U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 PM

9,859 posts, read 5,777,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
My point was that she was saying she had to defend her healthy lifestyle to these over weight people. Then you come along and point out that maybe these people werent that overweight, but that because she's soo skinny and under weight that perhaps it's her fault not theirs...who's being presumptious here.......big hint....you.
We should not have to defend our selves for being healthy. She plainly stated that these women weighed upwards of 250+ pds.
My point was to simply enlighten you that you were doing the same thing that these women were....!!!!
First off, where in my posts did I say she was at fault? Hmm?... You should talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM

9,859 posts, read 5,777,142 times
Chubby people live longest: Japan study

Chubby people live longest: Japan study - Yahoo! Canada News (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090619/health/health_japan_lifestyle_weight - broken link)

Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM

530 posts, read 568,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Originally Posted by wyolady
I am 43 female, 5'10" and weigh 125 lbs after having 2 kids. My extended family is of average weight, with some overweight, some under and some average. I work very hard to eat healthy and exercise 3-5 times a week. BTW - I'm in menopause, not a bit of help in maintaining a healthy weight.
=============================================
Please refer to this chart and you will see that even for a small frame, you are considered 'under'. Maybe you are pre-judging those women and that your preconceptions of weight issues, are making them appear to us as bigger than what they really may be ?
Height and Weight Chart - height weight chart, weight height chart
Perhaps I misunderstaaod this statement then?
I'm not really sure how else it could be taken!
If it was misunderstood then my apology to you!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times
People are responsaible for what they eat. Nobody else, just them personally.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Chubby people live longest: Japan study

Chubby people live longest: Japan study - Yahoo! Canada News (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090619/health/health_japan_lifestyle_weight - broken link)
I've actually seen some info like this in the past. But people's minds are closed on the matter. The death camp look is all the rage (look at some of the popular models). Doesn't really matter if it's healthy or not. Even if there was overwhelming proof beyond a doubt that 10 pounds of excess weight is actually better for health, few would give it the time of day. It's all about appearance.

We all know that being morbidly obese is not healthy. At the same time, being a walking skeleton is not healthy either and truth be known is probably much more destructive than being a bit chunky (just like the article says).

Last edited by ChrisC; 08-16-2009 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 AM

1,584 posts, read 4,017,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
One even said she'd rather be obese like she is than be skinny like me.
Maybe, but does she want to die young? I doubt it!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:37 PM

275 posts, read 804,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
It depends on your point of view.

All restaurants in this country serve huge portions of food. It caters to over eating and the food is rich & fatty. It's addictive.

On the other hand, people have to accept personal responsibility for their actions. And eating too much of the wrong types of food is certainly our action.

But also, Anerica has become the nation of "I want it now". We're lazy and more and more people refuse to learn to cook and/or eat healthy. Almost all high schools have eliminated home economics. As such, while our schools are so busy teaching how to be a homosexual, things like nutrition have gone by the boards. But it's what people have chosen.

We also encourage kids to be inside with computer games rather than outside getting excercise.

There's a lot of blame to go around. First, we are personally accountable. Second, we have a system at school and elsewhere that encourages it all.

I agree with you and this subject is but one example of personal accountablity that is lacking in our country...where to begin or what to do to cause a shift in the mindset of people here today is the big question...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2225 View Post
I agree with you and this subject is but one example of personal accountablity that is lacking in our country...where to begin or what to do to cause a shift in the mindset of people here today is the big question...
You do it one person at a time.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,742,633 times
It is simple. If calories in are greater than those burned, well you are not going to lose weight.
FAT TAX.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
It is simple. If calories in are greater than those burned, well you are not going to lose weight.
FAT TAX.
You can't legislate morality...or healthy living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates