U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,719,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

No, he wants kids to be able AND willing to tackle problems head on. God forbid.

The kids who are coddled, sheltered, over-protected....there are your unable to cope in modern society folks. And tragically it's all the rage.

And frankly lol @ "psychologists say" - are these the same psychologists who have been handing out anti-depressants like candy? Excuse me for being underwhelmed. A great many IMO haven't the faintest clue what the hell they are talking about.
Psychoilogists do not prescibe medications--psychiatrists do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,119,566 times
True, yet often at the recommendation of a psychologist.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
True, yet often at the recommendation of a psychologist.
Psychologists are not trained to be able to give medications. If a psychologist thinks someone's problems are psychiatrically based (as in brain chemicals), rather than psychologically based, then a psychologist may refer a patient to a psychiatrist. But psychologists do not make recommendations regarding medication to a psychiatrist. Doing so is mal-practice.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 AM

830 posts, read 2,507,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.

IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...

Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....

Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.

I think parents with obese children should be criminally charged with child abuse.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,119,566 times
I think parents who spoil their kids rotten should be too. Hold your breath.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I think parents with obese children should be criminally charged with child abuse.
I heard of someone in my city who had an extremely obese kid...I don't mean just fat. This kid was something like 9 years old, and weighed something like 250 pounds....The kids parents WERE arrested for child abuse.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,776,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I heard of someone in my city who had an extremely obese kid...I don't mean just fat. This kid was something like 9 years old, and weighed something like 250 pounds....The kids parents WERE arrested for child abuse.
Glad to hear it!

There needs to be a law that states if your child is more than XXX number of times over an acceptable weight, you can either be prosecuted or your kids can be taken away.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Glad to hear it!

There needs to be a law that states if your child is more than XXX number of times over an acceptable weight, you can either be prosecuted or your kids can be taken away.
I think that already exists in case law...but I don't know what the limits are--it is probablyl case-specific--because some medical conditions may cause "fattness"--I am not sure about that though.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,776,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I think that already exists in case law...but I don't know what the limits are--it is probablyl case-specific--because some medical conditions may cause "fattness"--I am not sure about that though.
Thyroid conditions can. I'm not sure about any others. If the obesity is caused by a medical issue, I don't think action should be taken against the parents.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,703,934 times
I think nanny laws are bad for America.

If you want your freedom, you have to take the bad with the good. Every time a nanny law is passed, our freedoms are chipped away just a little more. Eventually, the tree will fall over and everyone will be asking how it could have possibly happened...

Let people raise their kids however they want. What your neighbor feeds their kids for dinner is none of your business. If you keep allowing your representatives to criminalize behavior just because you feel it's inappropriate, how long do you think it'll be before they decide that something you do is inappropriate, and criminalize it?

As the old saying goes, freedom isn't free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates