U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 12:24 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,966,164 times

Advertisements

slim or thin are acceptable terms.
thanks for understanding. The term skinny is as offensive as fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks for advising me not to call thin/slender/underweight people "skinny." Is there a preferred, correct term? I certainly don't want to hurt/offend anyone, and apologize to anyone I might have by using this term... Mea culpa.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM

8,799 posts, read 9,626,228 times
I have always wondered how child hood obesity coincides with busing. I walked 5 blocks to school in the 70's , it totaled 20 blocks per day/100 per week including coming home for lunch. On the days that I stayed for lunch all the kids in the school who's mothers worked could fit into a single class room. This is only pertinent because lunch at home (even left overs) was more nutritious than school food. Perhaps the loss of neighborhood schools has contributed to childhood obesity.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 PM

3,700 posts, read 3,028,739 times
It's in vogue now to take the high moral ground, wherein the righteous can offer us more of the same tired sermons on "personal responsibility", I would agree that the causes of obesity are many, but placing the "blame" is not always an easy task to undertake. Yes, it goes without saying, that we as a nation are sliding into an irreversible plight, on the one hand taking responsibility for your actions and the resulting consequences is something we can learn early in life, unfortunately, we also learn to love the grease, salts, sugars, and starches, that are the culprits in most fast food.

For the sake of those kid's who are being raised in a home where the parent presence is minimal, or the parent's themselves are out of control, it seems to be reasonable to limit the way in which these fast food purveyors conduct themselves with regard to nutrition. Good food and nutrition are not mutually exclusive, therefore it seems that we are only holding back on taking action against the wholesale damage done to children, in the name of some twisted perception of free enterprise.

People could still get their goodies, but at the very least we would know that some of the worst aspects of this utter disregard for childrens health would be mitigated. Also, kid's in our school system need to get up more often and burn some calories, advertising for the crap foods needs to be limited, we did it for booze and cigarettes, we can do anything we put our minds to, for our collective well being. There will always be bad foods, but he institutionalized blessing of fast food needs to stop . Of course, education remains high on the list of the best possible way to get people to change.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,120,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks for advising me not to call thin/slender/underweight people "skinny." Is there a preferred, correct term? I certainly don't want to hurt/offend anyone, and apologize to anyone I might have by using this term... Mea culpa.

Dude, thin and slender are DIFFERENT than UNDERWEIGHT

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
Personally, if some one accepts the health risks of being heavy...they can eat WTF they please. Same thing with any drug or over consumption of good, that it's their choice and their business. At some point people need to accept responsibility that they know the risk and they choose to do it anyways, obesity is just getting to that point, while drugs and smoking people should know by now.

Kids are different, they need to have a good role model to make sure they start out right and have good habits...what a kid starts with tends to keep with them. If the parents set them in front of the TV and gives them McD's to shut them up, they are going to learn that as what they will do later in life. Get them active and engaged, they will learn that as well (my parents did that, so I did). Give them a good start and they will benefit from it the rest of their life, not only in keeping fit but learning and ambition.

I have many ideas about the calorie density of foods increasing, and as they increased people got heavier. Also eating less calorie dense foods help out with health and weight, it does with my own weight so far (though I certainly need to work out more, and I am getting a bike tomorrow) as it takes up more bulk and fiber to fill you up and, well, keep things moving. However, it's my own opinion so I use it myself but people can follow it or not at their own desire.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:21 AM

530 posts, read 568,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
With all due respect people don't know. I can't tell you how many diabetics keep candy around to keep their blood sugar balanced, Dr.'s quit calling the disease "sugar diabetes" for that reason. I know people who's cholesterol is well in the heart attack zone who don't know to stop eating animal products. I talked to an other wise intelligent man who thought his gall bladder problem could be solved by eating more fat in order to give it "something to do. " I knew a man who bragged to me about 15 years ago "I'm a meat 'n potatoes man, I never eat green vegetables" he needs a heart today. I used to preach to people 25-30 years ago, its too exhausting now. When I grew up I used to hear the phrase "you're digging your grave with a spoon" I know people are not as aware of the seemly obvious out comes of bad food habits. These habits are handed down in families and to change them is in a way a rejection of food traditions we cherish as good and wholesome memories, Just like the foods we associate with them.
But there in you are assuming these people don't know. Most of them do and if they see a DR on a reg basis, i'm quite sure they do. Its kinda like blaming the tobacco company for getting lung cancer. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to know its bad, but millions of people do it everyday. They just dont give a crap!

Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 AM

530 posts, read 568,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Iím not a vegan, thus not bound by that whim. Bet you donít want me to eat carbs, either.

If you like salmonella, it's okay with me.

That eliminates about 99% of the ethnic and world foods eaten (my favorites). It also eliminates something as simple as a vegetable stew. If you want to go out into a barley field, sit down, and chomp away... have at it. Iíll stick with the foods I enjoy, you stick with what works for you.

Don't eat dairy. That's fine by me. I've had it pretty much every day of my 46 years on the planet (at least since I can remember). I haven't been to a doctor (other than nearly cutting my finger off) in about 20 years. I have no weight issue. I have no health issue. Milk... it does a body good.

Maybe for you. I like it, but I don't eat it all that often.

Again, don't eat them. Fine by me. They taste fine to me. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.

Most of my diet consists of corn/grain/rice-derived foods. In many cases, bleached. I love bread, naan, tortillas, and lefse.

I hate fruit for the most part. Pairs are okay. Grapes are fine. But for the most part it sucks. As for vegetables, I love potatoes; is that a vegetable? I don't really care. I just eat it. I kind of like spinach.

And pay five times the price it costs in the store? No thanks.

No thanks. I'm not a cow or a horse.

I drink plenty of diet coke. I've never gained an ounce from it. Fact is I had a nice big one right after the last marathon I ran.

Yes we are. We listen to too many dictators telling us to eat the things they like to eat.

And if I think apples suck?

The taste of lemon, lime and most berries are not to my liking.

You should. Actually more like an essay. Call it, 'What I Like to Eat and By Default What the Rest of the World Should Also Eat.'

epilogue: did you notice that, in this post, I didn't once tell you to eat the sorts of things that I like to eat?
I am simply stating what people do and should know. The truth of the matter is dont come to me complaining that your a lard butt and then procede to eat half a large supreme pizza and wash it down with a pitcher of coke and expect any different.
This might sound odd to you, but I never eat meat except the occasional sushi. Look at our teeth we are not ment to eat meat, plus i have the killing of innocent animals problem and the hormone antibotic and chemical problem with non organic meat. I never really cared for it much. Not even when I was young. Cheese and other dairy products are additive, the cows release a hormone (enzyme) that when metablolized by the human body gives you a feel good reaction. Thats what probably makes those cheeseburgers from McD's taste sooo good.
Even as a child I would have rather eaten an apple or tomato than candy. Everyones taste buds are different. I am glad that you eat what you like, we all should, but not if that love of food will cost you your life. I like beer. but there are people who cant drink it because they can not handle having one or two. This country is stupid when it comes to moderation and portion control.
As for the 5 ingredient rule. I ment for packaged foods. Not if your making something in your kitchen from seperate ingredients.
How wonderful for you that you can eat crap, brag about it , and still be "healthy".The funny things is that I see tons of guys like you every year, they eat basicially crap but they exercise and think they are healthy as a horse. I usually see them first when I have to walk in their exam room and say sir your having a heart attack, we need to rush you to the cath lab. Or the other time is as i'm pronouncing time of death and the family is just in shock...he seemed so healthy.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 AM

41 posts, read 72,441 times
The parents who feed their kids crap and the people eating crap.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:51 AM

8,799 posts, read 9,626,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
But there in you are assuming these people don't know. Most of them do and if they see a DR on a reg basis, i'm quite sure they do. Its kinda like blaming the tobacco company for getting lung cancer. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to know its bad, but millions of people do it everyday. They just dont give a crap!
They can't just stop. You know a life long smoker who quites is virtually nicotine free in 3-4 days . So why doesn't every one who wants to quit just stop smoking?, when I quit over 20 years ago (cold Turkey) a Psychologist friend told me he wouldn't bet me a $1.00 that I couldn't quit, but he would bet me $1000.00 that I couldn't stop doing smoking behaviors. long after I quit I would start my car and push in the cigarette lighter.
An obese person is not feeding their body but they are feeding a psychological need with food, As healthy as I enjoy eating, I still over eat sugar when I am upset or mad, Looking in the mirror has no more effect on an obese person than hacking up blood has for a smoker.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 AM

10,341 posts, read 9,988,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
I am simply stating what people do and should know. The truth of the matter is dont come to me complaining that your a lard butt and then procede to eat half a large supreme pizza and wash it down with a pitcher of coke and expect any different.
This might sound odd to you, but I never eat meat except the occasional sushi. Look at our teeth we are not ment to eat meat, plus i have the killing of innocent animals problem and the hormone antibotic and chemical problem with non organic meat. I never really cared for it much. Not even when I was young. Cheese and other dairy products are additive, the cows release a hormone (enzyme) that when metablolized by the human body gives you a feel good reaction. Thats what probably makes those cheeseburgers from McD's taste sooo good.
Even as a child I would have rather eaten an apple or tomato than candy. Everyones taste buds are different. I am glad that you eat what you like, we all should, but not if that love of food will cost you your life. I like beer. but there are people who cant drink it because they can not handle having one or two. This country is stupid when it comes to moderation and portion control.
As for the 5 ingredient rule. I ment for packaged foods. Not if your making something in your kitchen from seperate ingredients.
How wonderful for you that you can eat crap, brag about it , and still be "healthy".The funny things is that I see tons of guys like you every year, they eat basicially crap but they exercise and think they are healthy as a horse. I usually see them first when I have to walk in their exam room and say sir your having a heart attack, we need to rush you to the cath lab. Or the other time is as i'm pronouncing time of death and the family is just in shock...he seemed so healthy.
I didn't say all I ate was crap. I'm just not a fanatic and a food nazi like you, who assumes that everything they do should be etched in stone on every mountaintop. In my mind, I can have my 'feelgood' reaction with a glass of milk and you can have your 'feelgood' reaction from you baby carrot sticks (BTW, how do you think that innocent carrot felt when it was yanked from mother earth?). But for folks like you, that's not good enough.

And if you want to get personal about 'lard butts' and exercise, I'd be happy to compare weights and exercise regimens via PM (this thread is not the place to do that). I could be wrong, but I'll bet I weigh less than you and exercise more than you, even though I may not be perfect like you.

BTW, you'd better lay off that damn beer. That stuff is bad for you. Even when I was a kid, I didn't like beer. I always preferred water, milk, or a soda pop. There are additives in that beer you are drinking. They put them in there to keep you hooked. That's probably why it tastes so good to you. I've had several friends whose lives were ruined by beer. I am glad that you drink what you like, we all should, but not if it will cost you your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates