U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 11:58 AM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why is it so hard for the food marketing industries and lobbyists and media advertisers to admit that they have been lying to the public about nutrition for their own profit?

Do you see a general trend of human nature here? You can disprove my point by listing all your own personal irresponsibilities, but I bet you won't. Because it's hard to do. Human nature.
If you already know that they lie, why should you continue to blame them. Once you know that advertising largly is lies, you are then responsible for your decisions. I don't understand why people are so willing to give away control of their lives to 1) advertising, 2) marketeers 3) government 4) anything else.

The person eats to much, they get fat. Nobody forced them to swallow the extra calories.
The anorexic eats too little, they get dead. Nobody forced them to starve.

Each is responsible for their own lives. Why do people so easily give that away to others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
If you already know that they lie, why should you continue to blame them. Once you know that advertising largly is lies, you are then responsible for your decisions. I don't understand why people are so willing to give away control of their lives to 1) advertising, 2) marketeers 3) government 4) anything else.

The person eats to much, they get fat. Nobody forced them to swallow the extra calories.
The anorexic eats too little, they get dead. Nobody forced them to starve.

Each is responsible for their own lives. Why do people so easily give that away to others?
I know that advertising is lies, and I'm not overweight. But the reason companies spend billions doing it is because so many other people do NOT know that it is all lies.

People who lie always bear part of the responsibility for the behavior of the people they lie to. And lying always works on some people, otherwise nobody would bother to lie.

It is very easy to just say "if everybody was as smart as I am, there would be no problems". But guess what? There ARE problems, because not everybody is as smart as you are. What contribution have you just made to solving the problem? Or, do you think the smart people among us have no responsibility for solving any of our problems, except to just smugly sit back and say "I told you so"?

The collective intelligence of a community is what solves probelems, and you ARE the problem if the only good use you can think of for your intelligence is to say "Oh, I am so smart".

Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,329,385 times
Ultimately, we are all accountable for ourselves. Let's stop blaming others and take responsibility. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that sugar is bad for us. That sugar is in virtually all processed foods. Why? The Sugar Lobby / Industry wants it so. Big bucks! And tobacco? Don't get me started...

And stop looking for "fair" laws. Laws, other than strictly safety measures, are made to get some group something they want that they don't yet have. And even safety measures are suspect.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I know that advertising is lies, and I'm not overweight. But the reason companies spend billions doing it is because so many other people do NOT know that it is all lies.
Anyone who lives here for more than a month and doesn't know it is all lies is dumber than a bag of hammers.

Quote:
People who lie always bear part of the responsibility for the behavior of the people they lie to. .
I prefer to sustain 100% of the responsibility for the outcomes that I experience in my life. Allowing anyone to reduce that percentage gives away something that is intrinsically mine. If other people choose to not take responsibility because they think that is easier are making THEIR choice to think that they don't have personal responsibility.

Quote:
It is very easy to just say "if everybody was as smart as I am, there would be no problems". But guess what? There ARE problems, because not everybody is as smart as you are. What contribution have you just made to solving the problem? Or, do you think the smart people among us have no responsibility for solving any of our problems, except to just smugly sit back and say "I told you so"?
I fail to see how this contributes to the discussion.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post

I fail to see how this contributes to the discussion.
The point is that I failed to see how you patting yourself on the back contributed to the discussion. An egotism and narcissism of yours that you stated that you take 100% of the responsibility for, so I can't blame that on anyone else.

"I'm in God's heaven, all's right with the world".

Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM

7,676 posts, read 18,905,816 times
Fat People. Plain and simple.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The point is that I failed to see how you patting yourself on the back contributed to the discussion. An egotism and narcissism of yours that you stated that you take 100% of the responsibility for, so I can't blame that on anyone else.

"I'm in God's heaven, all's right with the world".
Yep. You're right. I have a problem with humility...I've tried working on that -- maybe someday I'll be better.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Originally Posted by hnsq
Quote:
You have to be a chemist to read a book on nutrition?
No, but I would have to be a chemist to understand what I'm eating.
And I would have to be a biologist to understand how it will affect me.
Modern food isn't as simple as say a century ago.
Nowadays our food even is genetically manipulated.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM

443 posts, read 1,070,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Almost all high schools have eliminated home economics. As such, while our schools are so busy teaching how to be a homosexual

Old 05-11-2009, 03:58 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,329,385 times
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET
Almost all high schools have eliminated home economics. As such, while our schools are so busy teaching how to be a homosexual [End Quote]

WTF? That might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard were it not for that other nut on another thread spouting off aqbout sex with monkeys as one of the main reasons AIDs has been so prolific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates