Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 02:23 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Parents believe that the rear-seat entertainment device excuses them from responsiblity. That was the point of my post.
....ah good point...I'm glad you clarified it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM

163 posts, read 420,249 times
non one to blame but ourselves....

Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 AM

550 posts, read 1,214,754 times
I've said this before and I'll say it again for as long as there is obesity;

Unless you are too young to decide over what you eat and how often you exercise, YOU ARE ONLY AS FAT AS YOU DESERVE TO BE! If you are overweight don't complain! If you do not make the commitments to have a healthy body, then why wonder about your weight?

If you hold your activity and diet at a rate which will make you obese, you get obese.

If you hold your activity and diet at a rate which will make you fit, you get fit.

If you are one of those idiots who blame your genetics or says but it's so hard to stay off the sweets/cake what ever; your head should be ripped off your shoulders because you are making the most worthless excuses a human being possibly can, and you are IMO a disgrace to both human intellect and shape.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I blame America for America's obesity problem.

Face it, there's a McDonalds & Burger King on every damn corner. Truly healthy food is expensive and they put all kinds of crap in processed food.

Most of our towns and cities are anything *but* walkable. The car is king in pretty much every American city.

It's easy to blame the individuals themselves, but we should all shoulder some of the blame for creating a society which is geared towards being obese and unhealthy.

Some individuals are to blame, but it's really not as black and white as some of you may think.
A good sized apple costs 70 cents. Cheaper than a burger. Better for you too.

Besides nobody makes you eat the junk. I don't eat it. It is the EATER who is responsible. Nobody else. If people can't even take responsibility for their own eating, then maybe they really DO deserve to be fat and to die at younger ages.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,474 times
I am very surprised that this thread is going on as long as it has, its a cyclical argument between blaming society and the individual. But I will offer a point that may have already been raised but I am not going back through 42 pages of the same argument to find it.

I think we can blame society, not for having fast food and cars, but for being too nice. I seriously think we need to say whats on our minds to people, not hold it back. Like last night, a guy sitting in my aisle at the hockey game was HUGE, like I could not figure out how he fit in his seat huge. And during each intermission he came back with food (pizza, nachos, pretzel) and soda. And you could see it in peoples faces that they were thinking, wtf is this guy doing eating all this crap, but nobody said anything.

When I was in school we always made fun of the fat kids, and you know what happened, a lot of them got skinny(er). The others prob went home cried to their parents while eating an entire box of Twinkies because their parents would not agree with what we said at school. We need to be like it was back in school, make fun of people for being fat!!! My theory would only work if everybody (including families) was in on it and nobody says its okay to be obese. And people are going to give me all this crap about how its going to be damaging to people's psyche and what not, and I say thats a hell of a lot better than the physical damage they do to their bodies!!

Last edited by ulnevrwalkalone; 04-01-2009 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
A good sized apple costs 70 cents. Cheaper than a burger. Better for you too.

Besides nobody makes you eat the junk. I don't eat it. It is the EATER who is responsible. Nobody else. If people can't even take responsibility for their own eating, then maybe they really DO deserve to be fat and to die at younger ages.
Apples are $1 /lb at wal-mart right now...

Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I am very surprised that this thread is going on as long as it has, its a cyclical argument between blaming society and the individual. But I will offer a point that may have already been raised but I am not going back through 42 pages of the same argument to find it.

I think we can blame society, not for having fast food and cars, but for being too nice. I seriously think we need to say whats on our minds to people, not hold it back. Like last night, a guy sitting in my aisle at the hockey game was HUGE, like I could not figure out how he fit in his seat huge. And during each intermission he came back with food (pizza, nachos, pretzel) and soda. And you could see it in peoples faces that they were thinking, wtf is this guy doing eating all this crap, but nobody said anything.

When I was in school we always made fun of the fat kids, and you know what happened, a lot of them got skinny(er). The others prob went home cried to their parents while eating an entire box of Twinkies because their parents would not agree with what we said at school. We need to be like it was back in school, make fun of people for being fat!!! My theory would only work if everybody (including families) was in on it and nobody says its okay to be obese. And people are going to give me all this crap about how its going to be damaging to people's psyche and what not, and I say thats a hell of a lot better than the physical damage they do to their bodies!!
I'm a believer that bullying in school promotes mental toughness. Those who can't take being bullied and breaks down or commits suicide, well I chose to view that in a Darwinian perspective.
Some parents just never confronts their children about their flaws, or teaches any social skills, mine didn't, so the mean kids in school did it instead.

About obese kids, if my kids get obese you can be damn sure I'm going military instructor style until they are athletes.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
^ clap clap lovely sentiments!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Agree those last few posts were refreshing as hell. too bad they're spitting into the wind.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Agree those last few posts were refreshing as hell. too bad they're spitting into the wind.
Isnt that essentially what we are all doing here with every post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates