want to be fat any more, then you're the one who's going to have to do something about it.
This is mostly true, but to be fair there are exceptions, rare though they may be. Not everyone has serious weight problems because they are lazy or eat poorly. Most, but not all.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
It depends on your point of view.

All restaurants in this country serve huge portions of food. It caters to over eating and the food is rich & fatty. It's addictive.

On the other hand, people have to accept personal responsibility for their actions. And eating too much of the wrong types of food is certainly our action.

But also, Anerica has become the nation of "I want it now". We're lazy and more and more people refuse to learn to cook and/or eat healthy. Almost all high schools have eliminated home economics. As such, while our schools are so busy teaching how to be a homosexual, things like nutrition have gone by the boards. But it's what people have chosen.

We also encourage kids to be inside with computer games rather than outside getting excercise.

There's a lot of blame to go around. First, we are personally accountable. Second, we have a system at school and elsewhere that encourages it all.
I should have read this first before mostly just re-stating it.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM

857 posts, read 861,110 times
first off this is going to become a rant, my apologies in advance: but its very easy to understand obesity when u look at a few factors:

from a biological standpoint. when our ancestors were nomadic people and food was scarce, it was in a persons best interest to eat up as much fat as possible when it was available so it could be stored and used when food was scarce. thus our tastebuds adapted to tell us that anything fatty is F@#$% delicious! but we have evolved and now food is readily available and people cannot get over their instincts to stop eating fatty foods.

fatty foods are the cheapest, easiest, and most readily available food in america. sure i could go to a grocery store and buy a bunch of ingredients and take it home and cook a nutritious meal OR i could go over to wendys and get a delicious meal for under $6 in less than 5 minutes. lets face it, in general we're lazy and cheap, fatty foods win again.

we live in a society that is way too apologetic and lets people get away with a lot. "its not their fault their fat, its genetics" will someone please point out where the morbidly obese people were 200 yeares ago??? I know it would cause a lot of "emotional damage" but if everyone was allowed to make fun of fat people to their face I'll bet a large percentage would eventually start losing the weight. but we dont, instead we say it behind their backs and they r allowed to go thru life as a punch line.

obesity must be like an addiction because obese peole act just like smokers. they r well aware of all the reasons to stop, like all the health risks, as well as all the benefits of changing their ways, but they still continue on. and when they try to quit, they think it can be done instantly, they do something dramatic, like going cold turkey or going on the newest fad diet, but soon enough they r back where they started b/c they dont realize its too hard to change that quickly and need to do things on a gradual rate.

and before i get blasted for hating on fatties i must confess that i am overweight myself, but I am working on it. as of feb last year i was over 250 lbs, when the scale says i way a quarter of a TON i realized its time to get off my ass. since then i have been slowly changing things in my lifestyle and have lost 35 lbs and going strong. and yes it sucks and yes i wish i could just sit on the couch and eat fast food everyday, but in the long run being healthier has made me happier than anything that came from a fast food window. losing weight takes hard work and commitment, two things that r hard to come by. and thats y a lot of people think they cant lose weight when really they r just unwilling to truelly commit to losing the weight, they give up easily and they seek the shelter of their couch and their comfort foods.

but in the end this is america, and we cant force anybody to do anything, so we have to let people spend their lives doing whatever makes them happy. and if that means wearing sweatpants all the time and not being able to get into a restaurant booth then more power to them

Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,943,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post

fatty foods are the cheapest...
No they're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates