U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:22 PM

528 posts, read 1,306,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sure, you can go to Whole foods and assume it's all more healthy than anything else, but there's plenty of cheap food that's healthy too. Plus, people eat such huge servings. Look at the size of Movie snacks. I can just as easily go to Jaycee's Market (the Mexican market in my neighborhood) and buy veggies, whole wheat pasta, black beans and other healthy items that are not processed for quite cheap. Heck, even the corner store next to my house sells boxes of Whole Wheat Linguini for just $1.25 a box, which can feed a family of four for a night.

The real reason why half this country is fat is laziness. Too lazy to find healthy alternatives, too lazy to cook, too lazy to exercise.
I'm certainly not going to defend lazy people - they are certainly out there. However, it's become an epidemic and with MILLIONS becoming obese, it's more than just laziness. Pure logic should tell you that. The thing is, we do not know the chemicals that are being put in our food - and it's very possible that these chemicals, after years in our system, change our physical make-up.

I'm sorry, but if my friend from Poland (all 105lbs of her when she first came here) has gained 20 lbs in two years of being here, it's not laziness. At least not all of it.

It just doesn't make any sense to just paint it with a broad brushstroke: LAZINESS. That is lazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,180,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sure, you can go to Whole foods and assume it's all more healthy than anything else, but there's plenty of cheap food that's healthy too. Plus, people eat such huge servings. Look at the size of Movie snacks. I can just as easily go to Jaycee's Market (the Mexican market in my neighborhood) and buy veggies, whole wheat pasta, black beans and other healthy items that are not processed for quite cheap. Heck, even the corner store next to my house sells boxes of Whole Wheat Linguini for just $1.25 a box, which can feed a family of four for a night.

The real reason why half this country is fat is laziness. Too lazy to find healthy alternatives, too lazy to cook, too lazy to exercise.
no, it's not just laziness, and while healthy food may be just as cheap as regular food, it IS harder to find for many people. not everyone has a Whole Foods close by. hell, there are neighborhoods that don't even have a regular supermarket nearby. many major chains will NOT open locations in iffy areas, and there are several low income area throughout the country that are "food deserts" where the only options are fast foods and supermarkets that provide low quality foods (I've been inside one smaller grocery store in an iffy area that didn't have whole wheat pasta, for example). sure, it's easy to just say "well, people should just go out and find a place that sells healthy foods!", but it's not that easy to choose whether to shop at the inexpensive place a mile away that has poor quality foods, or to go 10 miles further to the regular chain store that has more healthy options (or to go 50 miles away to the Whole Foods).

yes, there are lazy fat people out there, but then there are people who have limited options other than KFC and Mickey D's. unlike the mom'&'pop store you went to, the one near my house (and others I've been to in LI areas) did not have healthy foods, mainly acres of snacks for $1 or less (ie, Little Debbie's/Hostess snack cakes, bags of chips, and candy), along w/ miles of processed foods like Mac and Cheese, Ramen, and Spam, not to mention freezer sections more often filled w/ Stouffers, Hungry Man dinners, and ice cream as opposed to frozen fruits and Amy's frozen dinners. very few offer produce beside the lonely bunch of bananas or pricey bunch of apples

shoe4birds brings up a great point: even hard working people who move to America tend to suffer the eventual weight gain. it's a byproduct of the types of foods available and the fact the country is so industrialized. you no longer have to actually work for your food; now you can just drive up to a window and get handed a bag filled w/ juicy burgers and fries. not saying this happens to all immigrants to America, but it's easy to see just how much how diet and lifestyle differs from others. again, some of it may be laziness, but most of it is just the results of the typical 9-5 American lifestyle

Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,144,848 times
It also has a lot to do with portion control. Even all the mainstream diets around allow one to eat carbs and sugar, but limits the portions. There is no need to stuff one's face with 3 burgers just because they are dollar meals. Eat a burger and follow with an apple, not a big whopping milk shake!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,175,549 times
Some people on this thread seem really angry, judgmental and intolerant when it comes to overweight kids. (And overweight people in general!) WHY?

Where is all of the hate and contempt coming from? Why does it upset you so much? This thread seems like a "lynch mob" at times and it's spooky! (At least to me!)

Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times
I don't think it is my business to monitor what other people eat, how much exercise they get and what they weigh. I am responsible only to myself and my own children.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,493,744 times
Not sure if it's been said already: Disproportionate government subsidies of meats over fruits and vegetables. Being a vegetarian I know that it makes eating healthier more expensive than it has to be, turning a lot of people towards eating these unhealthy and one sided diets.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:25 AM

609 posts, read 1,043,538 times
Who is to blame? the culture of consumerism as well as "I gotta have the biggest and best". Overindulgence and quick fixes. How many infomercials do you see promising that in 2 weeks you'll lose 20 pounds??

also cheap unhealthy food and expensive fresh fruits and vegtables are to blame..

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Some people on this thread seem really angry, judgmental and intolerant when it comes to overweight kids. (And overweight people in general!) WHY?

Where is all of the hate and contempt coming from? Why does it upset you so much? This thread seems like a "lynch mob" at times and it's spooky! (At least to me!)
I doubt if it's anger ,certainly not hate, but more frustration over the attitude that it's the fault of anyone or anything other than ones own choices.
If it has to do with kids then it does mean not bringing them up with any idea of how to make sensible choices or even the benefits/dangers of those choices.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:47 AM

18,111 posts, read 16,453,088 times
Too much TV, video games, computers, corn syrup, fast food.
Not enough outdoor activities, competetive sports, concerned parents.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:18 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,996,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post

I could care less what an adult inhales as part of their diet. It's when they pass that on to their kids that bugs me. I'm sorry but I do not think it's fair to not only screw up your kid's health by letting them think it's ok to be a human garbage disposal because mom and dad are but it is also massively unfair to set them up for ridicule in school. Why would anyone want to do that to their children? Maybe I am crazy but I want my kids to not only be physically healthy but I also don't want them picked on in school for being the fat kid. It's just not fair to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates