U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,243,252 times

Advertisements

I blame fat people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,717,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I blame fat people.
Yep...it's the eater who is responsible for their own fatness. Thank you for supporting personal responsibility. Too few people take responsibility for themselves.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:50 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,176,988 times
Money is so tight right now, I just feel lucky to be able to eat at all. I'm sure that a lot of other people are in my same "boat" too.

Down the road, when I am better off financially, I can be more fussy about what I eat, and when I eat, etc.

Right now, I just feel lucky to have something to eat everyday!!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Yep...it's the eater who is responsible for their own fatness. Thank you for supporting personal responsibility. Too few people take responsibility for themselves.
Every single thing that is imperfect in America is a direct result of a breakdown and failure of Personal Responsibility. Now we can close all threads. No further discussion is necessary. No further social inquiry is necessary.

Q: "What's wrong with XYZ?"
A: "No Personal Respponsibility"

One answer fits all. We finally settle on the right answer, after 501 posts just spinning their wheels, talking about nonexistent things like greed and abuse of power and peer pressure.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,722,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I blame fat people.
I blame you, and people with your attitude.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,017,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Every single thing that is imperfect in America is a direct result of a breakdown and failure of Personal Responsibility. Now we can close all threads. No further discussion is necessary. No further social inquiry is necessary.

Q: "What's wrong with XYZ?"
A: "No Personal Respponsibility"

One answer fits all. We finally settle on the right answer, after 501 posts just spinning their wheels, talking about nonexistent things like greed and abuse of power and peer pressure.
So what is the reason for obesity then?

It seems like you know the right answers. Teach me, I would love to hear your opinion.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So what is the reason for obesity then?

It seems like you know the right answers. Teach me, I would love to hear your opinion.
Go back and read the 501 posts that preceded dcashley's. Don't ask me to summarize them all for you.

Some of them violated dcashley's rule, and actually suggested that there might be forces at work in our society above and beyond your fix-all solution of just blaming simple irresponsible batsards shoving junk into their faces.

Believe me---you don't want to hear my opinion, and neither does the moderator.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:17 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,017,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Go back and read the 501 posts that preceded dcashley's. Don't ask me to summarize them all for you.

Some of them violated dcashley's rule, and actually suggested that there might be forces at work in our society above and beyond your fix-all solution of just blaming simple irresponsible batsards shoving junk into their faces.

Believe me---you don't want to hear my opinion, and neither does the moderator.
I HAVE read the other posts. I also think the vast majority of people who dismiss personal responsibility are justifying laziness.

I don't expect anyone to solve my problems but myself. I don't see how that attitude doesn't apply to obesity.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

I don't expect anyone to solve my problems but myself. I don't see how that attitude doesn't apply to obesity.

In other words, if you are not obese, then national obesity is not a problem. If you are not unemployed, then job shrinkage is no problem. If you do not have any pre-existing conditions on your health insurance, there is no problem. If your identity has not been stolen, there is no problem. If you are not pregnant, there is no problem. If you are not jerked out of your life to be sent to Iraq to be either killed or mained or systematically abused by the VA for the rest of your life, there is no problem. If your kids are not bullied at school, there is no problem. IF you are not rendered to a third country to be tortured, there is no problem. If pirates do not board your ship, there is no problem. If your pension fund has not been stolen, there is no problem.

What a great American.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-07-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,722,866 times
I've posted on this subject in the exercise/health forum too, but I'll be glad to repeat myself...

For decades, the US has basked in the fast/junk food culture that it created, in which it was cool to eat the biggest, greasiest burgers and drive everywhere, even just 100 yards to the grocery store. We work far more hours than any European country, leaving us with far less time to spend with our families, to cook and to exercise properly.

Pills are not the answer, signing your soul away to a gym membership contract isn't the answer, nor are all those fake-ass con-diets out there. I've lived in both Paris and London and the best exercise I ever got was walking to/from the train station every day, cycling and only using the car when it was necessary. In the US, aside from the northeast, our cities have been built around mega-car-centricism, to serve the car and to make the pedestrian or the cyclist feel like a loser. Add to that, there are fast food joints on every corner and buying processed food at the grocery store is generally cheaper than a trip to Whole Foods, where a Swiss chard lettuce will cost you a mortgage (of course, this also depends on the state you live in).

So instead of just blaming the individual, blame society as a whole...blame the fast food, fast living, processed food culture that the United States has not only basked in for decades, but has become world famous for. If you realize this, you'll realize why obesity in America is such a big problem, no pun intended.

Remember, people are generally the products of their environments, which means that obesity in America isn't just the fault of individuals. I'm willing to hedge a bet that if at least 70% of the "obese" population in the US had been born in Italy or China, chances are, they wouldn't be obese at all.

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 05-07-2009 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates