U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Reputation: 10915

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I was looking at a medium sized bag of chips. Nacho cheese stuff. According to the label there were 170 calories per serving. No biggie, right? Then I noticed there were 10 servings in the bag! I could easily gulp down that bag in a minute or two. That's 1700 calories! Apparently a serving is a little less than a small handfull. I was both impressed and frightened at the same time. Who'd have guessed corn chips could pack so much poison?
I think it's odd that they consider a 20 oz. bottle of soda 2.5 servings, when I don't know anyone who doesn't polish that off on their own, except an ex-girlfriend who would drink about 4 to 6 oz. out of a can, and leave the rest of it to go flat.

As for the comment of seeing "big is beautiful" or BBW's, in Rubens' time, being "fat" simply meant that you were well-fed, and "skinny" was ugly. I personally find "sturdy" women--like farm girls--attractive. They're not fat, but they're not skinny mini's either. Their mass contains a lot of muscle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
 
1,704 posts, read 2,951,678 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Dr. Mr. Troll,

You know nothing of addiction.

Sincerely,

pba
Saddly the truth for you hurts. I'm sorry for hurting you, good luck breaking free from the chains of twinkies and quarter-pounders. There are all sorts of groups and therapy sessions for you, I hope you get help to crush your horrible addiction.

As for the troll comments, stuff it. I have an opinion, sorry it doesn't dovetail with your victimization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
 
1,704 posts, read 2,951,678 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Just wondering, I'm new here, but is it possible for you to debate a topic without you being so opprobrious? You keep referring to people who are overweight as "those people" and the contempt and detestation in your writing is palpable. It makes it hard to try and debate with you cause I can't get past your bad attitude to the jist of what you are saying.
Well Mom I do have contempt for people who instead of taking on the problem and solving it themselves they look for excuses. And it's not just the overweight crowd. The "I'm a victim" wave that is sweeping this society is what I detest, I actually (if you haven't noticed) seethe with anger when confronted by it. 99% of the time people create and can solve their own problems. The idea that we need legislation and my taxpayer dollars for these problems is mind boggling. Anyway have to go, hope to debate some more later, we might even be on the same side sooner or later you'd be suprised how often it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Rogers, AR
481 posts, read 808,119 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Well Mom I do have contempt for people who instead of taking on the problem and solving it themselves they look for excuses. And it's not just the overweight crowd. The "I'm a victim" wave that is sweeping this society is what I detest, I actually (if you haven't noticed) seethe with anger when confronted by it. 99% of the time people create and can solve their own problems. The idea that we need legislation and my taxpayer dollars for these problems is mind boggling. Anyway have to go, hope to debate some more later, we might even be on the same side sooner or later you'd be suprised how often it happens.
Well this is called a debate board, meaning that people are going to come here and offer other points of view then just yours. So you really need to get a new tactic other then calling us "victims" when we don't agree. My point is that every issue has a deeper context and to solve a problem in its totality, one must look at all aspects of what manifested that problem to begin with. That's what intellegent people do. It's a fact that anyone who has an addiction or even just a habit, will be more successful in changing their life if they work on the entire issue and not just the surface problem. Telling people to "wire their mouth shut" is just being mean and taking your anger out on people who have nothing to do with you.

If you truly lost 60+ lbs liek you claim, then I applaud you. I just hope that you didn't have someone like you in your life, putting you down along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
 
1,634 posts, read 3,332,527 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I have eaten 'wrong things' my entire life. I love 'wrong things.' I am not overweight. The key is the quantity you eat and exercise. I refuse to live on BS that I do not like--carrot sticks, celery, veggie trays, parsley puffs, bean sprout balls, lawn clippings. Screw that. That crap makes me sick to think about it. If that's what I had to look forward to every day, I'd rather be overweight.

You can eat the things you like (it makes it easier to tolerate the rabbit food you don't like). Just do it in moderation and go out and exercise as close to every day as you can.
I don't disagree, I have been able to eat just about anything most of my life, but others can't. Lately I have to be a bit more careful, I am aging and do not get quite as much exercise.

In my mind "wrong things" includes amount vs. exercise, but when folks eat nothing but processed foods it will lead to trouble, eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Reputation: 35869
When people assume the attributes and behavior characteristics of their culture, you cannot blame the individuals for being in step. Only the drum majors and baton twirlers.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-12-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,347 posts, read 9,988,245 times
Reputation: 9096
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Lately I have to be a bit more careful, I am aging and do not get quite as much exercise.
I must admit, sadly, that I have noticed this a bit as I've gotten older, too. I just can't consume as much Ben and Jerry's as I once could...

But I'd still rather have a couple tablespoons of that than I would a couple of bags of carrot runts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
 
1,501 posts, read 5,097,229 times
Reputation: 1115
I blame convenience -- too much of it -- where humans have become almost helpless; they won't go an extra foot for anything if it's not conveniently directly in front of them.

I see people who go to gyms right here in my area, and they refuse to walk a couple of yards out of their way for anything. They have to DRIVE those couple of yards and drive to the corner store. They will sit in a Chick-Fil-a drive-thru with 10 cars in front of them while we can look in the windows and see inside that the restaurant has one person waiting in the line. I'll run the heck in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 PM
 
1,501 posts, read 5,097,229 times
Reputation: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I must admit, sadly, that I have noticed this a bit as I've gotten older, too. I just can't consume as much Ben and Jerry's as I once could...

But I'd still rather have a couple tablespoons of that than I would a couple of bags of carrot runts...
I hear you! Cheese is my favorite, but I'm no longer its! Bye-Bye Cheese fries
My family laughs at me when all I need is a heaping tablespoon of Rocky Road. Just need my fix that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM
 
1,704 posts, read 2,951,678 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Well this is called a debate board, meaning that people are going to come here and offer other points of view then just yours. So you really need to get a new tactic other then calling us "victims" when we don't agree. My point is that every issue has a deeper context and to solve a problem in its totality, one must look at all aspects of what manifested that problem to begin with. That's what intellegent people do. It's a fact that anyone who has an addiction or even just a habit, will be more successful in changing their life if they work on the entire issue and not just the surface problem. Telling people to "wire their mouth shut" is just being mean and taking your anger out on people who have nothing to do with you.

If you truly lost 60+ lbs liek you claim, then I applaud you. I just hope that you didn't have someone like you in your life, putting you down along the way.
I'm well aware of where I am posting. Thank you.

MY point is that MOST people will happily latch on the "victim" excuse instead of doing the hard work to solve their problem whatever it is. You see I looked at all aspects of what manifested my problem, it was me stuffing my face. And you know what yeah I could have made excuses "oh it's my late work sched" "oh I have to go to school, I have no time" but you know what I took responsibility for my actions I didn't "blame" it on anyone/thing else. And you know what it worked, quickly.

And the "wire your mouth shut" comment was in the context of gastric bypass/banding. What you should do is read the whole post "thats what intelligent people do". It seems that you've been through a bunch of therapy. The most effective therapy IMO is claiming responsibility for your actions.

The whole idea of eating as an addiction is just another excuse for people to do nothing. IMO. So you can call me a troll or whatever you want. People aren't getting fat eating a balanced diet and exercising, period those are the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top