U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The main difference between the USA and European countries in this regard, is that in Europe, the big for-profit corporations are not allowed carte-blanche to write whatever regulatory laws suit their economic marketing objectives.
Too true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 AM

...oh and of course, we have the world's most expensive healthcare system, meaning that even preventive medicine, regular screenings is unaffordable for millions of Americans.

Come to think of it, a lot of corporations have got rich on the obesity problem, from fast food giant to pharmaceuticals to insurance companies.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Originally Posted by BCreass
Quote:
...oh and of course, we have the world's most expensive healthcare system, meaning that even preventive medicine, regular screenings is unaffordable for millions of Americans.
I thought I always was kinda paranoid when it comes to big American corporations, but I guess you ain't really paranoid when they really are out to get you.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Newscaster Edward R. Murrow was a notorious hypochondriac. One day he was sitting at his typewriter coughing and sniffling and groaning, and co-workers were rolling their eyes. He looked up and said "Hypochondriacs get sick, too, you know".

Old 05-10-2009, 07:07 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
It might be that digesting meat treated with growth hormones increases the chance to become inflicted with obesity and this might explain why naturally thin people who move to America easily gain 40 pounds in a year?
Do you have any evidence showing growth hormones linked to obesity, not to mention thin Europeans moving to America and packing on 40 lbs (or anything near it) in a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The main difference between the USA and European countries in this regard, is that in Europe, the big for-profit corporations are not allowed carte-blanche to write whatever regulatory laws suit their economic marketing objectives.
Last time I checked "big corporations" aren't allowed either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Also, US foods are laden with hugh fructose corn syrup, unlike Europe. HFCS has been proven to cause obesity and it's worse for you than sugar itself.
I don't necessarily disagree but do you have any evidence in that regard? I know some foods have this, but you make it sound a lot more common than I suspect it is.

PS I am not defending big corp's or implying America's mass food production is a perfect picture of health FYI. But I am also thinking much of this is more deflecting of personal accountability. There ARE food labels and you CAN mostly if not entirely avoid foods with high sugar content, growth hormones etc.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Do you have any evidence showing growth hormones linked to obesity, not to mention thin Europeans moving to America and packing on 40 lbs (or anything near it) in a year?

Last time I checked "big corporations" aren't allowed either.

I don't necessarily disagree but do you have any evidence in that regard? I know some foods have this, but you make it sound a lot more common than I suspect it is.

PS I am not defending big corp's or implying America's mass food production is a perfect picture of health FYI. But I am also thinking much of this is more deflecting of personal accountability. There ARE food labels and you CAN mostly if not entirely avoid foods with high sugar content, growth hormones etc.
Have you heard about Cheney's "closed door" meting with oil companies, to formulate energy policy? Do you think the food processors lobby has anything to do with the fact that nutrition labeling in the USA is less strict and comprehensive than Mexico? Mexican product labeling is required to break down oils and fats into four saturation subcategories, whereas in the US, where only saturated- and trans- are specified.

You can find out yourself how common HFCS is in American foods in 60 seconds by reading the labels of a dozen random products off the shelf in any supermarket, without asking another poster to do it for you. A product containing "sugar" is hard to find. In fact, it is big national news that one of the soft drink companies is actually test-marketing a limited line of a product that contains sugar instead of HFCS.

The biggest and most relevant lie that US product labeling allows is the "average serving". Remember the hooferaw when a cola company printed labels on cans that described an average serving as a half a can?

Case in point. I have a can of baking powder in front of me. Baking powder is high in sodium. The can describes an average serving as 1/8 of a teaspoon. There is a biscuit recipe right on the same can, that says 2 tsp of baking powder for a cup of flour. That means an average serving uses 1/16 of a cup of flour. About a half a biscuit. The can says 473 servings per can. Imagine serving biscuits and gravy to 473 people and using only one small can of baking powder and 30 pounds of flour.

An average serving of bread is one slice. How many do you use in a sandwich? A small can of corn serves 3.5. Yeah, right.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-10-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Originally Posted by joey2000
Quote:
Nope nor do I care to find it.

BTW isn't it a fact that America is the #1 country in the world with the highest obesity rate?
And are you denying that American corporations treat their meat with growth hormones?

The only thing I know for sure is that Europe stopped importing American meat treated with growth hormones and that European meat isn't treated with growth hormones.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
BTW isn't it a fact that America is the #1 country in the world with the highest obesity rate?
No. We are behind Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon and Panama. We'd probably be number one, but we have all those relatively thin Mexicans lowering our average.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

Actually, this isn't as easy as you might think. Buy any processed food & drink in a supermarket, fast food or even some of the so-called "healthy" foods and you'll find they're laden with this garbage. Unfortunately, the HFCS-free foods are generally more expensive, meaning that it's those on lower incomes who often have little choice but to consume this poison.

Too Much Fructose Could Leave Dieters Sugar Shocked

Of course, if you don't believe me, just take a trip to your local supermarket and read the ingredients on the back of such items, including ketchup.

There is also plenty of evidence out there indicating a direct link with obesity (I can find a few links for you, but it'd be just as easy for you to Google it yourself). HFCS is worse for you than sugar itself, especially in soft drinks.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 Nope nor do I care to find it.

And are you denying that American corporations treat their meat with growth hormones?

The only thing I know for sure is that Europe stopped importing American meat treated with growth hormones and that European meat isn't treated with growth hormones.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Tricky D again"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates