U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 07:44 PM

753 posts, read 2,164,690 times

Advertisements

People are fat because they choose to be. It's that simple.

Everyone knoe what they should and should not be eating to be thin, and that they should get exercise daily. If people want to get fat and die of a heart attack I really don't care. But I think it is child abuse to see fat kids! I'm not talking about a kid who is a little over weight, I'm talking obese. If not giving them enough food is abuse, it should also be abuse to give them way too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,567,429 times
Although some folks have health conditions that make them more susceptible to excessive body mass, obesity is mostly caused by a folks lack of will power when it comes to food as well as sedentary lifestyles. I do think some of the blame is the abundance of over processed foods that is available but who is forcing people to consume that stuff?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,950,698 times
You see right there are at least two reasons that these people feel it's ok. We've told them it's not their fault, they have a disease. You know what a disease is? Ebola, Ebola is a disease. Thyphoid is a disease. Fat is not a disease. Stuffing your face because YOU WANT TO is not a disease.

And I agree with the other poster about the kids. These kids are walking heart attacks. And it can all be prevented. What these people are doing to their children is criminal.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
Obesity in America has a few different angles in it. All of them are really our fault for not being more informed / less lazy, but I digress.

So, the dimensions are, so far as I can tell: 1) a culture based on convenience, 2) inactivity and eating wrong, 3) the food companies and our unwillingness to educate ourselves about what they do.

In detail:
1) I think we can all guess at least our culture of convenience has created a situation where we have so much food and so much calorie consumption and giving in to our desires that we've built on it to this point an excessive syndrome of driving + inactivity. Also, we tend to overeat.
2) Inactivity. All this emphasis on driving EVERYWHERE has gotten out of control. For God's sake, DON'T DRIVE if you gotta walk less than a mile to the store, or wherever you're going. You were born with legs - use them, fatty. Oh, and if you are more than 20 lb overweight, guess what? YOU'RE OBESE TO THE REST OF THE WORLD!
3) Food companies have so much refined foods, processed ingredients, and sugars in the foods that it is outright a sin.

High Fructose Corn Syrup - proven by multiple scientific articles to absorb faster into the body than regular sugar and more efficiently. This substance has been banned in civilized countries, but the USA has bent to the will of the sugar and corn lobbies. Huzzah.

Sucralose / Equal / Sugar Substitutes: Also been banned in a number of countries. Reason? It contributes to brain cancer. The cure is worse than the disease. Seriously, stop drinking diet soda. In fact just stop drinking soda altogether. Drink 2 liters of water a day minimum.

Bleached Wheat flour - present in nearly all breads in the supermarket, but is totally worthless in terms of dietary intake. Just empty calories ... like breadding for pidgeons, which is what most consumers are.

I could keep going on, but I highly recommend people actually pay attention to what they eat. By adjusting my eating habits and exercising more I've lost more then 30 lb and am building muscle mass and actually getting slim. Like how humans should be. Not tubs of lard.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why don't we just stop paying their medical bills now? Why can't everyone just pay their own way?
Because everyone can't afford it - INCLUDING those who work hard and are willing to do whatever they can to get it. I wish it was that simple and believe me I'm NO fan of Obama's health plan ideas, but in fairness it's just not that simple either way.

Quote:
Get the government out of the health care issue and the problem is solved.
oh if only.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
You see right there are at least two reasons that these people feel it's ok. We've told them it's not their fault, they have a disease. You know what a disease is? Ebola, Ebola is a disease. Thyphoid is a disease. Fat is not a disease. Stuffing your face because YOU WANT TO is not a disease.
Nor is drinking booze or doing drugs. Somebody gets it. Thank you.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 AM

530 posts, read 568,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Nor is drinking booze or doing drugs. Somebody gets it. Thank you.
Thank you, a few people do get it. People want an easy out. No one wants to take personal responsibility. We all know what we should and should not ingest into our bodies. And yes if you do drugs or are a sot, that is your fault. As far as over weight children go, i think that aside from medical reasons, it is child abuse. Children can't buy food for themselves, also if you let them they would never eat anything healthy.
People in this country for what ever reason seem to negate personal reponsiblity. Well boo hoo for you that your mom didn't hug you enough, what does that have to do with the big mac your shoving in your pie hole?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,805,127 times
I don't have the exact numbers to back me up on this, but I'd imagine most who're obese don't have thyroid problems, nor or are they on doctor- prescribed steroids. I could be wrong about that, but I doubt it.

I think we develop bad eating habits at a young age. We can usually get away with it as a teen or young adult, so long as we're pretty active. Problem is, we keep these same habits as we get older to go along with our cushion jobs and less than active lifestyles, then the pounds start to add up.

It's hard to drop habits you've possibly had for decades. But it can be done. The reason most people don't do it is, well, as I said, because it's hard. Most of us don't like stuff that's hard. We want a magic pill to solve the problem, and we want it now!

I'm saying this as someone who has lost around 80-90 pounds. From 250 (at 6`1) to a current 170. I'd like to get down to the lower 160s.

I can't say I have zero sympathy for obese people who're at least trying to lose weight, just because I personally know how damn hard it is. That and I don't really like self-righteous, judgmental a-holes, so I try not to be one.

The best thing you can do is to not let yourself get fat in the first place, and, if you have kids, teach them good eating habits at a young age.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
People are fat because they choose to be. It's that simple.
But that still leaves a question that is not so simple. Why do people in the USA (and Panama and Qatar) CHOOSE to be fat, when people in other countries (like Canada) choose not to be? Or why do so many more Americans have thyroid problems than Canadians?

If you ask somebody why they did something and the best reply you can get is "Because I wanted to", how old do you expect that child to be?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-25-2009 at 08:43 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM

8,797 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So I should pay extra money in taxes because people can't control themselves?

How does that make sense?
Who's picking up the tab for everthing associated with; Drugs, Alcohol, and Tobacco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates