Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 04:32 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.

IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...

Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....

Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.
I think it many reasons why we as a nation for friggin fat. People don't exercise. I guess that is obvious. Peoples lives are too busy to cook and spend quality time with the kids.

I fear where this nation will be in 20 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:32 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

You've GOT to be kidding me. Just when I thought our schools couldn't get any more ****ed up. Isn't there any competence or actual caring about the kids among school administrators anymore?? Have we gotten THAT short-sighted??
Yes. We are that short-sighted. Thanks, in part, to the "no child left behind" and, in part, to uninvolved parents, and, in part, to parents who chose to fight with the school via anger and lawsuits instead of getting involved. People are just refusing to take personal responsibility for themselves and their families--and this is what we end up with.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:33 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it many reasons why we as a nation for friggin fat. People don't exercise. I guess that is obvious. Peoples lives are too busy to cook and spend quality time with the kids.

I fear where this nation will be in 20 30 years.
Obesity will be the new "smoking" by then.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Peer pressure rather than personal responsibility? You are probably right peer pressure would probably work. Based on what I've read on C-D most people are afraid of personal responsibility.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by dcashley
Quote:
Which are you? Whine about the world/society/parents/government or take responsibility and "get 'er done."????????????
I'm the 1 who only feels and takes responsibility for my own actions and only get those things going that have my full support.

Besidez, I’m not the 1 complaining about Americans getting fat.
Simply because that isn’t my fault.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Lot's of interesting ideas on this thread. Unfortunately, as is typical, many tend to downplay personal responsibility. As dchashley states, folks tend to fear personal responsibility.

My view is simple. The blame for obesity rests squarely on whomever is shoveling the food into the obese person's mouth. Barring any kinky sort of thing, it's generally the obese person who shovels the food into himself/herself.

Personally, I've found that I can eat anything I please as long as I don't do it in excess. If I do do it in excess, then I only have myself to blame.

This rubbish about blaming it on availability or those who manufacture the food is simply a quest for a scapegoat--dismissal of personal responsibility. There is a bridge near my home. If I go jump off from that bridge and kill myself, are you going to blame the engineers and construction firm who built the bridge?

The answer to most anything of this nature is… personal choice.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Lot's of interesting ideas on this thread. Unfortunately, as is typical, many tend to downplay personal responsibility. As dchashley states, folks tend to fear personal responsibility.

My view is simple. The blame for obesity rests squarely on whomever is shoveling the food into the obese person's mouth. Barring any kinky sort of thing, it's generally the obese person who shovels the food into himself/herself.

Personally, I've found that I can eat anything I please as long as I don't do it in excess. If I do do it in excess, then I only have myself to blame.

This rubbish about blaming it on availability or those who manufacture the food is simply a quest for a scapegoat--dismissal of personal responsibility. There is a bridge near my home. If I go jump off from that bridge and kill myself, are you going to blame the engineers and construction firm who built the bridge?

The answer to most anything of this nature is… personal choice.
Good man! I could not agree more! You are spot on correct.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That will be funny! Imagine some city passing a law banning obese people from public spaces.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That will be funny! Imagine some city passing a law banning obese people from public spaces.
I wouldn't complain if they banned obese people from sitting next to me on airplanes.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I wouldn't complain if they banned obese people from sitting next to me on airplanes.
'specially on long flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates