U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,721,588 times
Reputation: 1050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
It led to the founding of the US. It led to the creation of all the businesses we see. It led....to the largest number of people moving out of extreme poverty in the last ten years--THAN EVER BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD (per the United Nations' economists)

....well, never mind. If you don't want to take responsibility for yourself, it just makes things easier for me.
Yeah, fine.....300 years ago such ideals would have been more than workable. The world is a very different kettle of fish now though, largely due to technology and the fact that the human race has become increasingly dependent on it, in a world that continues to grow increasingly complex.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- individualism will work when the human race can figure out a way of peacefully co-existing and resisting the urge to be greedy.

...oh, and who are you to tell me that I'm not taking responsibility for myself? Do you realize how ridiculous you come across, when you make statements like that? Do you know me personally?

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 04-12-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Yeah, fine.....300 years ago such ideals would have been more than applicable.

Very different world now my good friend. The world is a much more complex place than it was when the US was founded, mostly due to technology.
People are still people. We haven't had very much evolution in 300 years.

Personal responsibility is the other side of the coin from freedom. If someone can't handle freedom, then maybe they should join a cult like Scientology or something.

To say that the concept of personal responsibility is being idealistic--then why is it one of the primary foci of U.S. Navy Seal training? Why is it the primary reason successful professionals are successful? Why is it the primary reason happy people are happy?

Yeah--we all had screwed up parents...but, EXCUSE ME, at some point our persoanal problems stop being their fault, and are our fault alone. Whether that happens at age 20 or age 30 -- at some point what we do and how we do it is OUR own responsibility. If someone is fat it is because they swallowed too many calories...simple.

To say it is "idealistic" to focus on personal responsibility is to also give way control of your own life to those around you who only care about making money off of you, or taking advantage of you in other ways. Personal responsibility is not JUST about eating. But eating too much and then blaming retail food outlets, government, society, car manufacturers, or side-walk constructors (yeah, someone above really said that) is just foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,721,588 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
People are still people. We haven't had very much evolution in 300 years.

Personal responsibility is the other side of the coin from freedom. If someone can't handle freedom, then maybe they should join a cult like Scientology or something.

To say that the concept of personal responsibility is being idealistic--then why is it one of the primary foci of U.S. Navy Seal training? Why is it the primary reason successful professionals are successful? Why is it the primary reason happy people are happy?

Yeah--we all had screwed up parents...but, EXCUSE ME, at some point our persoanal problems stop being their fault, and are our fault alone. Whether that happens at age 20 or age 30 -- at some point what we do and how we do it is OUR own responsibility. If someone is fat it is because they swallowed too many calories...simple.

To say it is "idealistic" to focus on personal responsibility is to also give way control of your own life to those around you who only care about making money off of you, or taking advantage of you in other ways. Personal responsibility is not JUST about eating. But eating too much and then blaming retail food outlets, government, society, car manufacturers, or side-walk constructors (yeah, someone above really said that) is just foolish.
I think the words "personal responsibility" have been taken way to far by people like you, to the point that you use them as a cure to all the nation's ills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I think the words "personal responsibility" have been taken way to far by people like you, to the point that you use them as a cure to all the nation's ills.
The word "all" is far too inclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
 
62 posts, read 104,664 times
Reputation: 61
Obesity in America has gotten pretty bad and there are many factors to it.

Not to offend, but let'sd be honest, VERY VERY few people are GENETICALLY predisposed to be obese of even overweight. At the same time though, it's highly unlikely that they cane get as skinny as a rail.

And honestly, the quality of American produce is pretty bad. With all of the chemical, pesticides and who-knows-what-else, what are we REALLY eating?

And of course, portion sizes are crazy and are MUCH larger than they were twenty years ago.

Just my opinion. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sis View Post
Obesity in America has gotten pretty bad and there are many factors to it.

Not to offend, but let'sd be honest, VERY VERY few people are GENETICALLY predisposed to be obese of even overweight. At the same time though, it's highly unlikely that they cane get as skinny as a rail.

And honestly, the quality of American produce is pretty bad. With all of the chemical, pesticides and who-knows-what-else, what are we REALLY eating?

And of course, portion sizes are crazy and are MUCH larger than they were twenty years ago.

Just my opinion. =)
I had an opinion, a while back. But all the other posters beat it out of me. Now, all I have are innane remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
Reputation: 2747
and thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Itz
 
714 posts, read 1,858,836 times
Reputation: 879
Obesity is a combination of educational failure, and personal responsibility.
Eating right takes a bit of knowledge.. Knowing the body should only consume around 1200-1500 calories a day (women - to loose weight) and knowing what to eat to feel full are two different things. Plus the ins and outs of nutrition... our schools and society do not educate people on what and when to eat..

We leave this up to our families..who consume processed foods at an alarming rate.. Look at the carts of people that are fit/thin and compare that to people who are fat and unhealthy.. HUGE difference..

self control is a huge factor as well... it doesn't take a genius to know that a greasy burger is full of calories and fat.. the ding dong at the super market aisle is full of calories and we ALL know those do not go with a healthy lifestyle.
Pop is a huge issue as well..
but put that into the "educational capacity"... there are people that believe that chicken nuggets are better then the huge burger... chicken nuggets because its a "leaner" meat - but FRIED in a deep fryer and full of FAT calories because of that...

Whos to blame: society as a whole. self control. Ignorance. education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Obesity is a combination of educational failure, and personal responsibility.
Eating right takes a bit of knowledge.. Knowing the body should only consume around 1200-1500 calories a day (women - to loose weight) and knowing what to eat to feel full are two different things. Plus the ins and outs of nutrition... our schools and society do not educate people on what and when to eat..

We leave this up to our families..who consume processed foods at an alarming rate.. Look at the carts of people that are fit/thin and compare that to people who are fat and unhealthy.. HUGE difference..

self control is a huge factor as well... it doesn't take a genius to know that a greasy burger is full of calories and fat.. the ding dong at the super market aisle is full of calories and we ALL know those do not go with a healthy lifestyle.
Pop is a huge issue as well..
but put that into the "educational capacity"... there are people that believe that chicken nuggets are better then the huge burger... chicken nuggets because its a "leaner" meat - but FRIED in a deep fryer and full of FAT calories because of that...

Whos to blame: society as a whole. self control. Ignorance. education.
But even with the societal factors--the obese person is responsible for what s/he swallowed in the way of calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,224,691 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is a new Japanese law requiring males to keep their waist lines below 33.5 inches and women to keep their waist lines under 35.4 inches.

Japanese Law
Yet smoking is still very common in Japan, which doesn't make sense if they are being health conscious. Perhaps this is so they don't have to add cars to their subway trains, the logistics of cramming 'x' number of sardines in the tin.

Smoking in Japan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top