U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,026,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The bolded statement is such a load of hooey. I see so many of you that keep parroting this nonsense about healthful foods costing more than junk foods, and all I can think is...what planet are you living on?

I can eat FAR more cheaply and healthfully on foods that are good for me than on junk foods. Anyone that says otherwise either doesn't know how to shop, or they don't know how to cook, and not knowing how to cook is not an excuse. If you can read, you can cook.
i have to admit that i have said that before, but now that i've made a conscious effort to shop around and cook more (i seem to be spending all of my days off cooking, ha), you CAN eat healthy and cheaply... you just have to know where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,192,558 times
Who is to blame? The obese are to blame. Lack of discipline and exercise make you fat.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 AM

23 posts, read 70,654 times
How about the parents? Isn't it our responsiblity as parents to raise a responsible child? I agree lack of discipline...lack of self discipline lack of responsible parenting.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
...........the government should do this and that ......marketing/advertisers/McDonald's are to blame......economy...it's the price of healty food........."

it's getting really scary to learn more and more about who cohabits this country with me........especially those that think the government can/should govern what people stuff in their own mouths with their own hands

News item! The government can neither regulate common sense nor send it to you like a rebate check.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM

23 posts, read 70,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
...........the government should do this and that ......marketing/advertisers/McDonald's are to blame......economy...it's the price of healty food........."

it's getting really scary to learn more and more about who cohabits this country with me........especially those that think the government can/should govern what people stuff in their own mouths with their own hands

News item! The government can neither regulate common sense nor send it to you like a rebate check.
Exactly!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 AM

42,223 posts, read 49,783,147 times
You can't get fat without putting the food in your mouth yourself.
There is the responsibility.

As to children, parents with obese kids should be charged with abuse/neglect.
They are responsible for the well-being of these children.
Allowing them to be obese is no different than allowing them to starve or freeze or go naked or hitting them with a brick. CPS should be all over that.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,845,986 times
Parents are always to blame for a child's problem that is not a genetic disorder. But unfortunately, most parents wont take responsibility and that's why we have so many dumb laws in this country. If I want to be able to eat some fatty foods, I should be able to, but I should also know that I need to work it off. If I ever get fat, it'll be my fault for eating worse and not exercising. As a kid, I was fat for a couple of years and it was purely because I sat on the couch for 6 hours a day eating snacks and watching TV and I had a personal pan pepperoni pizza and a package of Hostess Cupcakes every day for lunch and a six-pack of soda every day. Once I gave up soda as a 15 year old and then gradually cut out most of the fatty food, I went from 36% body fat (and a 6.1 time in the 40 yard dash) to 6% body fat (and a 4.6 40 yard time) at my peak a couple of years ago. All it took was a concentrated effort to eat a little better and to exercise a lot more. My sister has lost 50 pounds with proper diet and exercise too, my father went from over 250 to under 200 doing the same...that's all it takes.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
I have to say the individaul . Americans are eating more because they can and they are excercising less. I was looking the other night at school books from elemtary to high school and the difference in what I see now and then was frightening. It was rare to see a overweight student in the books dating to the late 60's.To answer teh question: i thnik it satrts with parents looking at the numbers now.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:51 PM

528 posts, read 1,306,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The bolded statement is such a load of hooey. I see so many of you that keep parroting this nonsense about healthful foods costing more than junk foods, and all I can think is...what planet are you living on?

I can eat FAR more cheaply and healthfully on foods that are good for me than on junk foods. Anyone that says otherwise either doesn't know how to shop, or they don't know how to cook, and not knowing how to cook is not an excuse. If you can read, you can cook.
You're right - we must not be living on the same planet. Do you have your own pig and cow and hens and farm land for your produce?

Let's talk dinner examples than:

Hamburger helper is far less expensive than organic chicken, with a side of organic green beans and potatoes.

Enriched pasta with a can of Prego spaghetti sauce is far less expensive than the fresh pasta or even whole wheat pasta and organic sauce. Want some meat in your sauce? Nice yummy ground meat with who knows what in it? Mmm....

Remember, you have to keep in mind that I say organic because this is the only way to keep the DRUGS out of our food. Drugs have chemical reactions in our bodies which the average person cannot begin to comprehend. You name me one balanced meal that's healthy (and it's just a bag of lettuce) that will cost less than a junkier food.

C'mon...you name for me a healthy, chemical free dinner that costs less than junk food.

Unless your version of healthy food differs from mine (meaning, you're ok with pesticides and injecting hormones and drugs into our food), I can't imagine that you could come up with any kind of list.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,845,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
You're right - we must not be living on the same planet. Do you have your own pig and cow and hens and farm land for your produce?

Let's talk dinner examples than:

Hamburger helper is far less expensive than organic chicken, with a side of organic green beans and potatoes.

Enriched pasta with a can of Prego spaghetti sauce is far less expensive than the fresh pasta or even whole wheat pasta and organic sauce. Want some meat in your sauce? Nice yummy ground meat with who knows what in it? Mmm....

Remember, you have to keep in mind that I say organic because this is the only way to keep the DRUGS out of our food. Drugs have chemical reactions in our bodies which the average person cannot begin to comprehend. You name me one balanced meal that's healthy (and it's just a bag of lettuce) that will cost less than a junkier food.

C'mon...you name for me a healthy, chemical free dinner that costs less than junk food.

Unless your version of healthy food differs from mine (meaning, you're ok with pesticides and injecting hormones and drugs into our food), I can't imagine that you could come up with any kind of list.
Sure, you can go to Whole foods and assume it's all more healthy than anything else, but there's plenty of cheap food that's healthy too. Plus, people eat such huge servings. Look at the size of Movie snacks. I can just as easily go to Jaycee's Market (the Mexican market in my neighborhood) and buy veggies, whole wheat pasta, black beans and other healthy items that are not processed for quite cheap. Heck, even the corner store next to my house sells boxes of Whole Wheat Linguini for just $1.25 a box, which can feed a family of four for a night.

The real reason why half this country is fat is laziness. Too lazy to find healthy alternatives, too lazy to cook, too lazy to exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates