U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 PM

1,612 posts, read 3,258,206 times

Advertisements

When I first read the title of this thread I had to chuckle.

It seems like such a silly question! Of course, the "blame" must go to the person that becomes obese except for certain medical conditions or medications that lead to weight gain.

But, then I remembered, Hey! This is America!! No one is responsible for their own plight!!!! Someone or something is responsible for another person's problem. How else can the U.S. have such rich attorneys??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 PM

11 posts, read 16,365 times
The way I see it if it is a child that is under 13 then it is mostly the parents fault(along with society and the way that food is seen and used nowdays). When it is a grown adult then it is thier fault. Yes, I understand that there are people who have health conditions and other factors. There are a VERY FEW overweight people that cannot help thier size because of these issues. But in all due respect most of them just are too lazy, uncaring, _______(insert word of choice here) to just get up and walk a block every day. Or they just dont care enough about themselves or thier family to make a better meal option due to time, convieniece, or taste issues. Or they just have such bad self esteem that they give up on themselves and just keep getting bigger and bigger, in which case, they need counseling.
All I am trying to say is that there is no ONE thing that causes or is to blame for obesity. It is a variety of things and every case should be taken as a case by case to improve and eliminate this problem. Everyone has to learn to work together and yet also be accountable for only themselves. There is a very fine line there, which is the whole reason for the problem in the first place. Untill everyone can work together there is nothing to be done about any problem in the world. Its just too bad and too sad that it will never happen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates