U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times

Advertisements

We've eliminated PE, an active recess period and nutrition classes in our public schools

Then we add in lunch selections in the cafeterias that are all unhealthy food choices.

We buy tons of video games for our kids so that they can spend 4-5 hours after school staring at a monitor.

Some(if not all) neighborhoods are too dangerous for children to walk home from school with out a fear of gang violence or some pervert trying to kidnap a child.

So I am not really surprised that obesity is out of control.

When I was in high school (private) we were REQUIRED to run as a class (on the track and cross country style) and this was daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
the man with the fork.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,113,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
We havn't side tracked off the topic...the issue being discussed is whether it is ok to send fat people to mandatory fat camps
Actually the issue is who's to blame for fat people being fat, but even that aside, you guys sidetracked ina much broader, philosophic way. (I was mostly kidding but it is kind of a pet peeve)

Quote:
Apparently Tricky D thinks that societal regimentation, such as found in ants or fascists, is an appropriate way to run society. My thesis is that a pluralistic society is richer in every way, and richer societies are better for all participants
Start a thread, I'm all for "waxing philosophic" about such things...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Actually the issue is who's to blame for fat people being fat, but even that aside, you guys sidetracked ina much broader, philosophic way. (I was mostly kidding but it is kind of a pet peeve)

Start a thread, I'm all for "waxing philosophic" about such things...
It is no "waxing." It is about establishing a real, sustainable, and learned approach--to not just start poking epithets at each other. A strong foundation in moral theory is a required prerequisite for establishing a social policy.

That being said, you are welcome to help establish that needed foundation, or you can ignore the need to establish that foundation.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,113,947 times
"Waxing" wasn't a criticism; I've no idea why you took it that way.

But congrats on talking w/o really saying anything, not to mention straying well off topic again into broad generalities. Do you impress girls at parties with this bit?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:02 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by dcashley
Quote:
Apparently Tricky D thinks that societal regimentation, such as found in ants or fascists, is an appropriate way to run society. My thesis is that a pluralistic society is richer in every way, and richer societies are better for all participants.
Ants are plenty plural, every different type of ant in the colony has a different task.
The reason why I believe that ants are perfect for building societies is simply because ants are social workers who are renowned for their co-operative behaviour.
Because of this ants virtually have no crime within their colony.

Besidez, should a whole neighborhoud suffer from drugrelated crime, because 1 individual wanted to get high or become drunk?
Quote:
My thesis is founded on the humanistic writers such as Kant, Voltaire, Benjamin Franklin, Russel, Bentham, Adam Smith, Madison, and others.
When it comes to philosophy or philosophers I agree with Karl Marx:
Quote:
One of the most difficult tasks confronting philosophers is to descend from the world of thought to the actual world. Language is the immediate actuality of thought. Just as philosophers have given thought an independent existence, so they were bound to make language into an independent realm.
Marx, German Ideology, Chapter 3 (1846)

Philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sex.
Karl Marx

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx
Back to the OP: American society is to blame for obesity in America, simply because it is easier for society to influence the individual than it is for the individual to change society.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 AM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
American society is to blame for obesity in America, simply because it is easier for society to influence the individual than it is for the individual to change society.
So much for personal responsibility. Poof--gone.
Do you really beleive that you are helpless? Do you really beleive that you cannot control your environment?

Yeah, yeah...I know...lot's of stuff you can't control. I mean, its not your fault that you were born to poor parents--so why should you suffer, or be expected to take charge of your own life. BULL. Each of us is responsible for ourselves, our feelings, our health, our income, our families, and our bodies. If you decide to ignore your responsibilities--it is ok--but you know that it is still YOUR responsibility.

If you smoke, eat too much, drink too much, use drugs, or engage in illicit sex without protections--then you may face consequences. Those consequences are yours--they do not belong to me, my neighbor, your neighbor or your society. These issues of being fat are not "societal" issues--they are personal issues.

The real societal issue is that there is a large sub-culture in our nation that refuses to recognize both the concept of personal responsibility and how it applies to them individually.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by dcashley
Quote:
So much for personal responsibility. Poof--gone.
Do you really beleive that you are helpless? Do you really beleive that you cannot control your environment?
Nope, but apparently you have the habit of only seeing things in black & white.
The way I see it is that man can be labelled into 2 general categories:
1. Leaders
2. Followers.
It isn't my fault that more than the majority of people are followers and / or easily crack under peer pressure.

FYI I'm not a leader either; I just know for certain that I'm not a follower.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
First responsibility is with the Parents - they can, and should, control what their children eat / drink etc

As the person gets older, they assume responsiblity for themselves - then it becomes their responsibility - they have DIRECT control what they eat or drink

It is not societies / governments responsibility in any shape, fashion, or form

Old 03-21-2009, 03:06 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First responsibility is with the Parents - they can, and should, control what their children eat / drink etc

As the person gets older, they assume responsiblity for themselves - then it becomes their responsibility - they have DIRECT control what they eat or drink

It is not societies / governments responsibility in any shape, fashion, or form
With the exception of children in public schools, I agree.

Public schools need to include PE and recess in the schedule and need to serve healthy food in the cafeterias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates