U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
pba
 
410 posts, read 800,723 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
People aren't getting fat eating a balanced diet and exercising, period those are the facts.

Let me see if I can summarize your enlightened position:
  • Alcoholics should just quit drinking, is that right? Wow, I think you've solved all their problems because I don't think any alcoholics realized that was their problem.
  • Heroin addicts should also just stop taking heroin if I'm reading you right. Please tell me if I have something wrong here because I really think you're on to something.
  • Gambling addicts just need to stop gambling. Hey, I think I've got it now!
  • Good news for you smokers, just stop smoking!
Your biggest delusion is thinking that addictions are merely physical problems. People should just stop doing one simple action and the addiction is kicked, right? Wrong. The psychological and emotional aspect of addiction is what people struggle with every day and it's what keeps them addicted.

Couple these addictions with low self-esteem, feelings of inadequacy, family/relationship problems and you'll find that for people with addictions that their addictive behavior helps to sooth these problems. What's even more difficult for these people to live with is that most realize their addictive behavior will only make them happy in the short term but they will regret their actions soon after. Yet they are still unable to break their addictions.

It is human nature to want to minimize physical and psychological pain but it is also our nature to seek an inner peace and happiness that doesn't depend on something external. You shouldn't judge these people so harshly but instead try to understand what they are going through...it's called empathy, try it sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:54 AM
 
Location: memphis tn
530 posts, read 568,499 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Let me see if I can summarize your enlightened position:
  • Alcoholics should just quit drinking, is that right? Wow, I think you've solved all their problems because I don't think any alcoholics realized that was their problem.
  • Heroin addicts should also just stop taking heroin if I'm reading you right. Please tell me if I have something wrong here because I really think you're on to something.
  • Gambling addicts just need to stop gambling. Hey, I think I've got it now!
  • Good news for you smokers, just stop smoking!
Your biggest delusion is thinking that addictions are merely physical problems. People should just stop doing one simple action and the addiction is kicked, right? Wrong. The psychological and emotional aspect of addiction is what people struggle with every day and it's what keeps them addicted.

Couple these addictions with low self-esteem, feelings of inadequacy, family/relationship problems and you'll find that for people with addictions that their addictive behavior helps to sooth these problems. What's even more difficult for these people to live with is that most realize their addictive behavior will only make them happy in the short term but they will regret their actions soon after. Yet they are still unable to break their addictions.

It is human nature to want to minimize physical and psychological pain but it is also our nature to seek an inner peace and happiness that doesn't depend on something external. You shouldn't judge these people so harshly but instead try to understand what they are going through...it's called empathy, try it sometime.
You know I have always had a problem with "addicts" I used to date one and he was the 12 step king. But the problem was he wasn't willing to take any responsibility for his own actions. No one force him to take that first drink. I don't do drugs....guess why? I choose not to. Everyday of our lives are a choice. You get up everymorning and choose to go to work or not, to exercise or not, to drink or not. Take some personal responsiblity for your own actions. You did not wake up one morning suddenly addicted to food. If your problem is psychological, then see a therapist. Before you say you can't afford it, check into free clinics and your insurance company. If the problem is mental then do something to fix it, instead of just saying "oh poor me, i would love to be thin, but i'm addicted to chocolate doughnuts" that's a cop out. There are not many people who had a worse mother than I did, and you don't see me crying over a cheeseburger about it. The best way not to be a victim is to attack the problem and conquer it, and thats not done sitting on the couch eating dortitos. Have some will power and self control. I could eat what ever I wanted, say screw exercise, but when I don't want to , I repeat this to my self " That ______(insert food of choice here) looks so good, but not as good as being thin and healthy feels or I'm so tired, I don't want to get up, but is 1 hr of extra sleep, worth 5 yrs and 100 lbs of hard work?" Its a trade off, and it isn't going to happen over night. That's mostly the problem, people want instant results with little out put, never going to work. Make a pledge to YOURSELF to exercise 20 min a day for 21 days, make a pledge to yourself to choose the healthier thing to eat for 21 days. Then see. If you don't really like the taste of something, eat it 10 times, your taste buds become accustomed to it and you will find you then actually crave eating it. Cleanse your body of all the yeast and toxins from the crap in our food, then you'll find you might actually like the taste of things like spinach, brocolli and asparagus. Everyone can find something healthy they like, or some form of exercise they like. I have never seen someone who goes to the gym regularly and eats healthy overweight! Sorry if I don't feel sorry for someone who chooses that life style. I used to be that person, I changed for me and no one else, I made that commitment to myself, and if you are willing to do the same, it will work for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
519 posts, read 1,555,979 times
Reputation: 265
Survival of the fittest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Rogers, AR
481 posts, read 808,119 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
You know I have always had a problem with "addicts" I used to date one and he was the 12 step king. But the problem was he wasn't willing to take any responsibility for his own actions. No one force him to take that first drink. I don't do drugs....guess why? I choose not to. Everyday of our lives are a choice. You get up everymorning and choose to go to work or not, to exercise or not, to drink or not. Take some personal responsiblity for your own actions. You did not wake up one morning suddenly addicted to food. If your problem is psychological, then see a therapist. Before you say you can't afford it, check into free clinics and your insurance company. If the problem is mental then do something to fix it, instead of just saying "oh poor me, i would love to be thin, but i'm addicted to chocolate doughnuts" that's a cop out. There are not many people who had a worse mother than I did, and you don't see me crying over a cheeseburger about it. The best way not to be a victim is to attack the problem and conquer it, and thats not done sitting on the couch eating dortitos. Have some will power and self control. I could eat what ever I wanted, say screw exercise, but when I don't want to , I repeat this to my self " That ______(insert food of choice here) looks so good, but not as good as being thin and healthy feels or I'm so tired, I don't want to get up, but is 1 hr of extra sleep, worth 5 yrs and 100 lbs of hard work?" Its a trade off, and it isn't going to happen over night. That's mostly the problem, people want instant results with little out put, never going to work. Make a pledge to YOURSELF to exercise 20 min a day for 21 days, make a pledge to yourself to choose the healthier thing to eat for 21 days. Then see. If you don't really like the taste of something, eat it 10 times, your taste buds become accustomed to it and you will find you then actually crave eating it. Cleanse your body of all the yeast and toxins from the crap in our food, then you'll find you might actually like the taste of things like spinach, brocolli and asparagus. Everyone can find something healthy they like, or some form of exercise they like. I have never seen someone who goes to the gym regularly and eats healthy overweight! Sorry if I don't feel sorry for someone who chooses that life style. I used to be that person, I changed for me and no one else, I made that commitment to myself, and if you are willing to do the same, it will work for you!
No one has ever claimed that it wasn't a choice. No one has ever said that it was an excuse. No one has ever said that it wasn't the responsibilty of the individual to overcome it. And I know, no wone has ever asked you or anyone else to feel sorry for someone. That is what is becoming so frustrating on these threads and what people are not wanting to understand because they prefer to be right. It's like you are reading things not written.

Let me see if I can be an organic intellectual and explain this again. Stating a fact (obesity is often times an addiction to food, racism exists, etc.) is just that, stating a fact. Just because soemthing is part of a problem doesn't mean that the person is no longer in control of their lives and has no choices. Being a "victim", and I am going to bold this here cause y'all love to use this f****** word, means allowing ones problems to be used as an excuse not to move forward. And no one has ever claimed that that was OK. Regardless of what you think, it has been proven that food addcition is a valid and real truth. And I believe that to solve any problem in life whether it be racism, obesity, or why my computer runs so dang slow, you have to look at the problem as a whole.

And, maybe you'll find the answer is just a surface level issue and can be fixed long term through by just one simple solution. Great! For sickofny99, that may have been the case as he said and all it took for him was laying off the chips. No one is denying that. But for others, and I will even say the majority of obese people, the problem lies deeper, therefore the solution is more complex. Doesn't mean it can't be solved, it just means that only solving the suface issue will most likely not solve the entire problem and thus it is more likely for the problem to come up again. If you are so knowledgable about addictions then I don't see how you are not aware of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Reputation: 35869
I see three principal factors all coming into play at about the same time, mainly around the 1960s,.

1. The sudden growth of the economy, such that there was a fairly rapid shift in the marketplace, from goods that people needed to goods that people wanted. Instead of a nutrition-based diet, people were able to pay more for expensive processed foods.

2. The economic growth led to a larger work force to sustain it, which sent mom from the kitchen to the jobsite. She no longer had the time at home to prepare meals from scratch, and had to rely on processed convenience foods. The multiplier effect spinning out of control, as mom works for money to buy prepackaged food, processed by another mom working for money to buy prepackaged food. Taking in each other's wash.

3. Increasing technology in industry left this huge army of workers with little physical labor to do as part of their work day, so there was a reduction in caloric expenditure, without any reduction in caloric consumption.

Given those three compounding factors, the risk for obesity in society would naturally grow, absent any external force applied to curtail it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 AM
 
Location: memphis tn
530 posts, read 568,499 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
No one has ever claimed that it wasn't a choice. No one has ever said that it was an excuse. No one has ever said that it wasn't the responsibilty of the individual to overcome it. And I know, no wone has ever asked you or anyone else to feel sorry for someone. That is what is becoming so frustrating on these threads and what people are not wanting to understand because they prefer to be right. It's like you are reading things not written.

Let me see if I can be an organic intellectual and explain this again. Stating a fact (obesity is often times an addiction to food, racism exists, etc.) is just that, stating a fact. Just because soemthing is part of a problem doesn't mean that the person is no longer in control of their lives and has no choices. Being a "victim", and I am going to bold this here cause y'all love to use this f****** word, means allowing ones problems to be used as an excuse not to move forward. And no one has ever claimed that that was OK. Regardless of what you think, it has been proven that food addcition is a valid and real truth. And I believe that to solve any problem in life whether it be racism, obesity, or why my computer runs so dang slow, you have to look at the problem as a whole.

And, maybe you'll find the answer is just a surface level issue and can be fixed long term through by just one simple solution. Great! For sickofny99, that may have been the case as he said and all it took for him was laying off the chips. No one is denying that. But for others, and I will even say the majority of obese people, the problem lies deeper, therefore the solution is more complex. Doesn't mean it can't be solved, it just means that only solving the suface issue will most likely not solve the entire problem and thus it is more likely for the problem to come up again. If you are so knowledgable about addictions then I don't see how you are not aware of that.
Wow, you seem to have missed the point where I said if it is psychological, then seek therapy. You also seemed to miss the point of this thread, Who's to Blame! We are each responsible for our lives. I can't change your life and you can't change mine, only your own.
I will admit that the food and grocery industry does alot to keep people fat( with all the flavor enhancers and additives). But you choose. You choose doritos or an apple. Addicted to food, ok well then if you feel that food=love, acceptance, etc... then stuff your face with celery.
I am also willing to admit the things we eat are toxic to our bodies and in fact work against us, keeping us fat and sick. So, I choose not to eat those things. I don't drink soda or anything with artifical sweetners( which have been proven to make people gain weight). I drink water, tea and some friut juice. I don't eat fast food or tons of meat and no dairy. I'm not saying this is possible for everyone, but I know it works for me.
I used to weight over 200 lbs at 5'5', so I know a little about struggling with being over weight. Being healthy is a daily struggle for me. But I hit bottom and decided to change my life. If you want it bad enough you will too! Would it be easier sometimes to go to McD's than to go home and fix something healthy after 24 hrs in the ER? Sure. But in the long run, I know that is something that I will not start, because I know where it leads. Its a life style change. Its not about a diet. It's about changing our mindsets.
Diets don't work, don't let anyone tell you that they do. None of them do. Becaude if you stop the diet you gain the weight back then some. The only thing that works is changing your life style. Do you know why shows like the biggest loser work? Because they take the people away from their lives make them work out daily and eat right. After the show, the contestants become accustomed to eating healthy and exercise. No one said it's easy, but it is worth it. If you can't do it on your own, join a support group, or form one, I bet there are tons of people in your area who would jion. Make a commitment to each other, but mostly make one to yourself. It is often so easy to say sure I can do that for you to someone else, but we so often find when we make a commitment to ourselves we break it. Put yourself first, keep your promise to yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Rogers, AR
481 posts, read 808,119 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Wow, you seem to have missed the point where I said if it is psychological, then seek therapy. You also seemed to miss the point of this thread, Who's to Blame! We are each responsible for our lives. I can't change your life and you can't change mine, only your own.
I will admit that the food and grocery industry does alot to keep people fat( with all the flavor enhancers and additives). But you choose. You choose doritos or an apple. Addicted to food, ok well then if you feel that food=love, acceptance, etc... then stuff your face with celery.
I am also willing to admit the things we eat are toxic to our bodies and in fact work against us, keeping us fat and sick. So, I choose not to eat those things. I don't drink soda or anything with artifical sweetners( which have been proven to make people gain weight). I drink water, tea and some friut juice. I don't eat fast food or tons of meat and no dairy. I'm not saying this is possible for everyone, but I know it works for me.
I used to weight over 200 lbs at 5'5', so I know a little about struggling with being over weight. Being healthy is a daily struggle for me. But I hit bottom and decided to change my life. If you want it bad enough you will too! Would it be easier sometimes to go to McD's than to go home and fix something healthy after 24 hrs in the ER? Sure. But in the long run, I know that is something that I will not start, because I know where it leads. Its a life style change. Its not about a diet. It's about changing our mindsets.
Diets don't work, don't let anyone tell you that they do. None of them do. Becaude if you stop the diet you gain the weight back then some. The only thing that works is changing your life style. Do you know why shows like the biggest loser work? Because they take the people away from their lives make them work out daily and eat right. After the show, the contestants become accustomed to eating healthy and exercise. No one said it's easy, but it is worth it. If you can't do it on your own, join a support group, or form one, I bet there are tons of people in your area who would jion. Make a commitment to each other, but mostly make one to yourself. It is often so easy to say sure I can do that for you to someone else, but we so often find when we make a commitment to ourselves we break it. Put yourself first, keep your promise to yourself!
I don't disagree with anything you have said here. Please understadn that my post was not just to you, but to the various others on this thread who have not been willing to see that there are extenuating circumstance that make it harder for many to overcome certain life challenges. I am not just answering the op as you are. I am responding to comments made as the thread went on. Obviously the quick answer to "what's to blame" is food. I mean you can't get fat without eating. But that's not a debate really. Read the entire thread and you will see where my post above came from. I can see though how at first glance it might have seemed as if I was only commenting to you. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
 
Location: memphis tn
530 posts, read 568,499 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I don't disagree with anything you have said here. Please understadn that my post was not just to you, but to the various others on this thread who have not been willing to see that there are extenuating circumstance that make it harder for many to overcome certain life challenges. I am not just answering the op as you are. I am responding to comments made as the thread went on. Obviously the quick answer to "what's to blame" is food. I mean you can't get fat without eating. But that's not a debate really. Read the entire thread and you will see where my post above came from. I can see though how at first glance it might have seemed as if I was only commenting to you. My bad.
Actually I have read the entire post and commented multiple times. I have always said that I was not here to degrade anyone and would be glad to help where I could. I do have alot of problems with people who always seem to have an excuse. I know from experience it's not easy,but I also know that each individual is responsible for their own life. We get up every day and choose. Some just choose different than others. We are a sum of our choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,506 posts, read 23,188,178 times
Reputation: 8832
All relevant posts here. I actually agree with most, choice is important when adults choose either to eat healthy or eat garbage and get heart disease.
When I first wrote this post it was after seeing way too many kids and teenagers who qualify as obese...I have never seen so many unhealthy kids, and at the supermarket you see them loading up the cart with obese parents...they spend hundreds on garbage and are ruining their kids lives.Its disgusting.I also never noticed this till I moved to NE Tennessee, in NY and Florida people seem more aware of health issues,JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
 
Location: memphis tn
530 posts, read 568,499 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
All relevant posts here. I actually agree with most, choice is important when adults choose either to eat healthy or eat garbage and get heart disease.
When I first wrote this post it was after seeing way too many kids and teenagers who qualify as obese...I have never seen so many unhealthy kids, and at the supermarket you see them loading up the cart with obese parents...they spend hundreds on garbage and are ruining their kids lives.Its disgusting.I also never noticed this till I moved to NE Tennessee, in NY and Florida people seem more aware of health issues,JMO.
I honestly think it is a form of child abuse. Your setting your children up for sickness. Its about like sending them to play in a coal mine. But you can't make people see that. When I see some little fat kid stuffing their face with pizza or chips, ice cream, etc as their parents watch it makes me want to slap the he** out of them. We are setting our children up for a life of heartache!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top