U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 AM

812 posts, read 2,079,022 times

Advertisements

your cities and towns are not built for pedestrians and are not pedestrian friendly. sidewalks are not consistent and stores are too far away from housing areas. also it's not safe to walk too. LOL

you have too MANY restaurants and fast food chains that offer unhealthy choices that are the quikest and easiest like burgers. rarely do you see a regular grocer that will have an inexpensive salad bar to go etc.

asian grocers and restaurants have prepackaged lunches, snacks and dinners that are healthy but filling.

so it's infrastructure and food choices and unfriendly attitude toward humble walking pedestrians. LOL

if you are walking in america, it's like you are an outcast. also, as mentioned, it's dangerous to walk, at the least you will undoubtedly be harassed easily. this proves that america is not really friendly that's why you have to be locked up in the car and then run into the store where there's lots of cameras and witnesses. LOL

most americans can't walk along a street without the urge to harass, attack or insult someone so walking is out of fashion. americans are not humble and need unrealistic personal space that fits their unrealistic ego. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,013,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
your cities and towns are not built for pedestrians and are not pedestrian friendly. sidewalks are not consistent and stores are too far away from housing areas. also it's not safe to walk too. LOL

you have too MANY restaurants and fast food chains that offer unhealthy choices that are the quikest and easiest like burgers. rarely do you see a regular grocer that will have an inexpensive salad bar to go etc.

asian grocers and restaurants have prepackaged lunches, snacks and dinners that are healthy but filling.

so it's infrastructure and food choices and unfriendly attitude toward humble walking pedestrians. LOL

if you are walking in america, it's like you are an outcast. also, as mentioned, it's dangerous to walk, at the least you will undoubtedly be harassed easily. this proves that america is not really friendly that's why you have to be locked up in the car and then run into the store where there's lots of cameras and witnesses. LOL

most americans can't walk along a street without the urge to harass, attack or insult someone so walking is out of fashion. americans are not humble and need unrealistic personal space that fits their unrealistic ego. lol
most americans can't walk along a street without the urge to harass, attack or insult someone

Where do you get this stuff?

This is the most unbelievable bunch of crap I have read in a long time. Have you ever actually *been* to America, or are you just playing off of tired old steriotypes?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Then tax the s**t out of fast food....that's the least the government could do! Besides, I truly believe that if eating healthy were more affordable, more people would do it. It's not about regulating people's lives....if the revenue generated by those extra taxes went towards healthcare & prevention, I'd be all for it. In the US, fast food is just way too cheap and the temptation is too great...taxing it and hitting people in their wallets is the only way to combat this problem.

Parents have a duty to get their kids off their asses too, to exercise (not just play video games).

We live in a very car-centric society though....more emphasis should be put on walking and cycling, as opposed to driving.
Agree. I should have said "But I hesitate to use taxes...."

At the same time, obesity is becoming a big enough public health issue I that I think the govt does have an obligation to start to deal with it.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:22 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Agree. I should have said "But I hesitate to use taxes...."

At the same time, obesity is becoming a big enough public health issue I that I think the govt does have an obligation to start to deal with it.
Why the government?/?? every time they pass a law we lose a freedom...It is NOT the government's responsibility--it is ours. Individually. Independently. Why should the government step in for those people who can't handle their own [food] urges?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post

This is mostly true, with the exception of the Northeast. Boston, for example is a *very* walkable city, just as walkable as anywhere I've been to in Europe.

The rest is true though....most US cities are simply not designed for the pedestrian. It's a shame, because walking is great exercise, even if it's just walking to/from the train station every morning. Sure, many US cities have gyms on every corner, but not everyone wants to join a gym, nor do they wish to buy clunky exercise equipment.

Where I live (South Florida), eating right is a lot more of a challenge than I'm used to. There are fast food places everywhere and to eat well, Whole Foods is your best bet, but shopping there costs an arm and a leg.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Why the government?/?? every time they pass a law we lose a freedom...It is NOT the government's responsibility--it is ours. Individually. Independently. Why should the government step in for those people who can't handle their own [food] urges?
It is our responsibility. It is also the government's responsibility to promote general well-being.

I wasn't suggesting criminalizing anything...just using taxes.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It is our responsibility. It is also the government's responsibility to promote general well-being.

I wasn't suggesting criminalizing anything...just using taxes.
How about we just insist that food labels be put on food, and that we teach PE and health in our schools. Let's provide information and education. Restriction of people's freedoms is not ...um acceptable.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Why shouldn't the government step in? Isn't that partly what we pay them to do in the first place? Why shouldn't they tax the hell out of so-called "restaurants" that are making a fortune from selling food that is extremely bad for you and on top of that, extremely cheap? Besides, the tax revenue generated could go toward other things, such as healthcare.

People need to be educated better from day #1, when it comes to food. What you eat and how often you can make you ill.

I'd also like to see American cities take the initiative and make themselves more "walkable", even if this takes decades to achieve. We are far too car-centric, as a nation. If people were able to walk and cycle more (even just from point A to point B), it would make a huge difference. There are gyms everywhere, but 1) not everyone can afford monthly gym membership fees and 2) going to work out at a public gym is not everyone's cup of tea (certainly not mine).

Old 04-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
How about we just insist that food labels be put on food, and that we teach PE and health in our schools. Let's provide information and education. Restriction of people's freedoms is not ...um acceptable.
How is taxing fast/junk food items more heavily "restricting people's freedoms"?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM

The government has an obligation to set policies that promote the general well-being of its citizens.

Again....I'm not suggesting criminalizing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates