U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Doesn't help when stores, food carts, vendomats, etc.,.. charge MORE for the healthier items.
Why not charge more for the fattening foods instead ???
They charge more for fruit, vegetables, grains and lean meats? Or they charge more for Snackwells vs. Oreos? Don't buy packaged, convenience cr@p and you'll save a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM

10,296 posts, read 9,970,295 times
As for the sleep thing: if your genetics allow for ten minutes of sleep per night, fine. But for the 'normal' person, if you're sleeping 3 or 4 or 5 hours per night, you are not doing your body good at all. Simple as that. And I've never understood how the same people can be so militant about exercise. Proper sleep is probably more important for your body. And for those of you who say, 'Oh yeah, well I get forty-five minutes of sleep per night and I'm fine,' nobody is saying you can't do it. Just that you probably shouldn't. It's the same as me saying that I can get by for five years with absolutely no exercise. Of course I can, that's not the point. The point is, is that good for my body? Itís like me saying that Iíve lived on Big Macs for the past five years. Sure I can do that. We can do all kinds of things, but that doesn't mean they are good for us. I stand by the idea that proper sleep (whatever that is without fooling yourself) is as at least as important for your body as exercise and proper diet. And as for your mind, it should be obvious what happens to your mind when youíve not been getting enough sleep. Weíve all gone through that.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,950,296 times
Isn't this the same guy who sits all day? That can't be healthy.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,013,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
EVERYONE has time to exercise. MOST people make excuses to not do it. Simple as that. Own your excuses/justification.
Personally I agree. I run or ride a bike 5 days a week, play soccer once a week, tennis once a week, golf once every other week. I wasn't saying anything about exercise, merely stating some facts about sleep.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
pba

410 posts, read 800,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Personally I agree. I run or ride a bike 5 days a week, play soccer once a week, tennis once a week, golf once every other week. I wasn't saying anything about exercise, merely stating some facts about sleep.
No kids, huh?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,013,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
No kids, huh?
nope. I build biking into my day, though. I bike to work and back (12 miles each way) a few days a week. That increases my commute from 25 minutes each day to 45 minutes each way. Since it is my commute, it isn't a big deal. My parents have always had a treadmill/eliptical machine in the house, and they either woke up early or stayed up late to use it. Not saying that works for everyone, but they managed to keep up with exercise with 3 kids.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
It would help if people start their kids with less sugar and fast food,I honestly never saw so many obese kids ages 5-15 till moving to the south.

People eat bacon like its a staple!its scary and the cheap junk food swimming in oil...all of this causes diabetes and heart disease at an early age.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 AM

282 posts, read 1,050,841 times
Childhood obesity is a scary thing. My seven year old doesn't drink soda, and he prefers fruit to other crap, and I am convinced it is just because that was what was provided to him when he was younger. He likes all that good stuff now. Of course he has cookies and such now and then, but he actually chooses to eat healthy stuff over junk most of the time. He also is outdoors a lot and is very active. And guess what.....he is thin as a rail and in great shape. When I see 2 year olds drinking soda it repulses me. How about a 4 year old in the doctor's office waiting room munching on Doritos and pepsi.....it is disgusting and it is the parents' fault...no one elses. You don't HAVE to give your kids that crap to eat and drink just because it is available. People should be ashamed if they treat their kids that way!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Also, US foods are laden with hugh fructose corn syrup, unlike Europe. HFCS has been proven to cause obesity and it's worse for you than sugar itself.
Agree....it is in every soda/Gatorade...its cheap fillers abd additives and yes, adults need 2 be aware. (The point of this post is that children not educated on this becomre obese, not all parents can monitor what kids eat 24/7)and imo,the schools need to educate kids,and stop feeding them garbage...of course,if kids are "home-schooled"(whatever that is
Then the responsibility goes to their parents

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,085,229 times
An interesting (and slightly disturbing) article from CNN today:

Quote:
The little number on the tag on a pair of pants that indicates size can mean a lot to a person, and retailers know it.

That's why, in recent years, as the American population has become generally more overweight, brands from the luxury names to the mass retail chains have scaled down the size labels on their clothing.

"You may actually be a size 14 and, according to whatever particular store you're in, you come out a size 10," said Natalie Nixon, associate professor of fashion industry management at Philadelphia University. "It's definitely to make the consumer feel good."

Research shows that, when it comes to self-perception, the concept of "overweight" may be relative.
A working paper from a group led by Mary Burke, senior economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Massachusetts, suggested that people's perceptions of overweight have shifted, and "normal" is now heavier than it used to be.

Researchers used data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, nationally representative surveys run by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The first group was surveyed in 1988-1994, and the second was surveyed in 1999-2004. Because there were different people in each survey, it is not possible to tell if the perceptions of individuals shifted over time, the authors said.

Participants were asked whether they consider themselves "underweight," "about right," or "overweight," and reported their body mass index, a measure of the health risks associated with weight.

Although the BMI of the general population increased from the earlier survey period to the later one, the probability of people describing themselves as overweight decreased in the later survey, researchers found.
As nation gains, 'overweight' is relative - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates