U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Apples are $1 /lb at wal-mart right now...
Isn't a good sized apple about 3/4 lb...ergo, about 70 cents or so???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
I'm a believer that bullying in school promotes mental toughness. Those who can't take being bullied and breaks down or commits suicide, well I chose to view that in a Darwinian perspective.
You really are a cruel person. Do you really want to raise children to be angry, and unable to cope in modern society?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Agree those last few posts were refreshing as hell. too bad they're spitting into the wind.
Only stupid people spit INTO the wind.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:45 PM

550 posts, read 1,071,035 times
My point is that having been bullied and to win over obstacle such as bullies will make you stronger and better at coping with modern society.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Isnt that essentially what we are all doing here with every post
No...it's not....read my last few.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
My point is that having been bullied and to win over obstacle such as bullies will make you stronger and better at coping with modern society.
That "theory" has been tested by quite a few psychologists. They found out that people who have to overcome those kinds of obstacles actuallyl end up weaker, and less able to manage their own affairs in the future. This is especially true for children. If you want children to have mental toughness, the FIRST thing you need to instill in them is self-confidence. A bully is not self-confident--he has to get physical to feel validated. His victim is not self-confident--he has to "overcome" the bully. Bullies are not good for anyone: the bully, the victim, or those that know them.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:53 PM

550 posts, read 1,071,035 times
I was bullied, in the end I punched the two year older bully as hard as I could right infront of his teacher who of course went absolutely crazy on me, but the bully never bullied me again, and later we became friends. Since then I've always grabbed the bull by it's horns and faced problems head-on. If your psychologist wants to tell me I'm weaker for it, fine let him.

By the way did you take that psychology from the local schools anti-bullying group or something? they usually come with that crap...

Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I was bullied, in the end I punched the two year older bully as hard as I could right infront of his teacher who of course went absolutely crazy on me, but the bully never bullied me again, and later we became friends. Since then I've always grabbed the bull by it's horns and faced problems head-on. If your psychologist wants to tell me I'm weaker for it, fine let him.

By the way did you take that psychology from the local schools anti-bullying group or something? they usually come with that crap...
You were not the typical victim. ...and I'll bet your parents worked pretty hard to make sure you had a solid sense of self-confidence. It doesn't work that way for everyone.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 PM

38,751 posts, read 37,920,228 times
People need to take responsibility for themselves. It isn't nobody's fault that I need to lose 20 pounds. It's my own damn fault. I know how to eat properly and to exercise. You'd have to be a friggin moron in our present day society if you don't know those things. If you didn't know, there's a million places people could go to learn proper nutrition blah blah.

This reminds me of people who sue fast food chains for them being fat. This type of thing gets my goat.

I don't like my goat messed with.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
You really are a cruel person. Do you really want to raise children to be angry, and unable to cope in modern society?

No, he wants kids to be able AND willing to tackle problems head on. God forbid.

The kids who are coddled, sheltered, over-protected....there are your unable to cope in modern society folks. And tragically it's all the rage.

And frankly lol @ "psychologists say" - are these the same psychologists who have been handing out anti-depressants like candy? Excuse me for being underwhelmed. A great many IMO haven't the faintest clue what the hell they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates