U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 04:47 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,373,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In other words, if you are not obese, then national obesity is not a problem. If you are not unemployed, then job shrinkage is no problem. If you do not have any pre-existing conditions on your health insurance, there is no problem. If your identity has not been stolen, there is no problem. If you are not pregnant, there is no problem. If you are not jerked out of your life to be sent to Iraq to be either killed or mained or systematically abused by the VA for the rest of your life, there is no problem. If your kids are not bullied at school, there is no problem. IF you are not rendered to a third country to be tortured, there is no problem. If pirates do not board your ship, there is no problem. If your pension fund has not been stolen, there is no problem.

What a great American.
Well while I agree with your concept of people not empathizing with problems that they don't have.....

our military is hardly JERKED OUT OF THEIR LIVES.

It is a chosen profession in the USA. Not a draft. Unfortunately the professionals who feel that way forgot what the job entails. Other than the perks that is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,576,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Obviously, you have never struggled with your weight.
AMEN!!!

i LOVE how people get all high and mighty with this issue...and you can just picture them in their size 4 jeans...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 PM

I teach high school and I had a student last year and we had a conversation one day about her living in many other countries in her young life...and I asked her what the main difference is between living here and living in Europe, say. Know what her reply was? "Everyone in America is fat...and you know why? They just don't HAVE snacks and chips and soda and junk everywhere you turn like they do here. People just eat real food."...out of the mouths of babes...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
If you're fat and you do not have some kind of glandular or genetic problem that causes it, it is nobody's fault but yours. Exercise, proper diet and self control are pretty simple cures to obesity, so being obese is generally a result of laziness or lack of care.
OK, Lefty, so how do you explain all the naturally thin people who move to America from other countries and gain 40 pounds in a year????????? Huh? Huh?/ Can't wait to hear how all of a sudden maybe the air here made them lazy with no self control??? Sorry, but this kind of response makes me livid. So self-righteous.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
er claud you might want to change your meds, or at least watch less Oprah. ie please point us to "all the naturally thin people who move to America from other countries and gain 40 pounds in a year"

Is personal accountability really so hard for you to grasp? There is nothing "self-rightous" about it, it's simple logic really. Frankly you sound very young.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,514,836 times
Originally Posted by joey2000
Quote:
er claud you might want to change your meds, or at least watch less Oprah. ie please point us to "all the naturally thin people who move to America from other countries and gain 40 pounds in a year"

Is personal accountability really so hard for you to grasp? There is nothing "self-rightous" about it, it's simple logic really. Frankly you sound very young.
Well, the difference between Americans and Europeans is that American meat is more likely to be treated with growth hormones than those of Europe.
Here in Europe we maintain that growth hormones are dangerous to human health.
It might be that digesting meat treated with growth hormones increases the chance to become inflicted with obesity and this might explain why naturally thin people who move to America easily gain 40 pounds in a year?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
Interesting point, Tricky D, but I think the over-riding factor is the quantity of highly-processed, calorie-laden, pseudo-foods that we Americans consume on a regular basis. I do concur that growth hormones are a problem, though, especially because they have been implicated in rise of young girls experiencing very early menarche (< 12 years of age).

Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,514,836 times
Originally Posted by formercalifornian
Quote:
I do concur that growth hormones are a problem, though, especially because they have been implicated in rise of young girls experiencing very early menarche (< 12 years of age).
I guess many (former East) German female athletes suffered far worse for being treated with illegal substances without their knowledge and consent to perform better at the Olympics. Many young women became infertile and some even gained an Adam’s apple from the testosterone they were treated with.
I guess this perfectly explains why, especially, Germany is against meat treated with growth hormones.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
The main difference between the USA and European countries in this regard, is that in Europe, the big for-profit corporations are not allowed carte-blanche to write whatever regulatory laws suit their economic marketing objectives.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:13 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,588 times
Also, US foods are laden with hugh fructose corn syrup, unlike Europe. HFCS has been proven to cause obesity and it's worse for you than sugar itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates