U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,174,193 times

Advertisements

Blaming people, faulting them, shaming someone....calling someone "lazy" for being "heavy" will never "cure" or "fix" the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,147,526 times
I don't think obesity is that simple of strictly bad food choices and lack of exercise. It's more complicated. I think hormones in woman affect metabolism, as well as other factors. Also, the genetic component is underemphasized.I'm thin, but I feel for people who are overweight. They're so ostracized--everyone has their own vices and issues. The people who point the finger, I'm sure have their own.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 AM

13,328 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think our growing obesity is caused by:

1. Personal responsibility
2. Food additives such as high fructose corn syrup added to many common foods, as well as saturated fats
3. Large advertising/marketing budgets of the fast food, soft drink and snack food industries
4. Accessibility, i.e. Coke/Pepsi/snack foods in schools
5. Less exercise, more sedentary lifestyle
6. Not enough practical nutritional education at early-school age by schools and parents
7. Our "hurry-up" lifestyle leading to "drive-by" eating rather than "slow food" of sitting down for a meal
8. Related to above--fewer stay-at-home parents (both working or single parent households) leads to more packaged and fast foods on the dinner table
9. Super-sizing portions--we're eating a calorie overload

I think this is a pretty comprehensive list. While I do believe that fast food like McDonalds is the devil, I think its our lack of discipline as a society that causes obesity. It is our own fault. We just don't need as much food as we eat and need to skip meals or eat far less than we do. I often just skip dinner or lunch because I'm just not that hungry. We eat because of the clock, not if we need to or not.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:28 AM

13,328 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I feel for people who are overweight. They're so ostracized--everyone has their own vices and issues. The people who point the finger, I'm sure have their own.

How can the majority of Americans be ostracized???

Quote:
Approximately 62 percent of female Americans are considered overweight.

Approximately 67 percent of male Americans are considered overweight.
Obesity In America - Obesity, BMI Demographics (http://www.obesityinamerica.org/bythenumbers.html - broken link)

Stop blaming metabolism or hormones. EAT LESS!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 AM

6,878 posts, read 17,812,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Obesity in America- who is to blame?
The people that eat/buy the crappy food, maybe?

A little personal responsibility goes a long way, IMHO.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:37 AM

6,878 posts, read 17,812,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How can the majority of Americans be ostracized???

Obesity In America - Obesity, BMI Demographics (http://www.obesityinamerica.org/bythenumbers.html - broken link)

Stop blaming metabolism or hormones. EAT LESS!
I agree for the most part--simply because only about 10% of people in the US actually have a metabolic issue (i.e. thyroid disease). The rest got a little overweight and THAT caused their hormonal systems to get all screwed up. If people would eat less and exercise, just losing 15% of your body fat can lead to hormonal issues straightening themselves out in many cases.

For instance, a female with PCOS who weighs 250 lbs will definitely find her symptoms decreasing once she gets down to just 212 or so. Continuing at 250 will not only make her current burdens worse, it will invite more issues (arthritis, hormonal imbalances).

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
There are several problems I see where I do not blame families (parents) but our government:

• Our healthy groceries cost far more than our junk groceries - go to other countries and this is reversed
<snipped for brevity>

Now tell me it's the parents' fault....it's not in most cases.
The bolded statement is such a load of hooey. I see so many of you that keep parroting this nonsense about healthful foods costing more than junk foods, and all I can think is...what planet are you living on?

I can eat FAR more cheaply and healthfully on foods that are good for me than on junk foods. Anyone that says otherwise either doesn't know how to shop, or they don't know how to cook, and not knowing how to cook is not an excuse. If you can read, you can cook.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,142,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Blaming people, faulting them, shaming someone....calling someone "lazy" for being "heavy" will never "cure" or "fix" the problem.
Well, in all fairness most fat people are fat due to their own actions.

I just don't care. I mean, I have better things to worry about than what other people are doing to their own bodies.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 AM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.

IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...

Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....

Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.
It is sad. I think it has to do with a lot of things. Marketing and advertising. Big corporations brainwashing people into eating sugar. Packaged foods. People not having enough money to buy healthier foods. And people working so many hours to survive that they neglect their bodies.

Ultimately, though, people have to take responsibility for what they put in their mouths. Most big grocery stores make me ill. Nothing in there looks like real food to me. I really try to eat healthy most of the time, but there are times when I slip and eat whatever I want, like pizza and ice-cream and chips and blueberry muffins in the morning. I can't do it for long though, because I start to feel bloated and disgusting.

Food. It's a love hate thing.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,448,163 times
I think a part of it is the lack of movement in our society. We can drive everywhere and don't really have a need to walk. We hire people to do our labor like cleaning and moving. Also I know in my case now I work from home. I don't even have to get dressed or go anywhere. I just roll out of bed and turn my laptop on and plop myself on the couch. A lot of days I'm so busy, I don't even move for 8 hours straight. I literally now have to remind myself to walk around, do some stretches and jumping jacks during the day.

While technology has made our lives easier, they have been our demise also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates