U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM

530 posts, read 568,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Seems you have a thing against corn. Whatever. It's one of my favorite foods (just behind oats and potatoes), whether just eaten cooked or as part of recipes such as cornbread, rice dishes (with corn), or cornmeal recipes. Love it.

As for the corn-feed cattle... What should we feed them? Maybe we could feed them broccoli, asparagus chutes, and bean sprouts?
or here's a thought, hay and grass, you know the things they are ment to eat! That's what my dad feeds his and they seem to do just fine. Now they can't grow to killing size in 30 days like the ones used for Mcd's and other places because they aren't chocked full of chemicals, hormones and antibotics. They aren't force fed to make them grow either...but hey...we gotta keep up with supply and demand.
I do have to agree with you about corn, except in the high fructose corn syrup phase. I like corn and it can be added to numbers of other veggies and grains to for complete protiens....so no meat is needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM

We all know that high fructose corn syrup isn't good for you. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that one out! It kills me these new comercials saying that its ok in moderation. Note they don't say what that moderation is!!!! We all need to get back to growing what we can. Food that is closest to it's natural form is best for you. As far as canned vs fresh. I go for frozen if i can't find it fresh but if you have to eat canned fruit and veggies its still better than a big mac!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 AM

2,539 posts, read 8,565,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
She can have Sprite but no Coke.
I promise I'm not trying to nitpick, but I'm curious as to your logic behind that. Sprite contains high fructose corn syrup like Coke, as also approximately just as many calories and grams of sugar.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 AM

742 posts, read 1,048,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
We all know that high fructose corn syrup isn't good for you. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that one out! It kills me these new comercials saying that its ok in moderation. Note they don't say what that moderation is!!!!
well its chemically the same as suagr, so i guess whatever moderation for sugar is????

Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
It depends on your point of view.

All restaurants in this country serve huge portions of food. It caters to over eating and the food is rich & fatty. It's addictive.

On the other hand, people have to accept personal responsibility for their actions. And eating too much of the wrong types of food is certainly our action.

But also, Anerica has become the nation of "I want it now". We're lazy and more and more people refuse to learn to cook and/or eat healthy. Almost all high schools have eliminated home economics. As such, while our schools are so busy teaching how to be a homosexual, things like nutrition have gone by the boards. But it's what people have chosen.

We also encourage kids to be inside with computer games rather than outside getting excercise.

There's a lot of blame to go around. First, we are personally accountable. Second, we have a system at school and elsewhere that encourages it all.
Name just ONE school that teaces students to be homosexual.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
well its chemically the same as suagr, so i guess whatever moderation for sugar is????
Actually its not chemically the same as sugar. and also isn't metabolized by the body in the same way! Even if it were, we all know excess sugar is bad for you as well.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM

252 posts, read 580,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
He's probably just obsessively insecure about the time he got a boner while showering in the boys locker room.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Wow, they give classes in how to be homosexual? Didn't think that required a class as that your born that way....but this isn't the thread for that is it lol! Some people will never come out of the dark aged hate closet...oh well, their loss!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,993,535 times
OK, back to the real topic now...

Kindergarten initiation or whatever they called that...prior to the school year beginning, we had a group introduction. 8am, there we all are...and as I looked around me I was stunned at the size of my neighbors. And their children. It was disturbing. The majority of the parents in that room were over-sized. I'm not talking about being the average "big" or "heavy"...no - these folks were obese, could have shed 50-100 pounds and then been "big" or "heavy". The children were plump...

This was an example of Alabama culture shock, because in West Palm I was more used to seeing anorexic, cosmetically-altered mothers and active daddys.

Right next to me, there was a mother and her boy...he's entering Kindergarten, so I assumed at the oldest he was 6...taller than my daughter - most boys have a few inches on her, but he had to be 20-25 pounds heavier. He was already much over-weight. And in his hand was a bag of Combos or some kinda deep-fried cheese crunchy...that was either his breakfast or his after-breakfast snack...

Sad. I don't begrudge some chips here and there, but it was already evident what his future was going to look like.

Size 10 is not a weight. But we know what you mean...whoever that was.

Last edited by 33458; 08-26-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,537,754 times
Obesity is on the rise, especially for the children, because we aren't practicing good habits. Family's are torn apart, people are working 2-3 jobs and shoving their kids here and there in the meantime, and our society is a rush society. What do I mean? I recall for a period of time when my sister and I would get home from school and my entire family would go walking around the neighborhood for a while. I had a HOME cooked mealed everyday of my life - not heart attack and cholesteral in a box. We might actually bond while shuckin corn, etc. Now we have people raising their kids off of the drive thru. My aunt raised my cousin off of 2 for 1 pizza and mcdonalds........I think that's why he had an ulcer at 18.

Please watch, "super size me" (documentary). Since I watched that film a few years ago I can count the number of times I have eaten at fast food restaurants since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates