U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
 
8,792 posts, read 9,617,809 times
Reputation: 6682

Advertisements

Go in to a rural poor or Urban Neighborhood and see how far you have to go to buy a carrot or celery, then see how far you have to go to buy a Mountain Dew, Twinkies and a Pack of Marlboros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 13,013,230 times
Reputation: 5443
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Go in to a rural poor or Urban Neighborhood and see how far you have to go to buy a carrot or celery, then see how far you have to go to buy a Mountain Dew, Twinkies and a Pack of Marlboros.
I live in a city right now (Pittsburgh), and I guarantee there is a grocery store within walking distance of every neighborhood in the city. A few of them close early (before dark) so employees can get home safely, but it is still a full grocery store (with carrots, celery and everything). Proximity isn't an excuse.

Even if someone had to take a bus (or ride a bike) a few miles to get healthy food, there is the option to do that. A lack of resources is not an excuse in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,692 posts, read 11,422,950 times
Reputation: 3684
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Go in to a rural poor or Urban Neighborhood and see how far you have to go to buy a carrot or celery, then see how far you have to go to buy a Mountain Dew, Twinkies and a Pack of Marlboros.

Like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,637 posts, read 5,261,488 times
Reputation: 2650
There are some great posts about why this is happening. I agree with most of them, but I have to say that IMHO, people have forgotten two important old sayings. One would be relating to the brainwashing aspect: "There's a sucker born every minute" and the other would be: "The buck stops here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30548
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Go in to a rural poor or Urban Neighborhood and see how far you have to go to buy a carrot or celery, then see how far you have to go to buy a Mountain Dew, Twinkies and a Pack of Marlboros.
I've lived in BOTH and can tell you this is a myth.

Oh wait, there ARE more gas stations than grocery stores and generally you might have to walk an extra block or two....so yes, lets add the caveat that if you are a complete lazy slob and refuse to go an extra block to go to a real store instead of 7-11 then it's not your fault you are obese...it's the man keeping you down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM
 
1,704 posts, read 2,950,698 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've lived in BOTH and can tell you this is a myth.

Oh wait, there ARE more gas stations than grocery stores and generally you might have to walk an extra block or two....so yes, lets add the caveat that if you are a complete lazy slob and refuse to go an extra block to go to a real store instead of 7-11 then it's not your fault you are obese...it's the man keeping you down.

Totally. This is the whole mindset of the victim society. Someone is "keeping them down". Now I'm a white male prime "keeper downer" if you listen to some people. I'm too busy working and trying to give something to my kid to come that I don't have time to "keep anyone down". PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is the key phrase for EVERYONE regardless of issue. Everyone chooses to ignore this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Reputation: 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Totally. This is the whole mindset of the victim society. Someone is "keeping them down". ... PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is the key phrase for EVERYONE regardless of issue. Everyone chooses to ignore this.
Yup. Look at all the posts here whining about how they can't get this food or that food, there is nothing around but cigarettes and beer... and twinkies, there is a conspiracy by whomever to try to have us only eat BigMacs all day every day, they only advertise Burger King on TV. blah blah blah...

Unless you honestly have some sort of physical problem with weight (like a gland issue or whatever) or you have some sort of psychological condition, it's all a load of crap. You decide what you eat, and more importantly HOW MUCH of it you eat. You also decide whether or not to make excuses as to why you don't have the time to exercise (you know, like watching TV for 8 hours, or talking on the cell phone 4 hours, or texting for half a day).

It really is this simple (barring a medical condition): Move More, Eat Less. And it doesn't have to be celery stalks; you'll never stick with it if you are eating food you hate. Whatever it is, just eat less of it and exercise WAY more than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,461 posts, read 4,097,215 times
Reputation: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.
I understand where you are coming from with regard to seeing alot of obese kids; I see them here as well. I know it is an old cliche but it truly is a lack of education on nutrition that leads these kids to be heavy; not education on their part but on their parents' part. Also, if you look into these situations a little closer you will see that obese kids seem to come from lower income families. Why? Junk food is cheaper and easier to get. It is very expensive to eat healthy. My husband and I are doing Weight Watchers and for just the two of us for 7 days worth of meals plus our regular taxable items, we spent $279.00 last week and that was just buying lean beef, a small pork roast, chicken and lots of fruits, veggies, fish and low carb breads. it is mega expensive to eat correctly.

Alot of the children today do not get up and move like kids use to back in the days when there were no computers, no gameboys, no ipods...no nothing except maybe Mickey Mouse at 4:00 pm. We were not allowed to sit on our butts in front of the tv and were always told to get outside and get some fresh air. As long as the kids are quiet and not getting in trouble, there they sit in front of a computer. Yes, I am sitting in front of my computer now but have only been here for an hour and have already cleaned my 2600 sq ft house, walked the dog, did two loads of laundry and more.

So, to answer your question...No, I don't think that the parents of these children think that Colas, fast foods or other junk food is good for their kids but there are times when there is just not enough money coming in so that they can buy healthy foods. Like I said it is expensive to eat healthy and if this is the case for parents with obese kids, then it is time to get them up and moving and away from their computers and electronic games and try to get them to physically burn off what they are eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,461 posts, read 4,097,215 times
Reputation: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've lived in BOTH and can tell you this is a myth.Oh wait, there ARE more gas stations than grocery stores and generally you might have to walk an extra block or two....so yes, lets add the caveat that if you are a complete lazy slob and refuse to go an extra block to go to a real store instead of 7-11 then it's not your fault you are obese...it's the man keeping you down.
Regardless of where people live in proximity to a "good store" with healthy food, they still have to have the money to buy the healthy food. Maybe this isn't an excuse for being obese but it sure doesn't help the cause. I have had weight issues my entire life and take full blame for not eating properly; however, there was a time in my life when all I could afford was starchy stuff and whatever the donated food truck was bringing and it was normally not real healthy stuff. This was while I lived in Maine. When I divorced my ex and moved back to CT, I was then a single Mom and was again eating things that were cheap...Ramen Noodles, Mac N Cheese...filling but not healthy. My son needed Milk, fruit, veggies and with the lousy $50.00 a week child support we got, it wasn't always possible.

We all have to take responsibility for how we end up as adults...physically as well as emotionally and we have to take responsibility for how our children's health progresses. Junk food or healthy food, we are raising a whole group of kids who don't move or exercise and this is what the epidemic is not the fact that they eat wrong all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Florida
6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times
Reputation: 4690
I totally do not get your post.

So by your way of thinking--it is cheaper to buy junk food? Really? Wow, I had no idea.
One need not go the Weight watcher route to eat properly. One would not need Weight Watchers if they ate properly -period!
It is NOT mega expensive to eat healthy. Weight watchers is expensive and a gimmick. You could eat healthy without Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers and do so for a lot less-if you wanted to. It may be more convenient but there are other options.
You imply that the issue is mainly low income families,then go on to say how the kids of these families sit in front of computers and electronic games all day instead of going outside. If they are so low income--how are they affording such???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I understand where you are coming from with regard to seeing alot of obese kids; I see them here as well. I know it is an old cliche but it truly is a lack of education on nutrition that leads these kids to be heavy; not education on their part but on their parents' part. Also, if you look into these situations a little closer you will see that obese kids seem to come from lower income families. Why? Junk food is cheaper and easier to get. It is very expensive to eat healthy. My husband and I are doing Weight Watchers and for just the two of us for 7 days worth of meals plus our regular taxable items, we spent $279.00 last week and that was just buying lean beef, a small pork roast, chicken and lots of fruits, veggies, fish and low carb breads. it is mega expensive to eat correctly.

Alot of the children today do not get up and move like kids use to back in the days when there were no computers, no gameboys, no ipods...no nothing except maybe Mickey Mouse at 4:00 pm. We were not allowed to sit on our butts in front of the tv and were always told to get outside and get some fresh air. As long as the kids are quiet and not getting in trouble, there they sit in front of a computer. Yes, I am sitting in front of my computer now but have only been here for an hour and have already cleaned my 2600 sq ft house, walked the dog, did two loads of laundry and more.

So, to answer your question...No, I don't think that the parents of these children think that Colas, fast foods or other junk food is good for their kids but there are times when there is just not enough money coming in so that they can buy healthy foods. Like I said it is expensive to eat healthy and if this is the case for parents with obese kids, then it is time to get them up and moving and away from their computers and electronic games and try to get them to physically burn off what they are eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top