U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,181,354 times

Advertisements

I was "chubby" in grade school. Some of the kids at my school did make fun of me, and they singled me out as their "target." (In mean and "heartless" ways.)

The kids who "attacked" me didn't come from loving or "emotionally-healthy" homes. Obviously, their parents didn't bother to teach them manners, or respect for others.

My parents never let me make fun of other kids. (For any reason!) They were always quick to say: "Stop it! Don't be mean! It's not nice to ridicule or belittle other people. What makes you think that you are so perfect yourself???"

I'm grateful that my parents taught me "right" from "wrong" when it comes to showing respect for others.

Maybe it's time to look at a "larger picture" when it comes to all of the "shaming" and "blaming"....and prejudice and intolerance that takes place in our country today.

Instead of "attacking" overweight kids (and their parents)...maybe we should look at why some kids (and their parents) act like "mean-spirited bullies." (Who "get-off" on putting others "down.")

None of us will ever be "perfect." We all have so-called "flaws" in one area or another. I'm "thin" today....but this still doesn't make me "perfect."

Being "heavy" as a child was a "blessing in disguise" because it taught me that we all have "feelings." It taught me to be "careful" about what I say to others, and "careful" in the way that I treat other people. I never want to be a "bully!" I don't want to go around hurting other people's feelings in "mean ways." (Like kids "hurt" me when I was young!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,200,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
People complain about illegal immigration and the war ( and they should that war costs a fortune) but less is said about obesity and smoking both costing us hundreds of millions each year. Instead we see spin BBW - that's like a nice Nazi - there are very few. Fat is fat - and the Beach Boys used to sing about California and American girls being the prettiest. Sorry not any more and anyone who has gone to Costa Rica, Venezuela, Philippines or anywhere cept Germany which is almost as fat, knows we don't stack up. Even worse is when some huge woman blocks you from the buffet line even though she's still chewing from her last three plates. No double standard here fat males are also gross. I love to eat but have to work out an hr a day. 5'10 174 ( ok 175 after lunch today lol) Texas is the worst of the worst - fattest state. Thinner women here have it really easy finding guys. I still believe in a FAT tax- tax people by what they consume -not how hard they work.
I noticed this in Hawaii, people are in great shape, they eat seafood, none of the garbage that (in the state I currently reside, lol, but temporarily). A recent study on CNN stated that VT is the healthiest, and Huntington WV, the most obese. It is no wonder as these people eat Bojangles chicken, pork rinds, etc.

I have never seen anything this bad, I just cant believe people act like its normal, their kid at age 18 has high blood pressure and weighs 300 lbs... .

Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM

42,283 posts, read 49,847,621 times
The attacks may seem mean-spirited, but just like smokers and alcoholics/drug abusers, obesity is going to cost this society a lot of money in terms of health care/lost work days/etc. And like the above, 90% of the time, it's totally avoidable.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,529,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I think a part of it is the lack of movement in our society. We can drive everywhere and don't really have a need to walk. We hire people to do our labor like cleaning and moving. Also I know in my case now I work from home. I don't even have to get dressed or go anywhere. I just roll out of bed and turn my laptop on and plop myself on the couch. A lot of days I'm so busy, I don't even move for 8 hours straight. I literally now have to remind myself to walk around, do some stretches and jumping jacks during the day.

While technology has made our lives easier, they have been our demise also.
Well, who knows. With the economy being the way it is, people may have to move around a little more, eat a little less. I think our society has gotten way too fat and comfortable in a LOT of ways. Let's see how we do when the belt is tightened!

(I say this as I'm trying on my new boots that just arrived in the mail!)

Old 11-19-2008, 01:50 PM

42,283 posts, read 49,847,621 times
Btw, you can totally eat healthy on the cheap.

Cheap dinner for 4 (each of below per person):

1/4 lb organic (what a scam) chicken breast
One cup broccoli
One cup lentil soup
One half apple
One glass of skim milk

Entire family fed dinner for less than $10.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
people eat to keep their spirits up and to keep their energy up.
overwork and mean streets makes people fat. dog eat dog does not produce pretty people it produces scarred up ugly pit bulls.
if its a choice between family and work and excercise, plan c will lose everytime. for a lot of old people they been around the track too many times trying to pass the baton no takers. kidults are just not ready. 50% of americans work and boy do they. where the baby boomers go, so follows the light.
1 in 3 is obese
1 in 4 kids is obese
in france its 1 in 10.
why???--- slower pace in france.
we been on steroids and vitamins and tylenol long we think its normal.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Btw, you can totally eat healthy on the cheap.

Cheap dinner for 4 (each of below per person):

1/4 lb organic (what a scam) chicken breast
One cup broccoli
One cup lentil soup
One half apple
One glass of skim milk

Entire family fed dinner for less than $10.
For certain, you can make healthy soups at home, salads, etc. If you cant afford organic, you can still eat more vegetables, IMO Americans eat too much red meat, in the area I am in now they eat pork like its a staple (Ugh-)

There is a nice organic EarthFare nearby, and they have healthy alternatives; Its a combination of personlal responsibility and altering bad habits, I just see such garbage people buy for their kids, its really disgusting.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Money? Is that all that matters in this world anymore? What happened to caring and compassion? Some of our political leaders sure know how to manipulate us and "ruffle our feathers" when they start talking about money, and having to share some of our money with others! These are all "divide and conquer" techniques designed to keep us on opposite sides of the fence....and at "each other's throats!" I don't buy into any of it.

It was always hard for me to understand why some of the "popular" kids in high school (who seemed to "have it all")...ended up picking on other kids. They took "pot-shots" at kids that they considered "fat" or "poor"...or the so-called "nerds" in their classes.

When I read some of the posts in this thread, I feel like I am back in high-school again. Some people feel perfectly justified in calling "heavy" people "lazy," "gross" and other derogatory names. (Without feeling one bit guilty about what they are saying!!) Talk about being arrogant & self-righteous!!

Why isn't it enough that you are thin yourself? Why do you need to make "heavier" people your scapegoats? None of this makes any sense to me at all....Just like I never understood why the "popular kids" in high school went looking for scapegoats. Why weren't they happier? Maybe they had wealth and material possessions...but very little "love" in their homes. And, they definitely weren't taught "manners" and this is sad.

Last edited by CArizona; 11-19-2008 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 04:07 PM

In our dealings and interactions with other people, we can put out "shame" and "blame," or we can come from a place of caring and compassion. (The choice belongs to us!)

When we go around "shaming" and "blaming" others, there may be retaliation, especially if the people we "attack" don't feel that our "attacks" are fair or warranted....

As in: "What's going on? I didn't do anything to you, why are you attacking me, and calling me names? Who made you 'God' and judge and jury of everyone else?"

Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 PM

This thread is about health issues.

People don't seem eductaed on what they feed their kids, and American obesity is an epidemic. Its a disease, its not about who's the prom queen, its so much more than that; Its about constructive criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates