U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2009, 01:09 AM
 
141 posts, read 254,166 times
Reputation: 77

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.

IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...

Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....

Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.
the only people to be blamed for obesity are the obese people themselves.
whats scarier is the trend in renaming weight classifications sot ht size 10 is considered normal weight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
 
1,650 posts, read 3,365,450 times
Reputation: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
[i]
Groceries cost the same for the low income person in line behind the higher earner at the store and Mcdonald's charges the same for both.
Knowing what and how to buy and how to cook (not to mention bothering to make the effort) is the difference
This is true. One of the first things I did when I found out I was losing my job was stop all eating out and cook all my own meals. Even though I still buy fruits and vegetables, I found that my food bill went down by about $50 dollars a week. Buying junk food actually is expensive. A 12 pack of soda at my grocery store costs around $3.50 while I can buy a 20 pack of water for $3.00. With extra effort, you can still eat healthy no matter what your income.

I think obesity can be blamed on a number of things. People do not want to exercise. They would rather sit in front of the TV, Playstation 3, Internet, or whatever piece of technology that fascinates them. Parents do not encourage healthy eating. I have seen parents that let their kids drink 4 sodas a day. Lack of personal responsibility. Is anyone really forcing you to order that Big Mac everyday at lunch? No. People tend to blame McDonalds on their weight when no one is forcing them to order that Big Mac and Supersized fries at lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 AM
 
252 posts, read 580,755 times
Reputation: 355
I'm going to attempt to explain the "buying healthy food is expensive" point of logic, as a person who had to "build up" to buying healthy foods.

Making your own food is much cheaper in the long run. However, most poorer people think along the lines of "how much can I afford per meal?" and will see the $2 tv dinners and the $3 pizzas and think "that is cheap!" because its easy to figure how much they are spending per meal. But if they look at a bag of oranges for $4, they think "I'm not going to just eat oranges. I could buy 2 tv dinners with that!" its bad logic, but when you don't have a lot of "snacks" money, you skip things that might be considered snacks or sides like fruits and fresh veggies. Since most convenience meals include only a starch and a meat/fat, if they can't afford more, they cut out the sides completely and end up with a meal of over-processed starch and fat.

Another thought is "how long will this last?" because most of the lower-class people I know buy their food as soon as payday rolls around and don't buy groceries again until next payday. Most fruits and veggies don't last 2 weeks. However, something in a can or freezer food can last months (or years). Since america is car-friendly, they don't want to drive to the store a couple times a week to buy smaller amounts of groceries because its "wasting gas/time." So they buy little fresh produce because anything not gobbled down in the first week has to be thrown away and that's money they could spend on food that does last. Things like canned corn or peaches in syrup.

Third is the issue that when poor shoppers want to buy healthier food, they realize that they have to buy all the things needed for their meals at once. Pots, pans, utensils, measuring devices, spices, oils... the basics alone are expensive to start. Then, unless they want to eat the same thing every day, they have to buy MORE stuff. Then there are appliances like toasters, blenders, and electric mixers. Basics like flour, oil, cornstarch, rice, dry beans, noodles and chili powder with the cost of pots and pans is an easy $50. That's two months of hamburger helper (without any meat) and mac n cheese. And then there is the whole topic of organic/natural foods... in fact, I'm not going to address that topic because organic foods are STILL just an occasional treat for me. But if I had a kid, there is no way I could afford to go organic for anything.

Please note I'm not being an apologist for such people, but that I grew up in such a household where fruits were rare and veggies came from a can (in a choice of corn, peas, or green beans). A good amount of people are too lazy/"don't have the time" to cook. But some of my coworkers see me come in with my meals and they don't even know where to start when it comes to cooking, then when they want to try, they see how much it costs to start and instantly give up because they can't afford that sort of immediate commitment. Those are the people I feel for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 AM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
A 12 pack of soda at my grocery store costs around $3.50 while I can buy a 20 pack of water for $3.00.
Even more of a savings is just using water from the sink. It doesn't have the chemical contaminants from the plastic container and does not contribute to the waste that plastic bottles do. Most bottled water is just tap water anyway. If you are paranoid about tap water, a filter will certainly make it more pure than bottled water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
but that I grew up in such a household where fruits were rare and veggies came from a can (in a choice of corn, peas, or green beans).
Canned foods are perfectly healthy if canned properly. They have the added benefit of keeping for an extended time, which is especially nice in the case of some unforeseen problem that may cause power outages, ect.

Also, if canned properly (no sugar added, etc), the calorie count on canned food is not much different than if it were fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
 
326 posts, read 372,287 times
Reputation: 101
I blame the government. Check out this link:

Fast Food: Just Another Name for Corn | Wired Science | Wired.com

Food prices, specifically meat products, have declined for a long time. Number one reason: Cheaper inputs, ie corn. The government is subsidizing corn heavily, almost 10 billion a year making it extremely attractive to feed it to animals.

Read this:
" Chemical analysis from restaurants across the United States shows that nearly every cow or chicken used in fast food is raised on a diet of corn, prompting fresh criticism of the government’s role in subsidizing poor eating habits."


"
Jahren’s team analyzed hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and french fries from multiple McDonald’s, Burger King and Wendy’s restaurants in six U.S. cities.
In both types of meat at every location, a telltale configuration of nitrogen and carbon traces showed that the animals had eaten corn-heavy diets; in the case of beef, 150 out of 162 samples came from animals that ate nothing but corn. Fries were prepared in corn-based oil."



Yes, eating unhealthy is cheap. Because it is SUBSIDIZED.



How can they sell you unlimited soda in these fast food restaurants? Because it is made from corn-syrup which is subsidized. How can they sell those fresh fries so cheap? Because corn oil is subsidized. How can they sell burgers for under a dollar? Because cows were fed cheap subsidized corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
 
742 posts, read 1,048,666 times
Reputation: 345
as much as id love to blame tv and movies and such for obesity , the ones to blame are the parents.

kids arent taught self control. kids aren't forced to exercise more, how can i blame mcdonalds when its the parents that give them money and virtually drop them off in front of the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
I blame the government. Check out this link:

Fast Food: Just Another Name for Corn | Wired Science | Wired.com

Food prices, specifically meat products, have declined for a long time. Number one reason: Cheaper inputs, ie corn. The government is subsidizing corn heavily, almost 10 billion a year making it extremely attractive to feed it to animals.

Read this:
" Chemical analysis from restaurants across the United States shows that nearly every cow or chicken used in fast food is raised on a diet of corn, prompting fresh criticism of the government’s role in subsidizing poor eating habits."


"
Jahren’s team analyzed hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and french fries from multiple McDonald’s, Burger King and Wendy’s restaurants in six U.S. cities.
In both types of meat at every location, a telltale configuration of nitrogen and carbon traces showed that the animals had eaten corn-heavy diets; in the case of beef, 150 out of 162 samples came from animals that ate nothing but corn. Fries were prepared in corn-based oil."



Yes, eating unhealthy is cheap. Because it is SUBSIDIZED.



How can they sell you unlimited soda in these fast food restaurants? Because it is made from corn-syrup which is subsidized. How can they sell those fresh fries so cheap? Because corn oil is subsidized. How can they sell burgers for under a dollar? Because cows were fed cheap subsidized corn.
Seems you have a thing against corn. Whatever. It's one of my favorite foods (just behind oats and potatoes), whether just eaten cooked or as part of recipes such as cornbread, rice dishes (with corn), or cornmeal recipes. Love it.

As for the corn-feed cattle... What should we feed them? Maybe we could feed them broccoli, asparagus chutes, and bean sprouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
 
326 posts, read 372,287 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Seems you have a thing against corn. Whatever. It's one of my favorite foods (just behind oats and potatoes), whether just eaten cooked or as part of recipes such as cornbread, rice dishes (with corn), or cornmeal recipes. Love it.

As for the corn-feed cattle... What should we feed them? Maybe we could feed them broccoli, asparagus chutes, and bean sprouts?
I have nothing against corn. I am against subsidizing unhealthy eating habits. Here is a link that corn does for you:

Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity -- Bray et al. 79 (4): 537 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

"Our most conservative estimate of the consumption of HFCS (High Fructosed Corn Syrup) indicates a daily average of 132 kcal for all Americans aged 2 y, and the top 20% of consumers of caloric sweeteners ingest 316 kcal from HFCS/d. The increased use of HFCS in the United States mirrors the rapid increase in obesity."

"the food manufacturers of HFCS have developed a quite “legal” addictive substance adding to our obesity epidemic. The fructose in HFCS has a direct effect on the central nervous system in the hedonic (pleasure producing) pathway of the brain similar to alcohol. It impacts the central nervous system signaling addiction like cravings to the individual consuming HFCS. But instead of intoxication which you may normally experience from alcohol you have over consumption of a food or beverage that contains HFCS. Dr. Lustig states that HFCS should be regarded as “alcohol without the buzz.” "


There was a time our soda and juice contained real sugar, not corn syrup. Real sugar fills a person quickly and lets the person know he is "full". Corn syrup does not have the same mechanism. Hence people end up consuming 72 ounces of craziness without much thought.

Here is another study on corn oil and its effects on mice. Similar effects would apply to men.

IngentaConnect Long-term optional ingestion of corn oil induces excessive calori...

"mice, when given a choice, will continue to overeat corn oil over the long term, inducing excessive caloric intake and obesity."

Lastly about cows and your point on what to feed: It is not a matter of what to feed. It is a matter of a relationship:

- We can eat more meat than ever because meat is cheaper.
- Meat is cheaper because production costs are lower.
- Production costs are lower because inputs, such as corn, are heavily subsidized.

Lastly, there is a reason you love corn. It is addictive:

The Addiction Pyramid (http://www.nutrition4health.org/NOHAnews/NNW90AddictionPyramid.htm - broken link)

"[SIZE=3]Corn is thus especially important, as many sugars are made from corn, with corn being the leading cause of chronic food addiction in this century. As the food-addicted seek to find a more rapidly occurring and more effective stimulatory effect, this subtle addiction process tends to spread through alcoholic beverages and cigarette smoking."

I have no idea why our government heavily subsidizes one of the main reasons of obesity epidemic.
[/SIZE]


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post

Lastly, there is a reason you love corn. It is addictive:
I wish more folks would adopt the corn addiction rather than chomping those silly little carrot sticks and broccoli sprigs in my ear at work.

I suppose the arguement can be made that any food is addicting. Look at the vegans... They're so addicted, they won't eat anything else.

So let's hear it! In your estimation, what sorts of foods are not addicting? Whatever it is, try 'kicking the habit'. I'll bet you can't, even though you say they are not addicting. You see, there is one little thing these researchers overlook. And it is this: we all need food to survive! I guess you could call it an addiction of sorts, but I find the argument rather silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
 
326 posts, read 372,287 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I wish more folks would adopt the corn addiction rather than chomping those silly little carrot sticks and broccoli sprigs in my ear at work.

I suppose the arguement can be made that any food is addicting. Look at the vegans... They're so addicted, they won't eat anything else.

So let's hear it! In your estimation, what sorts of foods are not addicting? Whatever it is, try 'kicking the habit'. I'll bet you can't, even though you say they are not addicting. You see, there is one little thing these researchers overlook. And it is this: we all need food to survive! I guess you could call it an addiction of sorts, but I find the argument rather silly.
OK, it may be tough to follow my posts. I give too many links, too much information to absorb, but bear with me and read the following:

"the food manufacturers of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) have developed a quite “legal” addictive substance adding to our obesity epidemic. The fructose in HFCS has a direct effect on the central nervous system in the hedonic (pleasure producing) pathway of the brain similar to alcohol. It impacts the central nervous system signaling addiction like cravings to the individual consuming HFCS. But instead of intoxication which you may normally experience from alcohol you have over consumption of a food or beverage that contains HFCS. Dr. Lustig states that HFCS should be regarded as “alcohol without the buzz."

I know no study of similar effects of carrot sticks nor broccoli. If you have one, please feel free to share with us. Please feel free to add statistics on subsidization of carrot sticks and broccoli to your post as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top