Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,376,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
You're going from one extreme to the other. They don't have to buy fresh organic veggies to do better than food with junk fillers. How about the way poor people used to do it? Rice, beans, some cheap (not organic) ground beef? Veggies which are cheaper b/c they are in season, etc.

You can eat healthy foods for less than pre-packaged. You just have to work harder to do it, and it takes longer to prepare.

And most poor people aren't eating one $1 burger off the dollar menu for dinner. There are a lot of fat people out there who are claiming they can't afford to eat healthy. It's not cheap to get fat--that's a lot of food. One burger each meal won't make you fat. $5-$10 worth of McDonalds each meal will make you fat, but then you could have a good homemade healthy meal for $5-$10. It's a choice. It's a lifestyle.
Thank you for your recognition of personal choice and personal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM

327 posts, read 752,384 times
Most people simply need to stop overeating and exercise more.

I was fairly poor growing up, as were most the kids in my neighborhood. Most all of us were either skinny or at least average in body weight. We usually spent 1-3 hours a day outside doing various outdoor activities, and none of us ever ate any fancy organic food.

Too many kids these days spend too much time in front of the Xbox munching away on chips and drinking sodas. There would be nothing wrong with that (in moderation) if it were evenly balanced with some type of physical activity, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Those of us who aren't so young anymore need to realize that the eating habits we had when we were younger might not be such a good idea today. Certain things slow down, less time is available to go outside and toss a ball around, and the old gut keeps getting farther and farther out there.

It now takes effort and work to maintain a healthy body weight, which is something a lot of us don't like. I learned that the hard way after ballooning up to 250 at 6`1, before I decided to do something about it. I'm now 6`1 and 170 pounds. It was hard for me to accept that fact that The Red Barron, Blue Bell, and Chips O Hoy weren't my friends anymore (at least not the way they used to be), but something had to be done

Less consumption of crap + making an effort to exercise worked like a charm.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,413,550 times
I feel the State, and the people themselves are to blame. Nobody forces double quarter pounders with cheese and bacon with onion rings down their throat. And the whole glandular excuse is bull.

If someone likes to eat and sit on their ever expanding behinds well then there are going to be fat.

Then their knees go from supporting their colossal girth, they have hypertension, diabetes the list goes on and on. And what does the State do? They tell them it's not their fault they are handicapped and they give them stickers SO THEY CAN PARK CLOSER TO THE FOOD!!!!! I don't get it. They should do just the opposite. They should have to park at the far end of the parking lot and walk.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:54 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,309,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
...and NOT next to them on an airplane!
Argh, that's the worst!

United Airlines has just implemented a tough policy for fat people: If you're too big to fit in a coach seat on a full plane, you'll have to pay for a first-class seat or two adjacent coach seats. And if those options are sold out, you'll be bumped from the flight.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Has anyone sat next to someone big on the subway especially in the summer. Their hot sweaty thigh oozing over their seat and into yours touching your leg. Their labored breathing pumping more hot air into the subway car, uuggghhhh.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,982,237 times
Default There are as many reasons as there are big people

Big, fat, obese...whatever you want to call someone, they are that way for some unique reason.

Sure, many simply don't take care of themselves, and can solve their problem with some self-control.

But, there are many others that have something going on in their lives that make them that way.

Some deal with depression, or other crisis', by eating. Just like others may deal with problems by drinking, doing drugs, or abusing other people.

I became friends with a big guy many years ago. And, he had an ongoing crisis in his life - A sick relative, that he dedicated himself to take care of. And, I learned to respect him for this.

It's not that he used eating for an escape...He actually could not leave the house, as he was taking care of someone that needed attention 24 hours a day.

So, he ended up getting very big- as the only outlet available to him was eating, and sitting around the house.

Part of it was probably depression - of his situation...The sadness of a sick loved one, and his taking on the responsibility of caring for them. He sacrificed his life for them.

And, as far as his getting help from Medicare...Yeah, he got some help, a few hours each week. And he used that free time to go shopping, going to the doctor, and any other basic neccessity. Certainly not to go out to play golf...

So, it is unfair to generalize why people are the way they are. Often it is for some truly sad (and even tragic) reason.

And today, I look at big people differently.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Can you really say that "often" this is the case. So you're saying the lady who's pounding fries like it's meth and washing them down with a bucket of coke is really a totally altruistic person and I should feel bad for them? Listen I was a little chunky in my time and one day I woke up and said uuugghhh I'm disgusting. And I dropped 55lbs. You know why I gained weight? My dog didn't get run over, I wasn't dedicating myself to charity I was stuffing my face. Period. So I stopped. And I don't want to hear how tough it is. If I can do it so can anyone else. There is nothing special about me, my metabolism isn't high or anything.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 PM

And another thing I really don't think it's the size but the attitude of these people. They feel everyone should make concessions for them because they can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar. It's total BS. Nevermind the cost to taxpayers from healthcare for people who are too "disabled" to work.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,439,276 times
Other than some medical problems we are obese because we simply eat too much...the food pyramid recommendations for a day could feed 2 people. Plus it is not "fashionable" to walk anymore...many cities are not pedestrian friendly and this has exasberrated the problem along with lack of respect for pedestrians and cyclists, etc. And people are simply getting lazier, they'll drive a block or two rather than walk to a store.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,274,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
When we eat out at a restaurant, I make sure that my daughter saves half of her meal for the next day. I know that kid's meals are supposed to be portioned properly but with all the fat and calories that these types of meals contain, I feel it is best to divide up the food. I allow her drink a fun drink like a strawberry lemonade or something like that but no coke. She can have Sprite but no Coke. I think that parents have to be honest with their kids about food today and if they eat fast food or whatever all the time then they may not be fat now but they will be fat later!

Why do you think Sprite is better than Coke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates