Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

You know, some of you people remind me of overly-zealous religious fanatics. It's just that food is your religion and you are hellbent to spread the word and even legislate the word. Don't eat this, don't eat that, don't eat dairy, don't eat meat, don't eat anything sweet, don't eat bread, don't eat blah blah blah. What the hell can we eat? Bean sprouts? Seaweed? A friggin' kumquat? What?

Truthfully, if I had to look forward to eating your kinda food every day, I'd rather be dead. Now, does that mean I go out and eat a side of beef daily? Do I down five dozen doughnuts daily? Do I clean McDonalds out each time I go through the drive through? Do I buy a case of Three Musketeers rather than a bar? Do I eat ten dozen lard-drenched hot dogs in a sitting? No, no, no, no, and NO!

Have any of you people heard of moderation? Does that word register? Health is not acquired by living off from carrot sticks. Moderation and exercise is the name of the game. I'll bet I can jog just as far, hike for just as many hours, walk as far, etc etc etc as most of you food fanatics (I'll even wager I get more exercise that most of you), even though I occasionally enjoy a chocolate bar, regularly drink milk, regularly eat bread, cook with that ikky sugar, have a diet coke often , and once in a while... even have one of those satanic strawberry shortcakes.

EAT what you want to eat. Just do it responsibly and exercise regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry, I ran 5 miles Saturday....later that day I ate a dove bar and a margarita. The reality of the situation is that you can't legislate Dove Bars and Margarita's because my 400lb neighbor decided to eat a box of them, wash it down with a 12 pack of coca cola and then make a McDonalds run...their only departure from the couch\chair all day.

Let the people who have the problem deal with it...don't get into my business because of the addictions of others.

Okay, I was wrong, at least one person has their thinking cap on today. Oh that's right... sugar is good for the brain. Gotta love those Dove bars.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Obesity in America- who is to blame?

uh...........the obese?
that's a no-brainer

Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Me, it's my fault. I accept the blame. Now everyone else can feel free of guilt and finger pointing....now doesn't that feel good?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 PM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You know, some of you people remind me of overly-zealous religious fanatics. It's just that food is your religion and you are hellbent to spread the word and even legislate the word. Don't eat this, don't eat that, don't eat dairy, don't eat meat, don't eat anything sweet, don't eat bread, don't eat blah blah blah. What the hell can we eat? Bean sprouts? Seaweed? A friggin' kumquat? What?

Truthfully, if I had to look forward to eating your kinda food every day, I'd rather be dead. Now, does that mean I go out and eat a side of beef daily? Do I down five dozen doughnuts daily? Do I clean McDonalds out each time I go through the drive through? Do I buy a case of Three Musketeers rather than a bar? Do I eat ten dozen lard-drenched hot dogs in a sitting? No, no, no, no, and NO!

Have any of you people heard of moderation? Does that word register? Health is not acquired by living off from carrot sticks. Moderation and exercise is the name of the game. I'll bet I can jog just as far, hike for just as many hours, walk as far, etc etc etc as most of you food fanatics (I'll even wager I get more exercise that most of you), even though I occasionally enjoy a chocolate bar, regularly drink milk, regularly eat bread, cook with that ikky sugar, have a diet coke often , and once in a while... even have one of those satanic strawberry shortcakes.

EAT what you want to eat. Just do it responsibly and exercise regularly.
This is right on. What has killed us, SNACKING. We've gotten used to snacking (usually unhealthy) throughout the day, those calories build up quick. Fat is not the enemy, sugar won't kill you, 4500 calories a day will get to you though!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Me, it's my fault. I accept the blame. Now everyone else can feel free of guilt and finger pointing....now doesn't that feel good?
Much better. That's a real load off...

We knew it was you all along. We just needed to get that confession...

Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Thumbs down no wonder America rates 37th in lousy health care..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I watched an obese gal eat 5 McDoubles the other day....thats more than a days worth of calories in one sitting with about 50% from fat. Too bad she didn't know that it wasn't a healthy choice.

I call BULL when people say "they don't know". I have several REALLY overweight friends and they all *know* they eat too much, eat the wrong things and don't exercise enough.

A list of dangerous foods? Please, everyone already knows this...they just are comfortable with their lifestyle and aren't motivated to change.
I agree if they want a heart attack at age 25 that's their stupid choice to eat at McDonalds...Hollywood hospital in S Florida has a McDonalds in it(ughhhh) as does Walmart...IMO this is insane, I'm not excusing lazy and obese people who refuse to eat fruit instead of funnel cake,BUT in the US the corps of McD's and KFC are over abundant in the poorest rural areas...The companies are targeting the poor and ignorant;if u drive thru Hazard Kentucky (not that you'd want to-lol) the only places to eat out serve fast food garbage.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
If it didnt grow from a plant dont eat it. if it has been processed dont eat it. It is not difficult. If it has more than 5 ingredients you probably shouldnt eat it. For sure if you can not pronounce them dont eat them. Do not eat dairy, it is bad for you and cheese is very addictive. Meat is aweful and pork and turkey are then two worst, dont eat them. If they have been bleached ( white bread, pasta and refined sugar) dont eat them. 2/3 of your shopping should be done at the front of the store in the fruit/veg section. You should try when you can to shop at an organic store or farmers market. Eat only whole grains and as much of your food as raw as possible. This is not rocket science, everyone knows COKES are BAD for you and the diet ones help to make you FATTER! We are a nation of sheep. Stop watching tv, dont buy something because of a comercial. If McD's is convienient and thats your excuse then an apple and some almonds are even more convienient. They are already fixed, healthy and portion controlled for the most part. Water is everywhere. Dont like the lack of taste put a lemon , lime, or some berries in it. Everyone in america needs to do a body cleanse and rid your body of the yeast overgrowth in your intestines, then you will stop craving sugar. I could go on and on for days about this. I could write books about this. If it doesnt come from nature in its most natural form, don't eat it, plain and simple.

Or, don't buy food that comes in a box.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
If it didnt grow from a plant dont eat it.
I’m not a vegan, thus not bound by that whim. Bet you don’t want me to eat carbs, either.

Quote:
if it has been processed dont eat it. .
If you like salmonella, it's okay with me.

Quote:
If it has more than 5 ingredients you probably shouldnt eat it.
That eliminates about 99% of the ethnic and world foods eaten (my favorites). It also eliminates something as simple as a vegetable stew. If you want to go out into a barley field, sit down, and chomp away... have at it. I’ll stick with the foods I enjoy, you stick with what works for you.

Quote:
Do not eat dairy.
Don't eat dairy. That's fine by me. I've had it pretty much every day of my 46 years on the planet (at least since I can remember). I haven't been to a doctor (other than nearly cutting my finger off) in about 20 years. I have no weight issue. I have no health issue. Milk... it does a body good.

Quote:
cheese is very addictive.
Maybe for you. I like it, but I don't eat it all that often.

Quote:
Meat is aweful and pork and turkey are then two worst, dont eat them.
Again, don't eat them. Fine by me. They taste fine to me. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.

Quote:
If they have been bleached ( white bread, pasta and refined sugar) dont eat them. .
Most of my diet consists of corn/grain/rice-derived foods. In many cases, bleached. I love bread, naan, tortillas, and lefse.

Quote:
2/3 of your shopping should be done at the front of the store in the fruit/veg section. .
I hate fruit for the most part. Pairs are okay. Grapes are fine. But for the most part it sucks. As for vegetables, I love potatoes; is that a vegetable? I don't really care. I just eat it. I kind of like spinach.

Quote:
You should try when you can to shop at an organic store or farmers market. .
And pay five times the price it costs in the store? No thanks.

Quote:
Eat only whole grains and as much of your food as raw as possible. .
No thanks. I'm not a cow or a horse.

Quote:
This is not rocket science, everyone knows COKES are BAD for you and the diet ones help to make you FATTER! .
I drink plenty of diet coke. I've never gained an ounce from it. Fact is I had a nice big one right after the last marathon I ran.

Quote:
We are a nation of sheep. .
Yes we are. We listen to too many dictators telling us to eat the things they like to eat.

Quote:
then an apple .
And if I think apples suck?

Quote:
Dont like the lack of taste put a lemon , lime, or some berries in it.
The taste of lemon, lime and most berries are not to my liking.

Quote:
I could write books about this. If it doesnt come from nature in its most natural form, don't eat it, plain and simple.
You should. Actually more like an essay. Call it, 'What I Like to Eat and By Default What the Rest of the World Should Also Eat.'

epilogue: did you notice that, in this post, I didn't once tell you to eat the sorts of things that I like to eat?

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-22-2009 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree if they want a heart attack at age 25 that's their stupid choice to eat at McDonalds...Hollywood hospital in S Florida has a McDonalds in it(ughhhh) as does Walmart...IMO this is insane, I'm not excusing lazy and obese people who refuse to eat fruit instead of funnel cake,BUT in the US the corps of McD's and KFC are over abundant in the poorest rural areas...The companies are targeting the poor and ignorant;if u drive thru Hazard Kentucky (not that you'd want to-lol) the only places to eat out serve fast food garbage.
Hey, I have a number of professional, non-poor, non-ignorant friends that are obese. It's actually quite common...they just choose not to eat healthy and frankly the bigger problem is ZERO exercise.

I don't think those chains "target" those people...those types of restaurants are ALL OVER the place. They just happen to do well in certain areas. Heck, there is a McDonalds by my house in a nice suburban area that does INCREDIBLE business. <shrug>

Again, personal responsibility. You can't have freedoms without it. On a morbid plus note, really obese people probably help the retirement part of social security since they won't live long enough to collect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates