U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 05:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,520,729 times

Advertisements

I think that we all have a choice as to what lifestyle we want to live. Granted with all the fast food and restaurants out there which add to temptation, it makes it hard. Still.. we decide what we eat and don't, and whether or not to exercise or not.

We also decide whether or not our kids are going to sit on their behinds playing video games or texting all the time, or go outside and play.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,397,399 times
I'm responsible for what I put in my mouth and I'd like to keep it that way.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,717,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm responsible for what I put in my mouth and I'd like to keep it that way.
YAY--another voice for personal responsibility!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,723,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Peiole are fat because they swallow too many calories. It is their own responsibikity--noboy makes them over eat. They know better, they just choose to do what they want instead of what they should.
At a guess, I'd say that 1) you've never struggled with obesity and 2) you don't know anyone who has struggled with obesity.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 PM

343 posts, read 1,232,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
At a guess, I'd say that 1) you've never struggled with obesity and 2) you don't know anyone who has struggled with obesity.

The reality is that Americans eat way to many calories. Alot of people who are overweight simply need to just eat less then they currently do and add a little exercise into their regime.

For crying out loud one meal at macdonalds is almost more calories then any woman needs in a day.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,723,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
The reality is that Americans eat way to many calories. Alot of people who are overweight simply need to just eat less then they currently do and add a little exercise into their regime.

For crying out loud one meal at macdonalds is almost more calories then any woman needs in a day.
Just Google "High Fructose Corn Starch" and the proven links to obesity. That crap is pumped into many of our foods, especially foods that are "affordable" for the poor/working class. Also, aside from certain parts of the northeast that are far more progressive, most American cities are littered with disgusting fast food chains on every corner and most of our cities are about as pedestrian/cyclist unfriendly as you can get. Add all that to the fact that our fast food/bigger portions/lazy-a** car culture has been portrayed as "cool" for decades, so therefore, a national obesity problem is the end result (it hardly takes a brain surgeon to figure that one out).

You can scream "personal responsibility" all you like, but like it or not, most people are nothing but a product of the culture and the environment in which they live in.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Neither one is true....but thank you for the compliments.. (I like it when people think I'm thin.) Regardless of any illness or mental disease one may have--it is still their responsibility. Perhaps it is not their "fault," but it IS their responsibility.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM

32,810 posts, read 30,061,070 times
Bottom line is if someone is ok with being obese, so be it. I will never be obese so I don't care if someone else weighs a ton. Just make sure you are ahead of them at the chow line.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Bottom line is if someone is ok with being obese, so be it. I will never be obese so I don't care if someone else weighs a ton. Just make sure you are ahead of them at the chow line.

...and NOT next to them on an airplane!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,776,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I respectfully disagree.

You have $50 to feed a family of 4 for a week.

It is almost impossible NOT to buy junk filler foods to ensure everyone is fed.

You just can't buy organics/fresh foods/lean meats on that little and get everyone fed.
You're going from one extreme to the other. They don't have to buy fresh organic veggies to do better than food with junk fillers. How about the way poor people used to do it? Rice, beans, some cheap (not organic) ground beef? Veggies which are cheaper b/c they are in season, etc.

You can eat healthy foods for less than pre-packaged. You just have to work harder to do it, and it takes longer to prepare.

And most poor people aren't eating one $1 burger off the dollar menu for dinner. There are a lot of fat people out there who are claiming they can't afford to eat healthy. It's not cheap to get fat--that's a lot of food. One burger each meal won't make you fat. $5-$10 worth of McDonalds each meal will make you fat, but then you could have a good homemade healthy meal for $5-$10. It's a choice. It's a lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates